stupid question from newbie >

stupid question from newbie

Notices

stupid question from newbie

Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question from newbie

Im not new to boating but am new to offshore and a boat having twins. I just got a 93 Powerquest lazer with twins. Heres my question, are you able to shut down one engine and just run on one if you were just cruising? Or what if one engine goes out you able to limp back on one. thanks
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Registered

Limp back on one, yes. Cruise on one, no.

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Banned

ok thanks, yeah i thought so, because usually they are counter rotating i beleive. But nice to know. Also any other weird querks or tricks to think about with twins
Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by nards444
ok thanks, yeah i thought so, because usually they are counter rotating i beleive. But nice to know. Also any other weird querks or tricks to think about with twins
when your docking point the drives straight, then don't touch the wheel. transmissions and throttles are all you need.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok thanks, yeah i thought so, because usually they are counter rotating i beleive. But nice to know.
No, it's because it puts too much of a load on the one drive now. Plus you have to add in the factor of the non operating drive creating additional drag.

Any savings in fuel, which I doubt you'll see, will be more than ate up in drive and coupler replacements.
Don't try to get on plain on 1 motor either. Idle back if you loose a motor.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Registered

Im not new to boating but am new to offshore and a boat having twins. I just got a 93 Powerquest lazer with twins. Heres my question, are you able to shut down one engine and just run on one if you were just cruising? Or what if one engine goes out you able to limp back on one. thanks
Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!!!!! I to am learning the ins and outs of twins but to compound the equasion , learning on a cat. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION,,,,JUST STUPID PEOPLE!!(usually they are the ones that dont ask...)
My best advice is to go through your boat and match everything possible. My list includes prop performance,(Came w/ one labbed and one not) Spin props to double check gear ratio in both drives(if surface) if carbed have someone put a vac gauge on'em and have them tuned together.
Please ask as many questions as you like, everyone on here holds themselves to a high standard and are a great help. If it involves boating you can find the answer on here. Dont forget to search old threads they can be helpful too.
Good luck