Notices

What injection?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What injection?

Hi guys

Just chasing your input on what you guys have tried and what you think works the best for efi systems on a naturally aspirated big block.

Am in the process of talking with my engine builder about building a 540ci big block (probably dart or merlinIII), the engine will be going into a new boat (only 21'), i have asked it be built to run on pump fuel, ultra reliable and make something in the area of 600hp. He tells me 650-700 is easily attainable. The boat will be used for some racing however it will need to be able to take the kids and missus on day trips to the islands (hence the want for reliability).

My engine builder has been talking alot about kinsler injection, i havent really had a lot to do with this injection system so wondered if anyone else had used it before, pro's, con's etc.

To me kinsler looks a little complicated because of its individual throttle bodies and intake runners and alot of intricate throttle linkaging.

I personally like the simple look of a intake manifold with a holley style efi throttle body, just much simpler looking.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Hi guys

Just chasing your input on what you guys have tried and what you think works the best for efi systems on a naturally aspirated big block.

Am in the process of talking with my engine builder about building a 540ci big block (probably dart or merlinIII), the engine will be going into a new boat (only 21'), i have asked it be built to run on pump fuel, ultra reliable and make something in the area of 600hp. He tells me 650-700 is easily attainable. The boat will be used for some racing however it will need to be able to take the kids and missus on day trips to the islands (hence the want for reliability).

My engine builder has been talking alot about kinsler injection, i havent really had a lot to do with this injection system so wondered if anyone else had used it before, pro's, con's etc.

To me kinsler looks a little complicated because of its individual throttle bodies and intake runners and alot of intricate throttle linkaging.

I personally like the simple look of a intake manifold with a holley style efi throttle body, just much simpler looking.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kinsler- if you have he talent to set it up - is the goods.
more responsive, crisper, and capable of ridiculous power.

The other thing you need for a kinsler setup is the money- bring a lot. Plus it looks cooler.

An MEFI 4/5 is a really clean way to go as well.

An injected - 650 -700 is doable but expensive in a marin-ized setup. Much more expensive than in an auto setup.

Pay attention to idle quality and maintenance intervals.

Keep us updated on what you do!

Uncle Dave
Old 05-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered

Thanks Uncle Dave.

My engine builder said almost exactly what you said about the kinsler.

I would have it dynoed and tuned at his factory, far less mucking around for me.

My engine builder is very, very good and been building high performance engines for over 45 years in all fields (ie. marine, drags, cruising auto's etc). Its not that i dont trust his word, i just like to know what everyone else has used and worked for them too.

Will keep you posted with whatever we decide.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Thanks Uncle Dave.

My engine builder said almost exactly what you said about the kinsler.

I would have it dynoed and tuned at his factory, far less mucking around for me.

My engine builder is very, very good and been building high performance engines for over 45 years in all fields (ie. marine, drags, cruising auto's etc). Its not that i dont trust his word, i just like to know what everyone else has used and worked for them too.

Will keep you posted with whatever we decide.

Sounds good, I have a " guy " myself and am fiercely loyal to him so I get it.

Ive got 2 boats now and have cycled through a half dozen setups in one of them.

the other is a totally modern ilmor 710.

Couple of question Id ask my builder are - will he be dyno testing the setup with the same marine headers you will be running in? Wet headers kill power compared to suuper loong giant iron headers typical of auto dyno runs.

Is it going to be closed or open loop cooling?

Uncle Dave
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Althought the Kinsler is cool looking, the Holley setup is very simple, works well, makes great power and is reasonably priced. I have been using the Holley setup for about 7 years now and I love it. I have used several other systems, but keep coming back to the Holley. It is really tough to beat. Good luck with it. I am sure you won't be sorry if you go with the Holley. Keep us posted. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails What injection?-650-efi-20-.jpg   What injection?-shane-547-efi-43-.jpg   What injection?-shane-547-efi-48-.jpg  

Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

just like they said i have a big inch street motor with kinslers indivituall runners pain in the ass to tune its like tuning 8 little engines driveability is not good i have been using the fast system with real good luck for years go with a throtle body and four barrell intake cant beat it im a fast dealer if you need help let me know
Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

For what its worth, I have two race cars that use Kinsler on 800HP 410" aluminum small blocks, with MoTec M800 ECU's. And even though I'm very familiar with setting up the Kinsler, I'd still never use it on my pleasure boat. I like to use my boat, not be re-setting idle airflow every few times I take it out so the idle speed is constant and it shifts into gear nicely.

Its not set it up and forget it, no matter what anyone says. And I've been running race cars with Kinsler for over 25 years, both mechanical and EFI.

As for the Engine management, there's no replacement for MoTec - if its in your budget. But its spendy stuff.

I've been thinking about converting my boat engines to EFI too, and because I don't race I like the single throttle body per engine concept with 8 injectors in the intake manifolds. Add TPS and MAP sensors, monitor fuel pressure, and use a quality ECU and forget about it.

I'll likely go M800 MoTec for the ECU's but thats just personal preference and because I'm a deep level MoTec dealer and own a race team that uses it all the time.

I've never used the Holley set-up, but if the ECU lets you do what you need and is reliable, that looks like a good reasonably priced alternative to me. Its the KISS principle - better to be boating than working on it.

Just my opinions.