Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure >

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Notices

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have Fun Jay............Be good Now !!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtye8
Bob,
Been following along. Still cant get over the the pigs!
I Looked at the third pic were the pigs looked like 2 dogs swimming away.......... then I read your captions. Then relooked at the pics of the 2 pigs swimming towards the camera. Pigs!!!! Go figure
Sorry to hear about the problems...But still sounds like you all had a great time.
Will follow along on part 2.

Going on my first cruise next week. Carribean(Bahamas, St Thomes, St Maarten, Turks Caicos..Should be a great time in with beautiful ports!!!

Dennis
Dennis, let me know your schedule. That would be cool to bump into you in T & C or St Thomas.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

nice tread to follow !
Bob, do you thing most of the gas powered go fast boats could do the same run you are doing? or diesel engines are a must? how many gallons of fuel can you carry?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder

My props are rated for 1200 HP and should not be breaking. I'm sure it is a combination of several factors and is costly and frustrating when it happens.
I've been following your thread from England, and summer hasn't started here yet! My question is are your props rated for 1200 Gas HP? If so I reckon that the difference is that running diesels puts a lot more stress on everything including the props?

Bon Voyage - Looking forward to seeing more photos and the GoPro footage!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cookee
I've been following your thread from England, and summer hasn't started here yet! My question is are your props rated for 1200 Gas HP? If so I reckon that the difference is that running diesels puts a lot more stress on everything including the props?

Bon Voyage - Looking forward to seeing more photos and the GoPro footage!
Thanks Cookee. The Yanmar diesel engines are putting out 1250 ft / lbs of torque. The center prop which is deeper in the water has never failed. All 3 prop failures have been either port or starboard side which are closer to the surface. I think there is a connection there.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jeff32
nice tread to follow !
Bob, do you thing most of the gas powered go fast boats could do the same run you are doing? or diesel engines are a must? how many gallons of fuel can you carry?
Hello Jeff. Gas boats would get thru the Bahamas alright but only regular fuel available. The range on my previous NT was only 200 miles with a 400 gal tank. The leg from T & C to Dominican Republic is 190 miles so that would be close but could be done. Range on the diesel NT is 400 miles with the same 400 gal tank so lots of capacity and range there.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Bob, just wonderin...
did you have that guy make an extra hydraulic hose while he was at it?

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Hello Jeff. Gas boats would get thru the Bahamas alright but only regular fuel available. The range on my previous NT was only 200 miles with a 400 gal tank. The leg from T & C to Dominican Republic is 190 miles so that would be close but could be done. Range on the diesel NT is 400 miles with the same 400 gal tank so lots of capacity and range there.
wow! twice the mileage with same tank ! We don't see this much of difference with our trucks on the road, from gas to diesel !
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jeff32
wow! twice the mileage with same tank ! We don't see this much of difference with our trucks on the road, from gas to diesel !
It's true. Double the mileage. My operating costs have fallen dramatically with the diesel. I now have 350 hrs on the diesel boat so just broke in while with my previous gas boat I would have already done a rebuild and be well on my way to the next one. The saving are huge. What I am sacrificing is a top end speed of 76 MPH vs 100 but can easily cruise at mid 60's all day long and that works for me. Can still run 70's in a poker run and finish in the middle of the pack and cannot think of one run I did not finish.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Tomorrow I will be confirming who will accompany me on the next leg of the journey. Hint .....lets just say the pictures will be awesome !!

That would be Jayboat. Jay can stay with me from Friday till sometime into the following week which should put us in the Islands. Hoping he can catch some great pics along the way.

Also thanks to all the well wishes and kind comments. Thanks as well to dammmagnum, cowisl, and Pete280 for their helpful tips.
Bob,

Good Day
Just glad that i can help ,,even in a small way
Maybe I can catch you one day on Marco
My Friend has a house on Marco right over the bridge.

Safe Trip and hope the waters are smooth for you
Have lots of friends in PR and the Fajardo area , if you need anything

Enjoy ,, Be safe

Thank you for Sharing with us all

Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 05-16-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.