Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XR style upper unit - for sale or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/231911-xr-style-upper-unit-sale-not.html)

rvrrat 06-03-2010 02:56 PM

XR style upper unit - for sale or not?

There is a guy here selling a XR style upper unit that I would like to buy. But I have no idea of the condition of the drive. So the guy tells me to call some other guy and he can vouch for the condition. Ok, now I have 2 guys I don't know telling me this upper is in good shape. I don't think so.

So I tell the guy lets do this. I will pay your asking price if we can do this:

1. You ship the upper to the shop that built the drive. I'm thinking $150 or so to do this.
2. I will pay for them to inspect it. $250 max.

If the drive doesn't check out, we can renegotiate the price (depending on what needs to be repaired) or you can pay to have it shipped back to you and I eat the inspection cost. The shop credibility is not an issue, they are very well known and they built the drive. So this isn't an issue.

I tell the guy if the drive checks out you'll get your asking price less $150 for shipping. Seems fair right?

But the guy tells me to pound sand. So I'm thinking there is something wrong with the drive at this point. Who would turn down asking price - $150?

Weird right?

t500hps 06-03-2010 08:36 PM

It could be on the up and up but who knows.......your correct that even though most deals are straight forward, too many go bad lately.

I've got an entire XR drive for sale that has a new case, gears, bearings, seals that I'll work some kind of inspection deal out with you if interested.......I even have a guy that will tell you how good it is!! (LOL, just kidding)

PM me if interested in the XR.

Griff 06-04-2010 01:07 AM

I highly doubt you will be able to have the drive completely torn down and inspected for $250. That is 2.5 hours labor or so. I would bet it would be 4 hrs minimum plus a new seal kit, so closer to $500.

Then what happens if you find a better deal and change your mind.......he'd be stuck with the bill.

If you want perfect and new, then buy new. If you want a used price, then it will be used.

rvrrat 06-05-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3126848)
I highly doubt you will be able to have the drive completely torn down and inspected for $250. That is 2.5 hours labor or so. I would bet it would be 4 hrs minimum plus a new seal kit, so closer to $500.

Then what happens if you find a better deal and change your mind.......he'd be stuck with the bill.

If you want perfect and new, then buy new. If you want a used price, then it will be used.

No, I'm paying for the inspection not him. Never said I was looking for perfect. But he isn't exactly selling it at a rock bottom price either.

Would you take a stranger's word that the upper was "in perfect condition" and pay his asking price without having it inspected? I don't think so.

Seemed like a fair deal to me. Guess not.

Shorgasm 06-05-2010 02:06 PM

I've sold many used Bravos and no way would I waste my time letting you ship it somewhere to have it taken apart and checked over.

It would have nothing to do with the drive.It's used and it works right come get it or not.

bowtie 06-05-2010 06:20 PM

Why don't you just buy a new drive? Nobody's going to go to all that trouble to sell a used drive and lose 150.00 to boot.

MANITIE 06-05-2010 08:47 PM

was looking for a used XR for a couple of weeks....after seeing some of the pricing...it was not much more to buy a new XR upper from Teague and had it in 2 days....you need to buy new....

SDFever 06-06-2010 12:52 AM

Gavin Marine did me well on my deal. He puts them together (upper and lower only).

I bet you could buy the half you need at a real decent price...

rvrrat 06-06-2010 12:23 PM

Its not a Merc case. And you all know what it could cost if the gear set/bearings are bad.

Just saying. Guy says he wants to sell a drive but offers no proof the gear set/big ticket items are in good condition. And refuses to let you have it checked out by the OEM (on the buyers nickel). Not some other shop, the shop that built the thing.

You buy a used car normally you can have your mechanic check it out right?

Personally I would want the drive checked out if I were selling it. Wouldn't want someone coming back to me saying I sold them a bucket of junk.

Interesting responses here for sure. I'm not a gambler, so I'm not buying that upper. Someone with common sense will eventually sell one. Its going to be a spare, I've already spent good money to have a new one built.

BenPerfected 06-06-2010 08:29 PM

I think your proposal is fair. He will likely have to crate it to sell it. Maybe a three way call with all involved could get everyone comfortable on who would be responsible for what.