Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure >

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Notices

Bobthebuilder heading back to the Islands, looking for a new adventure

Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I will touch on later what inspired me to do a trip like this.
I'd appreciate hearing the inspiration. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Bob, if you are going to NZ can I ask ya to look up Ned.

He's got somethin of mine
Old 08-21-2010, 02:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Ah, the inspiration LOL

Originally Posted by tabajay
I'd appreciate hearing the inspiration. Thanks.
Ok, here it is.

On May 27, 2008 OSO fbrs started a thread about the 2008 BVI poker run. See link:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-run-pics.html

As you get into the thread, OSO Expat ( David ) starts to post his pictures of the run and chat with different OSO's including myself about the run. In my posts I mention that the pics are absolutely beautiful and that it has caught my attention. I had chats with David both on the phone and by way of PM and was hooked on the idea of going down there. As some will know I made an attempt to get there for the 2009 event and got as far as the southern Bahamas but no further as the SE trade winds would not let up for several weeks. We abandoned last years attempt and returned to Florida but did enjoy our time in the Bahamas. This year I thought we would give it another try and were fortunate enough to have much better weather and as you know made it down in time to do the 2010 poker run. Expat (David ) and Chrisann have become great friends and I have lots of reasons to return to the BVI which I will do over this coming winter. The Nor Tech will remain in FL but will likely send my Donzi 38 ZR down to the Islands. My only hesitation is it is a fresh water boat and hate the thought of introducing it to the salt water but will need to soon decide.
So that was my inspiration. Thank you OSO's fbrs and especially Expat for encouraging me to do it.
Bob.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Hey Bob, if you are going to NZ can I ask ya to look up Ned.

He's got somethin of mine
Alec you are so bad what are we going to do with you ?? LOL A little guy like me can't even collect my own debt's ! LOL
Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Ok, here it is.
Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

just read this.....

Truely amazing, I HOPE to get to do tings like this.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mittens
just read this.....

Truely amazing, I HOPE to get to do tings like this.
Mittens. Was just checking in on OSO and see you brought back a couple of my old threads. Just to keep you and others up to date on current events, Team PREDATOR is being hauled from Nor Tech to Port Everglades, FL tomorrow to be placed on a ship for shipment back to St Thomas. I will fly in to receive it after attending the Miami Boat Show and spend a week to 10 days cruising the Islands of the Caribbean again. I did not quite catch them all this last 2 years. LOL
A writer from Australia has asked to come along and I will give him a whirlwind tour of USVI and BVI so will be interesting to eventually see his articles. The plan is to spend about 10 days a month during Feb / March / April and May 2012 doing more exploring in the Caribbean before returning to US. I am undecided at this point whether to run it back on it's own bottom with the wind and seas at my back or ship after the BVI poker run but will get that all figured out eventually.
Also undecided whether to just do a continuation of this thread to keep fellow OSO abreast of developments or start a new thread but again will figure something out. Be sure to follow along.
All the best,
Bob
Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Bob, I have grown up on all kinds of boats, including a 42 blow boat, took around the gulf some, to some islands, and been in power boats with the rest of family all my life, salt and freahwater. A Bimini trip is next on my list for my own goals as everyone in my life never made that trip alwasy on gulf side.......may happen in June If I swap boats!...,and more will come as far as longer trips.

ONE day I hope to do some of the things I have read about today. Truly great stories, and documentation of the trips. Congrats!! The amount of money I see being spent is discouraging, but at the same time encouraging, if someone can do it, then others can too. haha or maybe they can!

Beautiful boat, great set up… and using it like you should! Good luck on the re-take of the islands, great waters down there. safe travels for sure.

also you give us younger guys something to truly admire, and work towards. if you ever need a deck hand, and want to meet a new face (young guy but knowledgeable), would be stoked, but i am sure you are not lacking those offers! ha

take care.

Last edited by mittens; 01-26-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
ONE day I hope to do some of the things I have read about today. Truly great stories, and documentation of the trips. Congrats!! The amount of money I see being spent is discouraging, but at the same time encouraging, if someone can do it, then others can too. haha or maybe they can!

Beautiful boat, great set up… and using it like you should! Good luck on the re-take of the islands, great waters down there. safe travels for sure.

also you give us younger guys something to truly admire, and work towards. if you ever need a deck hand, and want to meet a new face (young guy but knowledgeable), would be stoked, but i am sure you are not lacking those offers! ha

take care.
Ditto, especially on the part about needing a deckhand! Thanks for sharing!!
Hopefully one day I'll be fortunate enough to call on you for advice
I love the Caribbean and aspire to experience it all by water at some point.