Who didn't see this coming........... >

Who didn't see this coming...........

Notices

Who didn't see this coming...........

Old 06-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Ok quick list I put together from some quick searching: I am sure some of these names will ring a bell? I think you will notice a trend of attending some high end schools and careers?

1) Eric Heiden
Olympic Moment: Dominating the headlines by winning all five speed skating gold medals at the 1980 Lake Placid Games.

Post-Games Career: After Heiden walked away from the ice, he became a professional cyclist and even raced in the 1986 Tour de France. He later attended medical school at Stanford and became a successful orthopedic surgeon. Fittingly, he’s been the team physician for the U.S. Olympic Speedskating Team at the last three Olympics

2) Brian Boitano

Olympic Moment: Taking gold in men’s figure skating at Calgary in 1988.

Post-Games Career: Currently hosting What Would Brian Boitano Make? on the Food Network. The show features Boitano cooking for his friends, and it’s set to open its second 10-episode season next month.

3) Sonja HenieOlympic Moment: Winning three straight ladies’ figure skating golds between 1928 and 1936.

Post-Games Career: The Norwegian ice princess parlayed her massive success on skates into a big-money silver screen contract with Twentieth Century Fox. Henie’s draw as an actress and ice skater was so great that during the 1940s she was raking in around $2 million a year, which made her one of the world’s highest earning women. She and her husband developed a collection of modern art that eventually became the Henie-Onstad Art Centre near Oslo.

4) Jean Vuarnet Olympic Moment: Winning gold for France in the men’s downhill at the 1960 Squaw Valley Games.

Post-Games Career: You might not recognize Vuarnet’s face, but you might have worn his shades. After his big win in the downhill, Vuarnet agreed to help market an upstart French eyewear company’s wares under his last name, which led to the big success of Vuarnet Sunglasses

5) Bjorn DaehlieOlympic Moment: Piling up 12 medals (eight of them gold) in cross-country skiing between 1992 and 1998.

Post-Games Career: The Norwegian skier is apparently nearly as good at investing as he was at flying across the snow. His real estate and fashion company investments have allegedly helped Daehlie amass a fortune in excess of $30 million since his retirement from skiing.

6)The 1980 US Hockey Team
Olympic Moment: Toppling the favored Soviet squad in the Miracle on Ice en route to a gold medal.

Post-Games Career: Twelve of the 20 members of the team eventually made it to the NHL, and some were pretty successful there. Neal Broten won a Stanley Cup, was the first American to score 100 points in a season, and made two All-Star teams. Ken Morrow racked up four Stanley Cup wins while playing for the New York Islanders.

7)Peggy Fleming
Olympic Moment: Grabbing figure skating gold at the 1968 Grenoble Games.

Post-Games Career: In addition to her work as a skating commentator, Fleming and her husband also own Fleming Jenkins Vineyards and Winery in California. The vineyard ships around 2000 cases of wine a year.

8) Shawn White

As has been mentioned international man of mystery and puzzy magnet.

Great list, never knew about Vuarnet! While you are on to it you should add Tonya Harding to the list, she finished 4th in the Olympics once.....

These athletes are obviously driven/motoivated individuals so if they set their mind to something they can usually pull it off. However this list is more the exception than the rule! My point in the first post was that it wasn't a guaranteed ticket to easy street if the girl finished the around the world thing.....yes it stands out on the resume but doesn't necessarily put you on the top of the list for canidates.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Great list, never knew about Vuarnet! While you are on to it you should add Tonya Harding to the list, she finished 4th in the Olympics once.....

These athletes are obviously driven/motoivated individuals so if they set their mind to something they can usually pull it off. However this list is more the exception than the rule! My point in the first post was that it wasn't a guaranteed ticket to easy street if the girl finished the around the world thing.....yes it stands out on the resume but doesn't necessarily put you on the top of the list for canidates.
Agreed BUT do you know many people that go to the Olympics that are not driven to succeed? I don't. It takes a lot of work and dedication to make it to be considered one of the elite people that get to even go never mind medal.

Again she could join the military in a few short months so what is more dangerous? Her mast broke. It happens all the time. I don't consider her lucky because she lived. I bet, just maybe, she was prepaired for that exact thing to happen and she acted accordingly.

So when is a good time to make this trip? When you are older? Your chances of death is the same, maybe even higher as you fatigue faster. When you die when you are older is it any less painfull for the people you leave behind? Your children? Maybe we are just better off not ever taking risks and stopping all progress....

This is my brothers boat three weeks ago. Brand new sails all junk halyards shreded, couple grand worth of damage. He made sure everyone was ok then laughed his azz off. Look at him on the back of the boat. Not so sure I would laugh it off if one of my motors blew.
Attached Thumbnails Who didn't see this coming...........-broken-mast.jpg  

Last edited by Audiofn; 06-11-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
This is "Little League Parent Syndrome" taken to the extreme.

Funny thing, my dad was never in a boat in his life until I got him into one...and I also taught him to fish when I was 10 or 11. In fact, no one in my family was a boater or fisherman. Not every kid is a co-dependent little reflection of mom and pop's unfulfilled dreams.....

Last edited by T2x; 06-11-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On the other hand.....

I still think that the self promoting (adult) tree hugger who burned his own body fat and ran over fishermen in that around the world bio-diesel fiasco with the plastic props a couple of years ago............... was a bone head.

and I, personally, wouldn't want him to try that again.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
On the other hand.....

I still think that the self promoting (adult) tree hugger who burned his own body fat and ran over fishermen in that around the world bio-diesel fiasco with the plastic props a couple of years ago............... was a bone head.

and I, personally, wouldn't want him to try that again.
The Japanese whaleing fleet made sure that you don't have to worry about him ever trying that again.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Funny thing, my dad was never in a boat in his life until I got him into one...and I also taught him to fish when I was 10 or 11. In fact, no one in my family was a boater or fisherman. Not every kid is a co-dependent little reflection of mom and pop's unfulfilled dreams.....
Not "every kid," true enough. I was Scuba diving at age 13. My parents could barely swim and diving ... no way.

But you know, Rich, a lot of parents do live out their failed dreams through their kids. A lot of them are "co-dependent reflections of mom and dad's unfulfilled dreams."
Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
Sorry, I don't agree with you. I'm not trying to legistlate life at all. Just trying to interject some common sense. The only ego here is the fathers ego to try and beat a record at the cost of his daughters safety.

Kids got more balls than most of us? Yea, no sh!t, kids are reckless and have no appreciation for life because they have a lack of life experience and a feeling of invincibility.

I guess to justify doing stupid things because you did it is reasonable in your mind...It's just not in mine.

And by the way, MADD is actually a non profit organization credited to reducing drunk drivers and raising DUI awareness. If some politician spun this into a money maker it wouldn't suprise me. But don't kick an organization for trying to reduce deaths and injuries.
Well said!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Children (that is what Abby is) are not autonomous until 18 and depend on good leadership from parents to steer them from danger until they can really discern true danger for themselves. When I was a child I thought I was immortal also but thank God my folks had the good sense to keep me from doing things that would have snuffed out my life prematurely. It wasn't stifling it was good parenting.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaton Photos
Contact has been made with Abby Sunderland. She is safe & well.

Story on nbcnews.com: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/376188...-other_sports/
Well, they got a nice little miracle there. I hope they are smart enough to know that. Very happy she is alive & well....
Old 06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I was chatting with my wife about this last night.... few points we discussed and agreed upon.
3. Since she is under age and as a parent I am responsible for the safety and well being of my children.
So in summary, my wife and I wouldn't stop her from doing something but what we would mandate, since we're still responsible for her, is that it done properly and as safely as possible with the proper support network.... If that support network cost $500K and I didn't have the cash to support it well, then she can't go.....
Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
Children (that is what Abby is) are not autonomous until 18 and depend on good leadership from parents to steer them from danger until they can really discern true danger for themselves.

Hey, well at least ONE person agrees with what I posted on page one! Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.