Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread >

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Notices

Driver 46..why Did You Delete Your Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All boats no matter who builds them have inherent handling characteristics. Not necessarily problems. I went from a 70 mph 32 Sunsation to an 85 mph 42 Fountain and felt that I need to know these. Completely different hulls and power. I took the Tres Martin HP class. I have been driving boats for years and didn't have a clue about really driving a boat and how much trouble you can get into and out of. Tres showed me this. Opened my eyes. Am I a professional, by no means, but what I got out of the class is the knowledge to feel what the boat is doing. He explains how a boat, hull, and drives work hydro dynamically. OL builds a beautiful, well engineered boat, but you need to learn its traits. This is where a professional like Tres comes in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 729 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Wait a minute... So now you're saying that OL doesn't market their boats to amateur boat drivers?

They market their boats to anyone that can afford them, and I would contend that MOST of their customers are amateur boat drivers.

I believe that they offered the course more on the advice from their legal department more so than they thought it would be a "good idea."

Under the implied warranty of merchantability that exists on EVERYTHING purchased new from a dealer that sells goods of the kind an item HAS to be fit for its particular use. A 42' OL, with a full dressed cabin, enclosed head, a/c, frige, shorepower, etc. at least pretends to be a pleasure boat and needs to fit that purpose.

This isn't some silly conspiracy theory that I drummed up because I was bored... It's law...

I imagine you could enter a left turn with the left tab down at appx. 60 mph in your Baja and experience the same end result.
ed
Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
They offer the course, thats all they can DO!
That's not entirely true... They can re-design their hulls too...

People are so up in arms about this, but all I stated was that IF there is a unique problem with OL THEN something should be done about it... This isn't brand bashing or anything like that. I have no contempt for OL or their beautiful boats, but the fact remains, if they have a problem it should be fixed.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

That's not entirely true... They can re-design their hulls too...
WTF are you smokin! There's nothing wrong with the bottoms but the simple fact that people dont know how to drive the boats properly. You can take a Baja and roll it too!! There is no unique or any problems with Outerlimits bottoms. End of story!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Time
So what do you have to operate before you are allowed to operate a 42 ft stepped bottom boat? At what point do you not become an amateur? I guess I am just confused as to what you constitute and amateur vs. someone who is above that status? How do you get above amateur status if you never take that next step?
IMO you have to be trained to operate a step-bottom boat, first and foremost, as they have unique problems that standard V bottoms do not have.

I consider someone above amateur status if they're professionally trained, or if they've learned on their own in a similar hull. A 35' Cigarette with a standard V bottom is not the same as a multiple step 42' OL, it's just not... You can't do the same things to the 42' OL that you can do with the Cig, and if you try to it can lead to disastrous consequences.

Do you drive a motor cycle? And if you do, when did you consider yourself an expert? I drove a bike for almost 10 years and still didn't think that I was anywhere near an expert on the thing. I think performance boating is much the same way. The only way you can learn the limits of the boat or a bike is to push them and wreck (or be LUCKILY enough to nearly wreck), or get training from a course.
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care if you've owned 10 boats before an OL, if you're stepping up to what is basically an offshore race boat with a toilet you're still an amateur. All I'm saying is that they're marketing these boats to non-expert boat drivers, and the boat has to have a degree of forgiveness.

It depends what they have experience driving... Even if its driving a 35' Cig w/o a stepped bottom I would still say that they're amateurs in a 42' boat that has a stepped bottom. By all accounts they're a completely different animal. In fact, it seems to me that someone with a ton of experience in a non-stepped boat may be worse off than someone without. The stepped boats are apparently a lot less forgiving than non-stepped hulls.

I just mean that these are more or less fully ready race boats with cabins.

I fully understand this, 100%. That said, OL's seem less forgiving than many other hull designs. If that's not the case, and all of these larger, high HP, stepped hull boats are rolling over at a high rate, than maybe courses should be offered with all of them. After all, they are $300k + each, it wouldn't kill them to offer their own training course or outsource a course to teach people how to drive their boats.
I do not know if OL does offer this driver course, but I am pretty shure that if you buy a Nor-Tech a driver course is included in the price. I n my opinion should every producer of
high performance boat, include this.

regards

Rune
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by animalhouse
We are moving forward with the 28, but have a substantial backlog of existing orders that we are building right now. As soon as we get some breathing room, we will dive into the 28.
I've been in a bunch of these boats at speed...pretty safe to drop the subject I think.... I always felt comfortable on the ones I was in.

Now, any chance of Billy making AC in two weeks?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
WTF are you smokin! There's nothing wrong with the bottoms but the simple fact that people dont know how to drive the boats properly. You can take a Baja and roll it too!! There is no unique or any problems with Outerlimits bottoms. End of story!
You say "WTF are you smokin'" to me simply bringing up that they CAN re-design their hulls. A little defensive are we?

I takes a HELLUVA lot more to roll my Baja (I really don't even know if you can unless MAYBE you turn the wheel all the way, full throttle, with the tabs in the wrong position. It is a very easy boat to drive, very user friendly, and very forgiving) than it does to roll ANY step bottom hull.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

You say "WTF are you smokin'" to me simply bringing up that they CAN re-design their hulls. A little defensive are we?

I takes a HELLUVA lot more to roll my Baja (I really don't even know if you can unless MAYBE you turn the wheel all the way, full throttle, with the tabs in the wrong position. It is a very easy boat to drive, very user friendly, and very forgiving) than it does to roll ANY step bottom hull.
If I had to guess you have never been in an Outerlimits so how can you comment about their boats??
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I imagine you could enter a left turn with the left tab down at appx. 60 mph in your Baja and experience the same end result.
ed
Ed, I say respectfully, that if you had the left tab down, doing 60 in my non-stepped bottom Baja, unless you turned the wheel WAY too much, I highly doubt that anything would happen.

Why? Because my tabs are dinky little whimpy tabs that don't do much (they're single piston, Bennet tabs that are approximately 9 X 12), the drives are TRS drives (which are deep drives), and the boat is super user friendly.

Which only adds to the argument that some boats are much more user friendly than others, and some boats are more prone to accidents than others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.