35 Motion Udderly Fantastic/CatCanDo restoration >

35 Motion Udderly Fantastic/CatCanDo restoration

Notices

35 Motion Udderly Fantastic/CatCanDo restoration

Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to defer to those here with more cat experience than I. I've always been a V-bottom guy, so I can't help you. The mere fact that you knew that you were reaching a limit and backed off says a ton about you though. My hat's off to you! Stay safe.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Ccando - It's been a wonderfully documented build and the planning and execution was top notch.

From you last couple of posts, Is there someone reliable that you can have run with you that REALLY knows how these cats behave running at speed and can tell you when you are nearing the point of no return and/ how to adjust accordingly?

Just lurking for a couple of years, it seems that alot of verbal advise give here can also turn out to be hazzardous if executed at the wrong time or taken in the wrong context. Like everything its the fine finesse that makes the difference - especially to confidence and more importantly safety.

Again beautiful build! Beautiful boat - Always loved watching the MOO
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Another thing - and I don't know why I didn't think of this first - is the Tres Martin course. Experience dosn't get any better than that!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

A strong recommendation for the Tres Martin class. He will take quite a bit of time driving your boat and advising you of how to handle and control your boat. If he thinks something can be better as far as set up, he will tell you. I was in the same situation when I repowered and changed to different prop depth and to SSM props. I knew only that I did not have enough knowledge to be safe. I am far from an expert after taking the class, however I am confident that my set up is right and I can control the boat.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Guys-
I don't have your engineering or pilot skills, but have total respect for your workmanship and attention to detail. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice about when a cat starts to kite, but believe cats vary in if and when that would happen.
Regardless, you are my friends and I appreciate you backing off when Miss Priss becomes a smart ass.
If your "gut" says it's not right and you're afraid of hell breaking loose: then don't go there.

With your help I built my Jag, but I always intended to keep the speed under 130: although with enough power it could run much faster. The boat is always stable and although not as fast as your boat and many others, we still manage to have fun.

Maybe we're "getting older", but I believe the reality is that we have gained a sense of awareness from our years of experience: in all things.

Stay safe!
John
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Hi Guys-
I don't have your engineering or pilot skills, but have total respect for your workmanship and attention to detail. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice about when a cat starts to kite, but believe cats vary in if and when that would happen.
Regardless, you are my friends and I appreciate you backing off when Miss Priss becomes a smart ass.
If your "gut" says it's not right and you're afraid of hell breaking loose: then don't go there.

With your help I built my Jag, but I always intended to keep the speed under 130: although with enough power it could run much faster. The boat is always stable and although not as fast as your boat and many others, we still manage to have fun.

Maybe we're "getting older", but I believe the reality is that we have gained a sense of awareness from our years of experience: in all things.

Stay safe!
John
John,

That is the most supporting choice of words one could ever hope to recieve. Only true friends can write something like that......Thanks !!

We know you have owned a multitude of good boats and with your effort, only worked better. As you may have time, please, come over!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
A strong recommendation for the Tres Martin class. He will take quite a bit of time driving your boat and advising you of how to handle and control your boat. If he thinks something can be better as far as set up, he will tell you. I was in the same situation when I repowered and changed to different prop depth and to SSM props. I knew only that I did not have enough knowledge to be safe. I am far from an expert after taking the class, however I am confident that my set up is right and I can control the boat.
SkiDoc,

Thanks for the prompt, My son, John drives and I throttle. John attended one of Tres's school's at Texoma. Three students ran a new Cigarrette around for a big part of a day, and fun was said to be had by all.

Your prompt motivated me to ask Tres if he has time to come by and go to the water.....Thanks !!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Another thing - and I don't know why I didn't think of this first - is the Tres Martin course. Experience dosn't get any better than that!
TooStroked,

Tres is not unknown to us, in fact, I just posted on his Havasua thread. Subject to his schedule, we hope he will come.....Thanks for your support !
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Ccando - It's been a wonderfully documented build and the planning and execution was top notch.

From you last couple of posts, Is there someone reliable that you can have run with you that REALLY knows how these cats behave running at speed and can tell you when you are nearing the point of no return and/ how to adjust accordingly?

Just lurking for a couple of years, it seems that alot of verbal advise give here can also turn out to be hazzardous if executed at the wrong time or taken in the wrong context. Like everything its the fine finesse that makes the difference - especially to confidence and more importantly safety.

Again beautiful build! Beautiful boat - Always loved watching the MOO
speicher lane,

I concur, there is a fine line effect, confidence/safety VS; naive/cockiness, can play. Finesse is an attribute that can be elusive. Before finesse, one can wonder, is it a bull in the china shop or a diamond in the rough.

This project is now, in Engineering Terms, "deliverable"....However, more Engineering terms, subject to, Revisions. We don't know what those Revisions might be, if we did, they would have been made.....Thanks, please, chine in whenever possible !
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

" Subject to revisions" aren't they all??? LOL

I have been in skaters that ran literally like they were on rails with one operator, throw someone else behind the wheel (that *thought* they knew control) and you would be wise to be scared ****less.

Everyone is advising Tres' school as he obviously gives one on one seat time in your boat and he has credentials behind him... Last I heard, JT was also giving one on one seat time but you would have to research this out as to what obviously suits your needs/schedule best.

Hearing people talk and watching them run over the years has been interesting... most everyone can run50mph ( OK.. that's generalized for arguments sake). Step up the speed to over100mph and the group gets considerably smaller and for every 10 mph faster the number of people running this speed burns off like a bad fuel load. .... There are a fair number of people running these speeds but, from the sound of your posts, you are after one of the very select few that can convey their experiences from seat time directly you on the characteristics of your boat in real time.

Its easy to push the throttles a lil' bit farther but could've, should've, would've is always too late. He!!, now a days any sort of incident not only winds up here in debate but all over youtube.

Too bad there weren't more gentleman like yourself that had a bit of wisdom in having reservation to hold back. You have a beautiful boat - I hope you find the resources you are after to bring out all she can run safely, yet comfortably. Again beautiful project...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.