Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone use a Handheld GPS? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/228982-anyone-use-handheld-gps.html)

ryan450r 04-23-2010 06:54 AM

Anyone use a Handheld GPS?

Buying a $1500 GPS just isnt' in the budget right now. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the handhelds? I'd prefer to go with Garmin if possible but it's not 100% neccessary. Any experience with the Oregon 400 series or others in the same category? Any help from people with experience with these handhelds would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

bajabob 04-23-2010 07:03 AM

i use a hand held works good i try it in my car and my wave runner . i ahave a $1500 one in my big boat and the speed is the same $100 i paid garmin. it tell top speed mile you went time travel . i velcroe it to the dash

ryan450r 04-23-2010 07:31 AM

Model number? How are the charts?

damdonzi 04-23-2010 08:00 AM

I have the version of the 400c prior to the touchscreen interface coming out, and it is flat out awesome. Tons of features & information, deadly accurate and easily viewable in any light. Use it in the Whaler and think it is worth it's weight in Platinum.

ryan450r 04-23-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by damdonzi (Post 3094049)
I have the version of the 400c prior to the touchscreen interface coming out, and it is flat out awesome. Tons of features & information, deadly accurate and easily viewable in any light. Use it in the Whaler and think it is worth it's weight in Platinum.

This was the colorado right? They are still around a little even though they discontinued. They are about 1/2 the price of the Oregon. Do you think it's worth the extra money for the touch screen?

jmeng 04-23-2010 08:40 AM

Just wanted to point out that you don't have to spend $1500 on a fixed mount. Me and a lot of friends have the Garmin 440 and love it. Don't remember the exact cost but it was less than $500 and has a ton of info pre-programmed into it. I didn't want to put holes in my boat so the mount is attached to the dash with rtv silicon. Its rock solid but will come out without a mark when I get ready to sell. Might be another option.

damdonzi 04-23-2010 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ryan450r (Post 3094059)
This was the colorado right? They are still around a little even though they discontinued. They are about 1/2 the price of the Oregon. Do you think it's worth the extra money for the touch screen?

Can't recall the name, but I think you correct. The Marine version with all the charts pre-loaded. I have not played with the new touchscreen versions, but I think that is all Garmin makes now, so if you can one of the olders non-touch screen version, it would be a steal at half the price.

Indy 04-23-2010 12:17 PM

I used a hand held Garmin for a few years and had the helm mount cradle for it. I thought it worked great and had no complaints at all, you just realize you're using a smaller screen but the functionality is there.

LapseofReason 04-23-2010 02:27 PM

I went to the Bahamas my first time with a Garmin gps 3 plus, has like a 2.5 inch BW screen. I wouldn't do it again.

ryan450r 04-23-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 3094292)
I went to the Bahamas my first time with a Garmin gps 3 plus, has like a 2.5 inch BW screen. I wouldn't do it again.

I actually own one like this currently. I have saved tracks of all the safe routes all over the lake. I navigate at night by following these tracks so I know where my safe spots(no hazards) are. This works fine for areas I know but when I'm venturing into new areas I'm not familiar with I'm driving around with the paper chart in my hand and the gps running. PITA! I'm ready for a gps with the charts built in. I'm really interested I. The garmin 740 but just not sure if I want to buy a $1700 gps right now so thinking another handheld with charts is better for now.