Notices

OT: Hummer H2

Old 04-24-2002, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Hummer H2

Neighbor is a Hummer dealer ,we are discussing a swap for the new H2 for Karen and an equal price boat for his wife. Karen drives a Sub and likes it,can't get much info on the H2. Would it be an upgrade or downgrade from a Sub?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:28 PM
ROUGHSTUFF

Magicfloat, the H2 is a sweet vehicle. The h2 utilizes a tahoe chassis, but I have not had the chance to drive one yet so I can't comment on the ride. It obviously looks like a hummer with that tough off road type look but is smaller and more refined. The interior is very nice and funtional, but not as spacious as the Suburban. So, it really depend on your wife's likes. Keep in mind like the H1 the H2 has it's own special target market. I think it will sell well and the people who fit that market will like the vehicle. The Suburban is more refined, spacious and will fit the needs of a wider market.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool factor goes to Hummer

Cost of maint and repair goes to Suburban as does reliability.

Ride goes to Suburban for most people(not as trucky)

Off Road goes to Hummer, utility goes to Suburban

Stealability factor goes to Hummer(fits in a shipping container)

Towing is a toss up depending on Suburban options.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:23 AM
Tourist

I took the plunge yesterday and bought an H1. Awesome truck......did I say AWESOME truck. This one is used. Previous owner put a ton of money into it. total undercarriage protection, 3 flat screen TV's, Playstation 2, Every audio bell and whistle, winch, cb, alarm, etc............. truck ran out sweet. It rides like a truck. Not nearly as bad as expected. Picked it up 200 miles away so I got some time behind the wheel. It was pretty comfortable for me. The seats are hard, but comfy. Getting in was easy.....haven't mastered getting out. I'm sure I will find some easy method. Ergonomics are ok. I think a 6 year old could come up with different controls, but I probably say that about every car I own. I just got to get used where the button or switch is at. I was suprised how tight the steering was. Reminds me of my Jag., except for the.......stick like glue, fly on the wall control. Definately NOT like driving a full size truck with mudders and a lift. You can really feel the low center of gravity. It is a dog as far as acceleration. No doubt about that........it wont win any races, but that's not why I bought it. 1. tow a 31' Sonic 40 miles each way to Lake Mich. 2. resale. Size wise, driving it was no different then driving my full size GMC van. I didn't think it was a big deal. You can see the right front brush guard from the drivers seat, so the width orientation is there. It actually sits lower than most trucks and mini vans. I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. Anyhow, my point.

I talked to the sales guy,(they also sell new Hummers) he say, as stated before, its on a tahoe frame. He admitted that it was a GM marketing ploy to sell trucks off of the Hummer H1 reputation, which is pretty obvious. He has had H1's for demos and said he thought he would be really disappointed with the H2. He likened it to paying $56,000. for a tahoe with offroad body panels. To me it looks a lot like a Jeep Cherokee from the pics in their web site. I guess it's a toy, like anything. $105K for a new H1 or $56K for a new H2.

Jerry--Total Chaos

Old 04-25-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

There are quite a few H2's driving around here with manufactures plates on them. They don't look as impressive and bad ass as the H1, but I still see everyone slow down to check it out. I haven't had the chance to check them out closely yet though, as far as interior space, which was my gripe with the H1.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hold off on the H2 for a year. I think their trying to cram it through. I'd wait till next year.

I use to live in South Bend, IN (where H1 is made) and their building the H2 factory. I don't understand the nitch they are trying to create with this (tahoe). Maybe I'm just partial to the real thing (H1)
Old 04-26-2002, 08:11 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Thanks for the input. Looks like at this point the Sub is the best choice. And I agree,the H2 looks like a Jeep Cherokee.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:31 AM
Tourist

I think you are right. It is definately to break into the mass production market of SUV's. ALL just a knock off of the true Hummers performance. Definately wont stand up against its big brother, but it's big brother is not practical for most people. The H2 will fit in a normal parking spot.........not two. It wont turn heads like the H1. You can find H1's pretty reasonable used. I think that is some of the best money I ever spent. The ride isn't as bad as everyone says. Don't expect to carry a lot of stuff in it. It does drive easy. Normally, I drive a full size conversion van and the Hummer was actually easier to get used to. The asking price of the H2 is around $56,K. That would buy you a 97-98 H1 well equipped with low miles.

thanks,

Jerry-Total Chaos