Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT Gumball 3000 Ralley!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/23174-ot-gumball-3000-ralley.html)

CBR 04-28-2002 12:06 AM

OT Gumball 3000 Ralley!!!!!!

Imagine a bus load of tired NY workers heading home on
the NJ Transit bus at around 7:30pm last Thursday. Some are sleeping, some are reading, some are blankly staring out the
window, like me. Suddenly, I notice our bus cut off a
sticker festooned Black Ferrari 550, with COULD IT BE?
a GUMBALL RALLEY 3000 GUMBALL STICKER ON THE HOOD,
that was trying to enter the Lincoln Tunnel out of
Manhattan. Yeah, we beat it! <ggg>

I leaped out of my seat in the rear of the bus,
gasping in amazement, and trying to get a better look.
People looked at me like I was nuts, nothing unusual about that. Then I explained to the surprised people next to me what I suspected it was all about, having seen the Great Gumball Ralley movie and the lessor quality Cannonball Run movies about twenty years ago. These were based on the actual, and highly illegal races between NYC and LA supported by Car and Driver mag and its editor Brock Yates back in the early 1970s. "Oh, yes." Several people exclaimed, "we have seen the Cannonball Run Movies." I told them Gumball Ralley was the best of the bunch and it appeared were now IN IT!

Soon the entire back half of the bus was excitedly
cranning their necks to see. "Wait" I said, "I bet the Ferrari
passes us soon." Sure enough, all twelve cylinders
were in full song as it ripped past us, all bus
pssengers faces pressed against the glass. Then the elderly Chinese lady next to me excitedly jabbed her elbow into my side... "look there are a bunch more of them" and a
load of other cars, similarly festooned passed,
including a new Jag flying a British Flag from the
trunk. It looked like Keith Richards in the F50
without the top on, but I could be wrong. He did not
look happy on the wet road, and looked very old
indeed.

IT WAS SO COOL!!! Anyway, I checked the web, and they
have a site up.....www.gumball3000.com. There is a link there to a bunch of pictures taken at the start.....aprox $10,000 for each car to enter this Gumball, but about 110 did. Hey, I want to enter the family WS6 in the next year event!!! An OSO contingent for next year??

jbrauer 04-28-2002 10:31 AM

They all stopped in Nashville on Friday. Didn't get to go see all of the cars, but did see one on the highway... no Ferarri though. It was a late model Mustang GT with three sleepy passengers, stickers all over, and NY tags.

SLINGSHOT 04-28-2002 02:47 PM

seen em

at about 630 on my way back from zul's 3 911 turbos passed us at over 120mph southbound nj tpk what a sight!

mcollinstn 04-28-2002 05:13 PM

I was out of town, but my bud saw a 911 on the side of the road and a Diablo stopped and got out to assist. Both had Rally stickers on them.

Another friend spoke to two that had stopped together at an Amoco to fill their tanks. A 360 Modena and an NSX. One had a stack of speeding tickets an inch thick that he proudly displayed.

Too cool.