Notices

advice on first go fast boat

Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer
NEVER has one louver come out
Dude just messing with you,when we were young that 27 Magnum and 28 Cigarette were the baddest boats around in sheer cool.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...do yourself a favor and get a single engine---you dont wanna waste the $$ on extra fuel, the weight and the maintance expense is not worth the added length for you. i am speaking from my expirence ...i woke on up onthe wrong side of the bed and bought a 24outlaw(i love it) and then 2.5 years later i bought a 100mph hustler 344 ...if i could do it over again i would of bought a 30ft single motor boat!!! Needless to say i still have the 24Outlaw bc i loved it so much--i am putting a new motor in it now and then it will be for sale for $20k --if i dont sell it i would be just as happy!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
I did not need to speak for Donzi. It is called a press release. They did it a good while back.

I support the performance boat and boat industry quite well also. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last three years.

I think that it is great that you can recommend a boat you have never owned.
As for the PR - As long as Andy is happy, and the potential buyer can direct line his builders - all is well. When that line goes away, a used purchase becomes more difficult.

On the money - You and I both- it hurts sometimes..........

On recommending a boat you have never owned- its tricky.

If I spent 3 weekends on something, or one was in my camp- I could say I know it, but I wouldnt say I owned one like some other guys.

Ive been super lucky. I have been in many boat regattas and once sold Marine electronics for a living. This plus having a house in PArker AZ for a decade has allowed me to experience a huge amount of boats for anyone much less someone my tender young age (43 old fart)

Uncle Dave
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
As for the PR - As long as Andy is happy, and the potential buyer can direct line his builders - all is well. When that line goes away, a used purchase becomes more difficult.

On the money - You and I both- it hurts sometimes..........

On recommending a boat you have never owned- its tricky.

If I spent 3 weekends on something, or one was in my camp- I could say I know it, but I wouldnt say I owned one like some other guys.

Ive been super lucky. I have been in many boat regattas and once sold Marine electronics for a living. This plus having a house in PArker AZ for a decade has allowed me to experience a huge amount of boats for anyone much less someone my tender young age (43 old fart)

Uncle Dave
For the record, I think that a 28' Pantera is a better offshore boat than a 28 Donzi ZX. And no, I have not owned one either but an relying on the experience of some of my Donzi friends. Yes, it is tricky.

They are not quite apples and oranges. Yes, the Pantera is more of a custom boat and the Donzi is about 1/2 1/2. I almost did a Pantera for my last project but went for speed since I live inland. You can still run some decent water in a Donzi ZX though.

If you can pull off a Pantera for that kind of price and want a tough rough water boat....you will not go wrong. Bang for the buck you will not go wrong with a ZX.

What would I do? Well I have done the 100 mph thing now so I would do the Cig. If that checks out, it is the deal. You will not set any speed records but it is tough and has the wow factor. Classic looking boats always win at the dock. I can't tell you how many people have said "I think that your bigger Donzi is cool but that little Classic is much neater."

As if anyone can't tell I want to do an old classic 28 project pretty bad but like you have been a nice spender over the last three years. Maybe in three years from now.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Classic looking boats always win at the dock. I can't tell you how many people have said "I think that your bigger Donzi is cool but that little Classic is much neater."

As if anyone can't tell I want to do an old classic 28 project pretty bad but like you have been a nice spender over the last three years. Maybe in three years from now.

There isn't much about the Donzi lineage that isn't cool starting with the man Don himself. If in my rants I sounded disrepectful or unappreciative of the "founders"- no way.

The "little" one is cool, always has been- the classic little muscle boat.

I for one am a fan of smaller boats- and come back from a time when 21ft was big and 18 was "regular sized".

The newer ones 27's etc, I dont know much about but would be interested in knowing the details of.

I have a "big one and a small one as well" I have a "27" and a 20.8 Mod VP tunnel from Lavey with a wicked 406 in it.

The little one and big ones have vastly different personalties.

I say go for the resto!
Just remember you can always sleep in your boat but you cant waterski behind a house...

........and to the poster- buy a boat- its the last unlimited thing we have as guys. Motocycles kill you, cars get you thrown in jail, but fast boats for the most part- just cost you money.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-31-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: splling.... (see who catches this)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kilrbusa
...do yourself a favor and get a single engine---you dont wanna waste the $$ on extra fuel, the weight and the maintance expense is not worth the added length for you. i am speaking from my expirence ...i woke on up onthe wrong side of the bed and bought a 24outlaw(i love it) and then 2.5 years later i bought a 100mph hustler 344 ...if i could do it over again i would of bought a 30ft single motor boat!!! Needless to say i still have the 24Outlaw bc i loved it so much--i am putting a new motor in it now and then it will be for sale for $20k --if i dont sell it i would be just as happy!!!
There are a bunch of ways to look at the single vs dual issue.

yeah..ok..I get it, but at the same time large singles are really hard on driveline components- especially in the ocean.

I have a fast single now, so I went that way as well and ultimately agree AND I personally know the downside.

--- I blew a drive in the middle of the fog in the shipping lanes off long beach I would have LOVED to have the backup engine.

I have a "relatively" light 28 ft boat with a 700hp V10 and it chews drive enough that I feel compelled to spend 10K on on a new upper having just spent big dough on an upper and lower rebuild at 54 hours.

Twin Small block with bravos will be easier on the drives, easier around the dock, and get pretty good MPG.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-31-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
There isn't much about the Donzi lineage that isn't cool starting with the man Don himself. If in my rants I sounded disrepectful or unappreciative of the "founders"- no way.

The "little" one is cool, always has been- the classic little muscle boat.

I for one am a fan of smaller boats- and come back from a time when 21ft was big and 18 was "regular sized".

The newer ones 27's etc, I dont know much about but would be interested in knowing the details of.

I have a "big one and a small one as well" I have a "27" and a 20.8 Mod VP tunnel from Lavey with a wicked 406 in it.

The little one and big ones have vastly different personalties.

I say go for the resto!
Just remember you can always sleep in your boat but you cant waterski behind a house...

........and to the poster- buy a boat- its the last unlimited thing we have as guys. Motocycles kill you, cars get you thrown in jail, but fast boats for the most part- just cost you money.

Uncle Dave
I did not really take it that you are respecting the Aronow thing.

I totally agree on the motorcycle thing. As I have said many times, it is not like you can take your friends out on a nice Sat afternoon on your bike.

That tunnel boat sounds like a trip. Now where did that Cig go? I really want to see someone do that.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived. Uncle Dave

...and with the success the Laveys have had on the racecourse, you're spot on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.