Notices

HELP Shine it up

Old 05-01-2002, 11:38 PM
cartman

Cool HELP Shine it up

It's time to shine up the boat for another season. The boat is RED and has been wet sanded one time(several years ago) and is badly faded again, was white chalky when I purchased it. Is wet sanding the only way to bring the color back??? Ive tried every polish nothing works. I will never buy a red boat AGAIN. Any ideas?

Old 05-02-2002, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out for quite a few good answers/solutions along the same line!

http://offshoreonly.com/forum/showth...threadid=23468
Old 05-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Banned

I have two badly faded boats. I tried every polish known to man, compounding, and wet sanding. Nothing really helped. Then I accidently found something that worked. I was sealing my teak on the boat, and got some on the side where the brown was real faded. When I wiped it off, it left a bright shiny spot. Then I tried a spot on the transom, and left it for several weeks. It seemed to hold up pretty well, so I went ahead and did all the faded brown with the sealer, it looked 100% better. The only bad thing, is it is pretty soft, so when you get up against rub rails on the dock, it does leave a mark, but just put some more on, and you're good to go. I noticed it is fading a little, been on about 2 months in the Florida sun, so I'll put some on tomorrow. It takes about 10 minutes to do the whole boat. Use a soft cloth and just wipe it on. If you see spots you didn't hit on the first pass, wait for it to dry before hitting the spots, otherwise it will try to pull lines in the tacky sealer.
I also have a boat with some faded blue. I didn't have anymore teak sealer or know where to get that brand (it was in the boat when I bought it), so I bought some Thompson's water sealer and did the blue boat with the same results. I don't figure I had much to lose, the only option left was repainting, and the sealer comes off easy with laquer thinner.
I was talking to a guy at the marine parts place a couple weeks ago, he said he had an early eighties Formula that was black. I asked him what he did to shine it. He told me he takes vaseline, sits it in the sun to get soft, then wipes it over the hull. He said it last about a month, I haven't tried it, but thought I would pass it on.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

I tried that Vertglas with pretty good results. It can be purchased just ablut anywhere.

http://www.vertglas.com/index.html

Les
Old 05-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

Hey Les, I just started using Vertglas and haven't been happy yet. I just did the back from the windshield to the transom and across and back up. Where the grab handle goes all the way around on my Liberator. It is grey gel and it's pretty yellowed. It really didn't pull any of the yellowing out. I think I may have to paint to get rid of it!
Old 05-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Bo Knows

I also own a red boat. It was faded so bad I thought I was going to have to paint it. After I buffed it out with " TOTALLY BUFF" everyone thought I did. This stuff works great ! ! I bought it off a guy who demonstrated it at the 1000 islands poker run last year. His company is Fountain Of Youth Restoration & his # is 315-482-4293. He is a great guy to do business with also. He sent me his product before I paid for it. How often does that happen. Buy some, you won't be disappointed !

Bo

Old 05-02-2002, 10:14 PM
cartman

Lightbulb

Thanks this gives me some new ideas to try.

Old 05-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Milord, I don't think it will do anything if there is a pre-existing yellowing. I didn't have anything like that on mine just some chaulky gelcoat in areas. Vertglas seems to mainly work at removing the dulling. Have you tried wet sanding to go down a little more than the scrub that you get with the Vertglas?

Les
Old 05-03-2002, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Cartman, I know who you are