Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Hey jarheads - looking for exercises for 6-pack abs >

OT: Hey jarheads - looking for exercises for 6-pack abs

Notices

OT: Hey jarheads - looking for exercises for 6-pack abs

Old 04-28-2002, 03:14 PM
kook

Cool OT: Hey jarheads - looking for exercises for 6-pack abs

I've been working out for 20 years or so, but now I've finally dropped some body fat (10 lbs, 5 more to go). I never concentrated too much on abs because I was never chisled. I'm getting there now, and looking for advice for ab exercises. I work out in my basement (free weights), so the exercises need to be pretty simple/basic.

For the past few months I have been doing standard sit-ups, 5 sets of 40 reps, 3x/week. I DO see an improvment in mid-section tone, but want more. Love handles almost gone too, but anything to tone the lower sides I would be interested in too.

Advice appreciated.

-Mark

Old 04-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contrary to what we are all told the key to great abs is diet. The more your body fat drops the better your abs will look, also your genetics (unfortunately for most of us) do play a large part. Just keep doing what you are doing and see what happens with another 5# loss. Dwight
Old 04-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

kook -

I used to have 'em. They have been incognito underneath a healthy layer of protective insulation for a great many years now but back in the day I used the following routine:

Accessories required: mop or broom handle, closed-cell foam pad for your tailbone.

30 minutes before starting, eat a banana. I always seemed to get "less sore" when doing so (course it coulda been in my head).

1) put broom handle behind your neck and hold onto the ends (I actually would drape my wrists over the handle instead of holding it). While standing with my feet firmly planted slightly wider than normal, I would twist at my waist. Slowly at first but after the first ten or so, I would increase the effort and pace until a good 90 degree twist was occuring. A "right twist/left twist" made a "one" count. I would do 50 of these.

Then I would lean my body forward at the waist and put my back parallel to the ground. Another 50 count.

Then I would stand up and stop twisting. I would then lean sideways and touch the handle to my leg or foot on each side. Another 50 count.

Now ditch the handle.

Get on the floor and center your tailbone on the foam (I used a section cut from one of those $100 pool floats that had seen better days. It was about an inch thick and the foam was very dense. Made a great tailbone pad.

Start your situps. Do not stop between them. You will want to stop at first but just slow down and keep cranking them out.

Do 50 situps nonstop, arms out and touching your toes.
Do 50 more with one arm extended and reaching across to the opposite foot.
Do 50 more opposite arm across.
Do 50 more with arms crossed and hands on shoulders.

Get up and walk for 5 or 10 minutes.

** I had some killer abs. The above routine was always done while watching tv and it got automatic. Soreness was indeed an issue for the first week, but went away after that. If I were to attempt a revisit to those exercises these days, I would give myself a full month to get up to the 200 'ups. As it sits these days, the closest to situps I do is to prop my lame self up with pillows on the bed to read stuff in OSO!

M
Old 04-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Bo Knows

I don't think the sit ups help that much. Crunches are better, leg lifts work the lower abs good, but I think the best ab exercise is the ab roller. This is the one advertised on TV with the wheels underneath & 2 handles sticking out. It has resistance when pushing out but is spring loaded for help when pulling back up. After you have mastered this one go to Walmarts & buy the one that is a handle with a wheel in the middle for $8.99. It gives you no assistance. Make sure you stretch out all the way and when you come back up use your abs & don't rock back on your butt. This is the best ab exercise I have found, it really burns them up ! !

Old 04-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low fat/sugar diet, lots of crunches. Like catmando said, lay on back, knees bent, feet on or off the floor. Best way I can describe is to push chin up, push slightly forward and crunch towards the ceiling. Keep lower back flat on the floor, only raise shoulders off floor. Up and hold for 3 secs. and come down but do not rest head on floor. Continue until you can't stand the burn anymore.......then do 10 more!
Old 04-28-2002, 10:12 PM
GRH

Why would anybody want a six pack.... when they could have the whole Keg???????

Old 04-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kook, I'm in the same boat as you, been a gym rat forever, started when I was 16, and never looked back, I have been all over the body fat scale from big and very strong with high body fat, to ripped and lightheaded all the time from never eating fat or carbs. I never do ab's, and have good one's when I eat right. I get plenty of ab work from all freeweight lifting, such as squat's and bent over row's, deadlift's, ect... I should do them, not so they will grow, but to help strengthen everything against injury. Do all the ab's you want, they aren't a fiberous muscle that will grow, they are a stringy muscle group, and getting them to grow is near impossible, similar to calves, you were either born with them, or you weren't. Diet is everything in ab's, and god know's I haven't been doing that well on mine lately. MMMMM Pizza...DOH!! But just keep the menu low carb, low fat, high protien, and only drink water, and lot's of it. I started my getting ready for summer diet 3 weeks ago, and have sucked at sticking to it so far, but much improved in that time. It's a llifestyle, not a passing fad, stick to it and it will pay off. Those last 5 lbs are the hardest to get rid of, I'm having enough trouble shedding the first 10.