Notices

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bagger
Wow I win !
I wish I could say I did some in depth calculations but really it was just a guess .
Thanks Bob for all the great stories .
Always with some kind of twist and surprises .
When I told my wife Monica what I was getting she said
" Great now I can track where you are ". Ha I said .I need to turn on the unit for that to happen .
Bob and maybe some of you prop guys might be able to answer the throwing blades issue .
It seems to me that on larger heavier boats breaking blades off happens more often than on lighter boats . What if you ran a lower pitch prop faster ( changing gear ratios ) ?
Just an idea .

Paul
Yes Paul, you are a winner. A worthy fellow builder as well. Don't worry about Monica tracking you. It can actually be used to your advantage !! I will tell you how when I see you. LOL

My props are rated for 1200 HP and should not be breaking. I'm sure it is a combination of several factors and is costly and frustrating when it happens.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Bob, sounds like you got a pretty descent guy with a travel lift, and you can never underestimate how helpful being courteous and giving a descent tip can be. In the bahamas I learned very quickly that a descent tip will get you anything you could want. We spent a lot of time this winter in the bahamas on the yacht i was working on, and in most cases, I would always carry some cash just in case. one time we had to empty out 200 gallons of bad gas from the aft tank and refill it with new gas. went to the gas station in nassau harbour, slipped the dock guy a $50 and just dropped off about 20 6 gallon cans. came back 20 minutes later and he had them all filled. most guys in canada and the states would not be so happy to sit there and fill 20 gas cans, but these guys work for the tips. we give the dock master at Atlantis a couple grand every christmas to ensure that when we come into town he gets us a good slip.
Cash works wonders for sure I find that whenever I return to a marina I am remembered and well treated. Taking care of the dock master is important in getting a good slip.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr
That was AWESOME!

4.I've never seen anyone move a 50ft boat into a marina with boats on either side, with NO STEERING, in a friggin' crosswind, with a strong current, spin the boat around on a dime to get into the travel-lift, only to be told by the travel-lift operator to turn the boat around, spin the boat around AGAIN, and then get it pulled out of the water...INSANE!
Bob, I was right next to you on the boat, and I have no F...ing idea how you did that....Absolutely amazing!
(I would have simultaneously crashed the boat and pooped my pants!)
He drives pretty well for an "Old Guy" doesn't he

From now on please refer to Bob as "Admiral Barnhart"...Rest asured it is a well deserved promotion
Pictures to follow tomorrow....
H.
Well, he does have a personal navy at his disposal
Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

A few more pics to share.

1) the Bank just outside the marina entrance at Cat Cay 9 miles south of Bimini where we cleared customs.

2) Bob catching a few winks as we idled 40 miles back to Nassau. Check the position of throttles and shifters. Port side at idle / neutral as no prop. Center pushed forward to about 2,800 RPM. Starboard was about 1800 RPM with starboard tab down and port side all the way up. Sounds strange but was able to steer within 5 deg one way or the other by adjusting tabs, throttles until someone moved on the boat then had to look for new setup. LOL We were running reasonably on coarse for me to catch a few minutes of shut eye.

3) Pulling into the anchorage at Big Major

4) Northern Lights

5) Marc swimming with the dolphins.... er I mean pigs. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure-ba-20.jpg   Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure-ba-21.jpg   Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure-ba-21-1.jpg  

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure-ba-23-1.jpg   Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure-ba-24.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 05-12-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Sorry Jim, but you are a couple days too late with your time !! I know you are in a different time zone but we arrived ( the first time LOL ) in Nassau at 4:20 PM on Saturday. 1bagger guessed 4 PM so looks like he won.

Yes, being safe is number one. We never felt unsafe at any time since we left. Boat is now put away until we return late next week. I am now back in Toronto and looking forward to continuing the trip / adventure.
Bob
Oh well a couple days late, and a dollar short
The story of my life
Enjoy and looking forward to the next installment
of your adventure.
Do you have planned stops in Puerto Rico ?

Thank you
Jim
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

We hope to see in this area soon. If you make it this far we will meet you with a welcome you won't forget. Bikinis and Painkillers.

db
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Bob
Oh well a couple days late, and a dollar short
The story of my life
Enjoy and looking forward to the next installment
of your adventure.
Do you have planned stops in Puerto Rico ?

Thank you
Jim
Jim, not sure of stops in PR as wind will likely determine if we run the north or south shore. There is a good chance of a stop at Fajardo on the east side. I have heard some horror stories about the Mona Passage but can't be much worse than our crossing of the Yucatan Straits. We will figure it out as we go along.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Expat
Bob,

We hope to see in this area soon. If you make it this far we will meet you with a welcome you won't forget. Bikinis and Painkillers.

db
Thanks, David. Sounds inviting !! BVI is an unfulfilled dream and somehow I will get there. It would be a blast to do the Poker Run with you all at month end. Looking forward just as much tho to exploring your beautiful islands and crystal clear waters. I will keep in touch. Should be back on the water on the 21st all being well.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Jim, not sure of stops in PR as wind will likely determine if we run the north or south shore. There is a good chance of a stop at Fajardo on the east side. I have heard some horror stories about the Mona Passage but can't be much worse than our crossing of the Yucatan Straits. We will figure it out as we go along.
Bob

The folks from the Dominican Republic try the trip across the Mona Passage/Straits in skiffs at night.,, some make it and some are not as lucky.
On the West end of PR, you have Aquadilla and Mayaguez as big ports, Towards the south-west there is Cabo Rojo/Boqueron with some small marina complex/Clubs. Ponce on the South cost is large and then Fajardo in the East end has several very Large marinas, Between Ponce and Fajardo on the East coast you have Palmas Del Mar Resort and Marina south of Humacoa and of course you have San Juan on the north coast
Off of Fajardo is a small semi private island called Palomino which is owned by the El Conquistor Resort
also you have the Islands of Culebra and Vieques on the east end of PR,, Beautiful islands and great beaches

Enjoy the trip and hope the Seas are good to you, Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you

Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 05-13-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Bob

The folks from the Dominican Republic try the trip across the Mona Passage/Straits in skiffs at night.,, some make it and some are not as lucky.
On the West end of PR, you have Aquadilla and Mayaguez as big ports, Towards the south-west there is Cabo Rojo/Boqueron with some small marina complex/Clubs. Ponce on the South cost is large and then Fajardo in the East end has several very Large marinas, Between Ponce and Fajardo on the East coast you have Palmas Del Mar Resort and Marina south of Humacoa and of course you have San Juan on the north coast
Off of Fajardo is a small semi private island called Palomino which is owned by the El Conquistor Resort
also you have the Islands of Culebra and Vieques on the east end of PR,, Beautiful islands and great beaches

Enjoy the trip and hope the Seas are good to you, Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you

Jim
Thanks, Kim. That is extremely helpful. Much appreciated and yes I will continue to post as we progress. Glad I am not on the water this week. It is blowing 18 to 24 knots right into mid next week. Sailflow is showing winds dropping to single digits on Thursday, the day I am set to return. Hopefully I will get the window we need.
Again, thanks.
Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.