Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore? >

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Notices

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I know I really enjoyed this match up:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/873063/3535297

Hi Tim!

I remember that race, as one of my all time favorites and by the reaction of the spectators at that race, it was theirs also, judging by all the cheering I was hearing every time they went by us.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Down
But honestly what good is that class except for setting records? Only 3 boats built? all set up exactly the same?

last I checked that is what extreme racing is about??
Im sorry there is nothing "extreme" about 3 equally set up boats racing , it might as well be nascar. Add 3 or 4 different manufactures and add bigger tubines or a run what ya brung type thing then you have extreme! and yes there have been races with just one boat in a class. Just look at the "National Championship" the AM won with the old Bacardi boat a few years ago, except for the worlds they ran the entire season against the clock ! Not one other team to run against them and they still got given the championship thats what the turbine class is turning into. F@#king joke.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Hi Tim!

I remember that race, as one of my all time favorites and by the reaction of the spectators at that race, it was theirs also, judging by all the cheering I was hearing every time they went by us.
The crowd absolutely loved that "race". It was very cool seeing two grade A teams and sponsors running all out at those speeds. Piston vs Turbine. Sure it was flat water but it was without a doubt awesome.

Hope to see Dave Scott back at it soon.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
The crowd absolutely loved that "race". It was very cool seeing two grade A teams and sponsors running all out at those speeds. Piston vs Turbine. Sure it was flat water but it was without a doubt awesome.

Hope to see Dave Scott back at it soon.

I agree Dean, hope Dave Scott comes back soon along with Tom Abrams.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Well you sure made an A$$ out of YOURself with that garbage. I won't say anything else, I'll just wait for Scotty B and Marc Granet to give their opinions.

I haven't made an A$$ out of myself. This is an opinion based thread, pure & simple, not anything else. Here are some real facts for all the people that follow racing. The Turbine class, cost' somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 to 2 Million, to run per season. The sheer cost' of the boat & turbines is 5X what it would cost to buy a boat & operate a 750/850 class boat for 3 years.

On another note, here is a legitimate question: What do you think the public rather see? 5-10 Piston Powered Supercats racing OR 1 or 2 Turbine powered boats running around in circles? Personally, I myself find it much more entertaining to watch a bigger class running that may not do 200 MPH, than to watch 1 & occasionally 2 boats race each other. How can a team call itself a National or World Champion when they don't race anybody for 50-75% of the season.

The purpose of a champion, is to have a class that has enough boats, to make the class competitive. This is purely my opinion, but it would seem that there are a lot more racers/ teams that can afford a piston powered boat, than those that can afford to spend the money on turbine power.

I am not against Turbines. I enjoy watching them run & spending time chatting with the teams. John, Scotty, Marc, Scott N, Mikey, Carlos, Bobby, & everyone else that makes AMF Racing/ Geico what it is, are a pleasure to be around. The only thing I am saying, is that they are essentially a very limited class, to which only the extremely wealthy can afford. What's the point of having a class that currently has 3 boats in it, which rarely race each other, & to which most of the racers cannot afford to be a part of? For a pleasure boat they are fine, and for speed records, they'll do great. Just because you can afford to spend the money, does not always mean you should spend the money.

Flame Suit on, ready for the the ensuing fire-storm.

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I know I really enjoyed this match up:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/873063/3535297
I've never seen this video. That is Awesome. And I love the sound of the piston power. You hear it coming & going. Maybe my hearing is bad which I sincerely doubt, but I don't hear the sound of the turbines over the the piston blocks.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do you get the actual cost estimate for 1-2 million for a season?

That includes?

What do yo honestly think it would cost the same team to run the same season with just the power source being different?

I'd say the engines are probably the lowest cost denominator in this equation. Trucks, transportation, storage, crew, flights, meals, hotels, propellers, drives, maintenance, etc. etc.. cost more than the actual racing does especially when there are 10 or so people on a team.

Before there were Turbine powered boats in "Extreme Class" there was no more than 3 boats (regularly) running in it for a season either so I would honestly say not much has changed now, just the power source. Extreme has always been a very limited class that the elite can participate in. Do you think that AM went to the Turbines to reduce cost or to raise it?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbine class is not dead it just getting started. There are other teams other then the ones mention in this thread. People love big very fast boats a fantasize about running them and always will. Put together a Turbine class team and see if Miss Geico, or JBS or any other turbine team will just let you take a checkered flag. I'm sure you will have to RACE them for it. Jo
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Eaton Photos
I haven't made an A$$ out of myself. This is an opinion based thread, pure & simple, not anything else. Here are some real facts for all the people that follow racing. The Turbine class, cost' somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 to 2 Million, to run per season. The sheer cost' of the boat & turbines is 5X what it would cost to buy a boat & operate a 750/850 class boat for 3 years.

On another note, here is a legitimate question: What do you think the public rather see? 5-10 Piston Powered Supercats racing OR 1 or 2 Turbine powered boats running around in circles? Personally, I myself find it much more entertaining to watch a bigger class running that may not do 200 MPH, than to watch 1 & occasionally 2 boats race each other. How can a team call itself a National or World Champion when they don't race anybody for 50-75% of the season.

The purpose of a champion, is to have a class that has enough boats, to make the class competitive. This is purely my opinion, but it would seem that there are a lot more racers/ teams that can afford a piston powered boat, than those that can afford to spend the money on turbine power.

I am not against Turbines. I enjoy watching them run & spending time chatting with the teams. John, Scotty, Marc, Scott N, Mikey, Carlos, Bobby, & everyone else that makes AMF Racing/ Geico what it is, are a pleasure to be around. The only thing I am saying, is that they are essentially a very limited class, to which only the extremely wealthy can afford. What's the point of having a class that currently has 3 boats in it, which rarely race each other, & to which most of the racers cannot afford to be a part of? For a pleasure boat they are fine, and for speed records, they'll do great. Just because you can afford to spend the money, does not always mean you should spend the money.

Flame Suit on, ready for the the ensuing fire-storm.

I've never seen this video. That is Awesome. And I love the sound of the piston power. You hear it coming & going. Maybe my hearing is bad which I sincerely doubt, but I don't hear the sound of the turbines over the the piston blocks.
Hey Jimmy, I think the point of having a class with "just" three Big Beautiful Turbine Boats in it is, WE have other classes racing with them. I understand, a lot of money, time, labor , ect. but if this is what these three teams want, who are we to say anything about them. They all put on a great show, spread for everyone. I'm sure it takes a lot of ball$ to get in one of those boats in racing conditions and run the $hit outta them, I know it ain't for me so God Bless those crazy ba$tards running them. Ya wanna seem some real good offshore racing, watch our class 5 and 6 Boyz this Sunday...Not to take anything away from our other classes but there is some real heart and soul there plus all our other classes. Later, Augie
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Never only seen 1 boat in EACH class..u must of been there when there was testing !!!!

And for the Turbine class, i think its cool and my hats off to Haggin for helping teams and such..but racing ..NO its a show boat ,,fast. but still a show boat as well as the other 2 ..sorry.
Like i said , i think its cool and it draws a croud,,,but it really does not help small teams at all...they will fall further back and then they can run their 3 turbines ! IMO
If they would of gone and spend that kind of money on sponsoring little teams they could of sponsored 10-20 teams for that kind of green..so 3 X lets say 15 is 45.. we would have 45 more boats at each event !!!!!!!
Wouldn't that be cool ??

Each class could have geico or something else on the side...but hey..it is what it is !!!!!!
Scotty, German Bit$h...Ya never know whom is lurking behind these computers, and you know this person pretty well.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AugiePensa
Scotty, German Bit$h...Ya never know whom is lurking behind these computers, and you know this person pretty well.
I bet he drives a black Caddy too !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.