cmi vs gill w/silent choice >

cmi vs gill w/silent choice

Notices

cmi vs gill w/silent choice

Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cmi vs gill w/silent choice

Hey all, what's the hp diff between the 2. Say I had a dyno of 600hp with cmi-& then switched to gill......same or what's plus/minus
Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I too would like to know, if you gain any hp with the E-Tops versus the Gils, or is the hp gain negligible, or do you need to go the full length sport tubes to gain hp? Have any of the engine builders on this board tested (dyno) the difference?

Good question, Paintman...

My $.02 opinion, I would think that the E-Top and Gils wopuld produce similar hp number for your example (600 hp engine). The sport tube (longer runner length) would produce more hp, at a higher cost too ($$$).

Last edited by Smarty; 05-29-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered

hey smarty thanks.............i was "told" that the gill would be 50hp less............. i switched from the etops , wanted the silent choice but if there is that much hp diff maybe i should have just added the mufflers
Old 05-30-2010, 08:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by paintman
hey smarty thanks.............i was "told" that the gill would be 50hp less............. i switched from the etops , wanted the silent choice but if there is that much hp diff maybe i should have just added the mufflers
It is one of those it depends answers? I have Gils with Silent Choice, and cannot run a big cam due to reversion issues, if I got rid of the Silent Choice, I could have the water mix later and run a bigger cam and get more hp, but with my set-up it is a domino effect of a larger intake/plenum, larger injectors (more psi), ECU reprogram...to compliment the bigger cam.

My father (this was his boat and motors) wanted his 540 cu.in EFI motors to be mild, and run quiet, and hp was the trade-off with the Gils, but I would think Gils would last longer than welded headers ( he worried about cracked headers with the CMI's). I am not expert, so maybe the more experienced OSO brotheren will comment.
Attached Thumbnails cmi vs gill w/silent choice-540s.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 05-30-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

hey maybe i shouldnt have used a name brand in the title?...just wantin some feed back theres gotta be somebody who has ran the #'s
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

Default Myth Busting

There was a test on here some time ago where an engine builder did some head to head comparison....not sure if it fits all your criteria but some at least....

Click on the "View High performance Projects" in red on left side...

Next click on top link "496 Mag Dyno Testing......."

http://www.fullthrottlemarine.com/
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

No way it will be a 50hp. Maybe 10-15hp. I switched from Gils to CMI's on my 525SC and saw no difference at all in top speed.
Make sure you don't have reversion issues if using the short silent choice risers.