Tabs or drives to level boat >

Tabs or drives to level boat

Notices

Tabs or drives to level boat

Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tabs or drives to level boat

Could someone explain in simple terms the advantage of using tabs instead of drives to set the attitude of the boat in rough choppy water? I usually run my tabs at neutral or just slighly down during the rough stuff. Then I use my drives to adjust the nose of the boat but I noticed Im either flying or plowing the nose. Would more tab and neutral drive be better? Anthony

Last edited by nordic95; 05-18-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I always find I am more In control with my tabs neutral I very rarely even touch them unless the boat is leaning to one side or the other. In rough stuff you do need some tabs occasionally but tabs will cause a little more plowing effect since it's taking your vertical angle ofthe boat out.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

I used the drives 95% of the time, but my last boat was very responsive to trim. I used the tabs to level out the ride in cross winds, once in a while when getting on plane, and if it was super snotty out.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that the Fountain responds to tabs more than any other boat I've driven. I have lots of friends say that they never touch the tabs, but I have to use mine and use them often. In the rough stuff, a little bit of tab goes a lot further than some drive...for me anyway. With a step bottom, I prefer to keep the drive closer to nutral and hang the tabs just a bit to keep her running level. I'm no expert by any means, this is just what works for me and my boat.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered

so if I understand correctly in rough sea's
try to keep the drives close to neutral and use a little more tab to control the bow of the boat to crash through the waves and not skyrocket?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

It really depends on what kind of water I'm running in and how hard I'm running. Generally I don't mess with the tabs much and run them +/- 1 number from neutral. Maybe just some small tweaking here and there. It is much easier to use the trim switch on the throttle and my boa responds very well to trim.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

Does anyone else use tabs to get on plane? I run a 35' Sonic which is known to need some tab to stop porpoising at low speeds on plane.... I have become acustomed to dropping the tabs right before I hit the throttles. Boat comes right up on plane without much bow rise at all..... I always thought this was common practice to take strain off the drive..... Am I wrong or am I correct in my thinking. Sorry to hi-jack the thread but at least I am sticking with the subject.....
Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I use a combination of drives and tab to control the boat, not one or the other or one more than the other. It depends on the conditions...

For instance, if you use too much negative drive trim in choppy water you'll bark the drives pretty hard so a little less negative trim and some extra tab go a long way. In a head on sea you may need a little more negative drive trim and negative tab to keep the boat in check and flying level. On the other hand, same size seas in a following sea I'll use slighly more positive trim on the drives and then use the tab to keep the bow from popping up... Too much negative trim in a following see and you'll be sorry and probably wet from nosing in all the time.

In the end I go by feel, it all makes the ride smoother and in turn faster/more consistent...
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
Does anyone else use tabs to get on plane?
I do, I run them almost all the way down. Helps get this heavy beast up on plane quicker!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I do, I run them almost all the way down. Helps get this heavy beast up on plane quicker!
what he said, with my tiger I run them down too to get up on plane, other wise bow shoots to the moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.