Hydraulic Steering Check-Up Tips

Notices

Hydraulic Steering Check-Up Tips

Old 05-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering Check-Up Tips

I know this stuff is pretty basic and that most of you already know it, but a little reminder now and again doesn't hurt, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/20...up-essentials/.

The 2010 boating season is just getting started. Now's as good a time as any to head off potential problems before they start.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that article is a good idea. Many of the hydraulic helm systems have a small cylinder like filter mounted in in one of the hoses or even directly in to the Char-Lyn helm assembly. This filter can become stopped up over time and destroy the power steering pump. I fought a sluggish helm with a dual ram system for a couple of years then wrecked two pumps in quick succession.

Finally I traced all my hydraulic lines and found this filter hidden behind the dash.

I bought a third, pressure upgraded pump, disassembled and flushed all the lines, rams and cooler and reassembled with synthetic fluid and a clean magnet inside the power steering reservoir. The pump supplier said that the high pressure filter was not necessary in my application as it reduced flow and therefore assist. He preferred a spin on filter in the low pressure return line. my steering now works like I always wanted it to even at a 650rpm idle.