Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   advice on first go fast boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230693-advice-first-go-fast-boat.html)

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kilrbusa (Post 3123643)
...do yourself a favor and get a single engine---you dont wanna waste the $$ on extra fuel, the weight and the maintance expense is not worth the added length for you. i am speaking from my expirence ...i woke on up onthe wrong side of the bed and bought a 24outlaw(i love it) and then 2.5 years later i bought a 100mph hustler 344 ...if i could do it over again i would of bought a 30ft single motor boat!!! Needless to say i still have the 24Outlaw bc i loved it so much--i am putting a new motor in it now and then it will be for sale for $20k --if i dont sell it i would be just as happy!!!

There are a bunch of ways to look at the single vs dual issue.

yeah..ok..I get it, but at the same time large singles are really hard on driveline components- especially in the ocean.

I have a fast single now, so I went that way as well and ultimately agree AND I personally know the downside.

--- I blew a drive in the middle of the fog in the shipping lanes off long beach I would have LOVED to have the backup engine.

I have a "relatively" light 28 ft boat with a 700hp V10 and it chews drive enough that I feel compelled to spend 10K on on a new upper having just spent big dough on an upper and lower rebuild at 54 hours.

Twin Small block with bravos will be easier on the drives, easier around the dock, and get pretty good MPG.

UD

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123705)
There isn't much about the Donzi lineage that isn't cool starting with the man Don himself. If in my rants I sounded disrepectful or unappreciative of the "founders"- no way.

The "little" one is cool, always has been- the classic little muscle boat.

I for one am a fan of smaller boats- and come back from a time when 21ft was big and 18 was "regular sized".

The newer ones 27's etc, I dont know much about but would be interested in knowing the details of.

I have a "big one and a small one as well" I have a "27" and a 20.8 Mod VP tunnel from Lavey with a wicked 406 in it.

The little one and big ones have vastly different personalties.

I say go for the resto!
Just remember you can always sleep in your boat but you cant waterski behind a house...

........and to the poster- buy a boat- its the last unlimited thing we have as guys. Motocycles kill you, cars get you thrown in jail, but fast boats for the most part- just cost you money.

Uncle Dave

I did not really take it that you are respecting the Aronow thing.

I totally agree on the motorcycle thing. As I have said many times, it is not like you can take your friends out on a nice Sat afternoon on your bike.

That tunnel boat sounds like a trip. Now where did that Cig go? I really want to see someone do that.:ernaehrung004:

Catmando 05-31-2010 06:48 PM

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived. Uncle Dave

...and with the success the Laveys have had on the racecourse, you're spot on. :)