Prop Shake/Vibration Question >

Prop Shake/Vibration Question

Notices

Prop Shake/Vibration Question

Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Prop Shake/Vibration Question

New to me 2000 Fountain Lightning with 500EFIs, non staggered, stock length lowers, 29p Hydro Quad IVs. Boat runs excellent, very happy with it. A time or two when getting on plane I had noticed a very slight vibration... occurs and disappears in about 1 second... nothing I had worried about.

However, this past weekend I was loaded heavier than I had been, lots of fuel, cooler, people, etc. I noticed it 4 or 5 times yesterday. I will be trimmed all the way in (tabs all up, or all down, doesn't matter). Just as the boat begins to lay over I get a little shaking. It either clears up as soon as the boat lays over or the minute I begin to trim out. It lasts 1, maybe seconds. It's pronounced enough that my passenger felt it. There is no noise that accompanies it, and I can trim all the way back in while running at speed and it doesn't re occur.

The boat is new to me, 177 hours, and seems to have been well maintained however I cannot speak for the condition of any of it's components.

Is this an area of concern? Is this prop shake? If so what causes it? It doesn't do it EVERY time, and it's not severe, but enough to notice. Any ideas guys?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

First thing to do would be to have the props perfectly balanced by a good propshop.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Props are cavitating while boat is nosing over onto plane. Depends on water conditions, weight distribution, boat settings.
My 03 35 Lightning would do it occassionally. Good idea to have props balanced but this will likely still occur for a few seconds until props get into better water.