Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232334-driver-46-why-did-you-delete-your-thread.html)

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mastercraft240 (Post 3132621)
Dude your an IDIOT! Stop talking before you make yourself look any dumber....

Some fing idiots on this board..........

Nice intelligent post... Good thing you "contributed" to the thread...

:coolcowboy:

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3132645)
To use your own example.

Would you balme the manufacturer or say the bike needed to be re-designed if someone that owned a Ducati 998 traded the bike in on a Harley Davidson Road King and this said rider pushed the road king to the limits he was used to on a 998? Who's at fault? The Road king does not perform the same as a 998. Or better yet, is it the manufacturer's responsiblity to ensure it's riders of these high performance street bikes realize they are riding street version race bikes and to go over all the enherant dangers of such? Is it the manufacturers fault the rider is retarded when they do something stupid? I think not.

It's pretty common knowledge (or at least it seems it should be), you don't turn a stepped bottom hull with the drives tucked in or the tabs down. It airates the rear of the hull and cause the bow to hook.

Common concern with step bottom boats. Just as it's a common concern you don't run a Road King through the canyons at 80.

I'm not getting defensive, I'm mearly stating facts.

OL's does not need to re-design their hulls. In all reality, it is not really ANY manufacturers responsibility to ensure it's drivers opporate their boats/cars/bikes in a safe manner. It's nice that some offer a driving course but not required. Just as it's not Ferrari's responsiblity to ensure it's drivers obey all the traffic laws, or that HD riders realize their not riding sport bikes, or Ducati/Yamaha/Suzuki street bike riders realize they're driving a racing machine on the street.

Sh!t happens man. A little personal responsibility and accountability would be refreshing in this industry.

Good post Tank...

But it is an apples to oranges comparison.

To put it in marine terms what you're basically saying is if you have a guy that used to drive a 35' Cig and he tries to drive his 50' Sundancer in the same manner it will crash. This is different due to the fitness of purpose of the vehicle - the 50' Sundancer wasn't built to be driven that way, it's not marketed as such and the manufacturer shouldn't be held responsible for that reason.

I agree with you that its not up to the boat manufacturer to ensure that their boats are driven properly, but it is up to the manufacturer to disclose issues that the boats may have that are not common to other vessels. This is sort of like SUV's being equipped with warning labels about being susceptible to rolling over.

Other interesting points - we do regulate which models of Ferraris, Lamborghini's, Jaguars, etc. are allowed to be imported here in the US. Despite having all of the required hardware (wipers, headlights, blinkers) the U.S. Govt. has deemed some of those vehiciles not road worthy, even though they can be driven on the street.

Note: I'm not saying that performance boat manufacturers should be responsible for other people's ridiculous actions (which is certainly being implied and inferred to my point). I'm 100% all for individual responsibility, no government regulations (I would go much further than the majority of this board for a lack of govt. regulation), and holding people accountable. That said, if a particular hull design is having a problem or if a particular manufacturer is a much higher propensity to crash then it needs to be corrected.

And again... I have NEVER said that OL's NEED to be redesigned. I have only correctly stated that it is possible to redesign them. I have never said that OL's designs are bad, only that IF they are bad then they need to be corrected.

I really don't see what people are so up in arms about?

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3132975)
That statement just summed up this whole argument!:rolleyes:
Any credability just went out the window!:lolhit:

Really? You don't think that it takes more to roll a traditional V bottom than a stepped hull? If that's the case, then you haven't read the thread, because EVERYONE has admitted that it is in fact the case, the just argue about the results/responsibility issue.

If anything, your questioning that statement costs YOU credibility, sir.

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3132970)
Saying that Outerlimits intentionally markets to amateurs is a ridiculous statement.

Where do you get this crap from? Do you just feel the need to argue, so you put words in other people's mouths so you have something to refute?

I never said that they "intentionally" market their boats to amateurs (though they do), I just said that they DO market them to amateurs, and you admit that in your post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3132970)
Many of the people that buy these boats have not had a boat of this caliber before. Remember, everyone is an amateur once. Most guys that can afford a million plus dollar boat and want to impress their friends are not going to buy a 50 mph boat.

You bash me for saying that they "intentionally" market their boats to amateurs, which I never said prior to this post, then you admit that they do in fact market their boats to amateurs... I really don't understand you...

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 3132992)
well my baja has 380s k planes cause the bennets broke twice the 1st year I had my boat and I am sure the ol has 280s or 380s. my boat would be spunning out at 60 if I took a hard turn with the Kplane lowered it would push the nose down and high side the transom might even flip with some good chop. our 24s are forgiving in the 60s but 80 plus your driving the boat hard not sitting back relaxed like in a OL at 80. so with k planes in a straight bottom boat your still spinning or going over.

I don't disagree one bit!

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF (Post 3133092)
I would like to roll your 32 Baja over and watch all your Barry Manilow cassette tapes go flying you Jacka$$!!

BRILLIANT!!!

Big Time 06-11-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3133480)
You bash me for saying that they "intentionally" market their boats to amateurs, which I never said prior to this post, then you admit that they do in fact market their boats to amateurs... I really don't understand you...

I think you got his point mixed up. I read it as though Gino was pointing out that there are people with a lot of money that buy these boats that don’t necessarily have the skill/experience to drive them correctly. He was in no way implying that high performance builders market to those types of people, however there is no way to tell a prospective buy that he (or she) can’t buy a boat from them because they are an amateur.

Just because a guy with no experience buys a certain type of boat doesn't mean that Builder marketed it towards them.

wjb21ndtown 06-11-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Time (Post 3133489)
I think you got his point mixed up. I read it as though Gino was pointing out that there are people with a lot of money that buy these boats that don’t necessarily have the skill/experience to drive them correctly. He was in no way implying that high performance builders market to those types of people, however there is no way to tell a prospective buy that he (or she) can’t buy a boat from them because they are an amateur.

Just because a guy with no experience buys a certain type of boat doesn't mean that Builder marketed it towards them.

I think you're probably right about his point, and I think you make it in a more clear manner. I guess it boils down to their "intended market/customer," and I'm sure that they would prefer to sell their boats to current or ex offshore race boat drivers.

That said, they definitely look towards buyers with money, as Gino and you both point out, and the majority of those buyers seem to lack the insight and knowledge to properly drive these boats. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but there seems to be a lot of idiots out on the water, and the price of their boat seems to have little to do with their knowledge of how to properly run it.

I think the argument that OL doesn't market their boats to amateurs is a lot like saying that Joe Cool doesn't market cigs to kids... The result is different, as the kid can't buy cigs and its more of a long-term market strategy, but to stand there shocked and say "we didn't market the boat to him" but it just so happens to be their primary consumer, seems a little disingenuous to me.

Interceptor 06-11-2010 03:54 PM

Every now and then someone that isn't qualified buys a Porsche, a Ducati, a Outerlimits. It is not the manufacturers responsibility to weed these buyers out.

The same person probably would hurt themselves or someone else operating a dildo.

Interceptor 06-11-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF (Post 3133092)
I would like to roll your 32 Baja over and watch all your Barry Manilow cassette tapes go flying you Jacka$$!!

" In the Copa, the Copabanana............"