Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT. Truck Will Not Stay Running (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23042-ot-truck-will-not-stay-running.html)

cgarrett 04-25-2002 10:13 PM

OT. Truck Will Not Stay Running

I have a 99 Dodge Ram with a 360 engine. The truck has been sitting for a while to keep the miles off. (lease)
Wife needed it to drive to work today so I started it last night and it ran fine.
This morning she tries to start it and the battery is low and it just clicks.
I get home from work tonight and jump it. It just wants to crank and crank. So I let the other vehicle run for a bit and this time I press down on the accelerator pedal and it fires right up.
As long as I keep pressure on the pedal it will stay running but as soon as I release it it stalls. It will do this time and time again but will not start if you do not have the pedal depressed.

I'm thinking bad fuel pump, but I could use some advise.
Cordell

Tinkerer 04-25-2002 10:36 PM

possible bad throttle position sensor. any chance it got wet?

Look for nest in air intake.

26scarab 04-25-2002 10:37 PM

It sounds like the fuel pump, I had this with my 97' but when I kept my foot on the pedal it would eventually die.

I can't see it happening on a truck that new though. When you drove it did you let it get all the way on E before you filled up ? I've been told that this can cause a fuel pump to fail prematurely, I guess the gas helps keep the pump cool.

cgarrett 04-25-2002 11:03 PM

I haven't drove the truck for a while but it always started right up.
I didn't run the tank to low and it has plenty of gas in it. At first I thought of bad or old gas but it runs fine as long as I keep preasure on the gas pedal. The second I let up it quits instantly.

I don't know enough about the fuel pump but with my foot on the gas pedal it runs. I would have to wonder that if the fuel pump was bad, would it run at all?

I will have to check on the throttle position sensor and also air intake for blockage.

Could a bad battery be the cause?
Cordell

CheckmateF1 04-25-2002 11:05 PM

I agree with Tinker. Bad Throttle position sensor(TPS). You can get the trouble codes from the computer easily.

1) Turn the ignition key to run(not start) and off 3 times, leaving it on run the 3rd time.

2) The check engine light will blink the codes.

i.e. - - pause - - - - - would be code 15

There may be more than 1 or 2 codes so pay attention to the light.

3) write them down and e-mail them to me. I'll check my service manual and tell what the codes mean.

I used to have a 95 Ram so I've been through this before.

Good luck! Eric [email protected]

R Addiction 04-25-2002 11:55 PM

If the battery went dead it is possible that the ECM, PCM, ECU.....whatever the Dodge boys call it, may have lost it's program. try this, fully charge battery then get the truck running let it warm up for a few minutes just keep it running at the lowest RPM that it will. If you can get it out on the open road and drive it for a bit this MAY work. Check to make sure that you alternator is charging also. Good luck

cgarrett 04-26-2002 12:10 AM

It's working for now

I went out to try and get the codes that CheckmateF1 said.
The battery was comepletely dead so I jumped it again with the car. I tried to turn the key to run 3 times and leave on and watch the check engine light but all it did was go out. I tried this several times.
I then started the truck and kept my foot on the gas pedal for several minutes and it stalled a few times. I tried it again and all of a sudden it worked when I removed my foot it kept idleling.
I took it for a ride down the road and everything seams normal.
I returned and shut it off and turned it on several times and it started right up.
I hope that it works again at 5 am. I was going to call off work tommorow but now maybe I can save that vacation day for boating instead of screwing with the truck.
Thanks everyone for your help.:)

Cordell

MitchStellin 04-26-2002 12:22 AM

Just another happy OSO member who fixed his problem with the help of OSO members. We do make a difference.:D

puder 04-26-2002 12:26 AM

does it have gas in the tank :rolleyes:

Ike 04-26-2002 08:51 AM

Originally posted by R Addiction
If the battery went dead it is possible that the ECM, PCM, ECU.....whatever the Dodge boys call it, may have lost it's program. try this, fully charge battery then get the truck running let it warm up for a few minutes just keep it running at the lowest RPM that it will. If you can get it out on the open road and drive it for a bit this MAY work. Check to make sure that you alternator is charging also. Good luck
I taught him every thing he knows.
;) :D :)