Who didn't see this coming...........

Notices

Who didn't see this coming...........

Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
AT 16 I was racing boats and going 30 miles offshore on shark hunts in a 15 foot Owens runabout.

Stop trying to legislate life.....that's what gave us today's politicians and Mothers against Drunk Drivers (which somehow managed to get involved with the trucking safety legislation that is going to cost all of you a fortune).

I am so sick of watching America become suckers for anything that mentions "The Children".

This kids got more b*lls than most of us and safety systems that apparently worked.

Deal with it.

We would be better served in developing ways to keep oversized (adult) egos alive in over powered Offshore boats IMHO.

T2x
Yeah ,, what he said !! after 68 fun filled years, I agree with dat, Just deal with it , live and let live , give me my freedom and leave me alone !

RHC
Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 2,950 Likes on 978 Posts

Jon, my statement was based on interviews I"ve seen with her father.

I had this conversation on another forum.

It all comes down to risks. Does the risk out weigh the reward?

My daughter rides dirt bikes and plays softball. She's been injured more playing softball than any other sport (a few broken bones). I don't agree with pushing your kids into any sport and I haven't done so. The things she does is on her own accord. The risks have been calculated. Broken bones? Acceptable. Lost life? Not acceptable.

Yes, you can make the argument that you can get killed dirtbike riding or any other sport but again...Calculated risk. The percentage of people that ride or play a sport compared to the percentage of people that get killed or injured in any given sport is minimal.

When sailing around the globe you're not only dealing with an unpredictable and unforgiving sea, you now have to deal with pirates. I personally do not believe the risk out weighs the reward.

Like I said, my daughter is a great driver. Doesn't mean I'm going to let her drive across country alone. She's a great traveler, but she wont be taking a trip alone to Mexico.

Why was it so important to have her solo at such a young age? Because she was chasing a record set by an australian girl.

Why wasn't there a chase boat? I don't know. But it seems negligent to me.

Living in a bubble is not acceptable and risks will be taken. But to deliberately put a child into a situation that is life threatening (not "may be" life threatening...IS life threatening) is just plain neglegent.

Last edited by thisistank; 06-11-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
AT 16 I was racing boats and going 30 miles offshore on shark hunts in a 15 foot Owens runabout.

Stop trying to legislate life.....that's what gave us today's politicians and Mothers against Drunk Drivers (which somehow managed to get involved with the trucking safety legislation that is going to cost all of you a fortune).

I am so sick of watching America become suckers for anything that mentions "The Children".

This kids got more b*lls than most of us and safety systems that apparently worked.

Deal with it.

We would be better served in developing ways to keep supersized (adult) egos alive in over powered Offshore boats IMHO.

T2x
Sorry, I don't agree with you. I'm not trying to legistlate life at all. Just trying to interject some common sense. The only ego here is the fathers ego to try and beat a record at the cost of his daughters safety.

Kids got more balls than most of us? Yea, no sh!t, kids are reckless and have no appreciation for life because they have a lack of life experience and a feeling of invincibility.

I guess to justify doing stupid things because you did it is reasonable in your mind...It's just not in mine.

And by the way, MADD is actually a non profit organization credited to reducing drunk drivers and raising DUI awareness. If some politician spun this into a money maker it wouldn't suprise me. But don't kick an organization for trying to reduce deaths and injuries.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tank I have seen most of the interviews as well. Remember a few things. Her parents did not want her to go. She went out and got the sponsorship and the backing to make it happen. That shows to me that she is not your average kid that is capable of more then maybe even you or I. I know I would have a damn hard time going out to get some one to help pay for my boating. I wish I could IMO she was not pushed into this it was something she loved (sailing) and then she thought of something that could change her life, a solo trip around the world.

As for risk and reward that is an arbatrary thing. What is the risk. She could in fact get hit by pirates. Well they very carefully planned this trip to avoid that. Pirates tend not to travel to far from shore and her trip was out there. Weather is a big factor but not the bigest. As we have seen the equipment failure is the bigest problem anyone can have. Looks like she did everything she was sapposed to do that shows that she WAS prepaired for this trip.

Reward, once she makes this trip she can punch her own ticket. She will be able to go to about any school, and any company would be foolish to not give her a good look. It takes a lot of drive to put together a trip like this and IMO she is wise far beyond her years.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Tank I have seen most of the interviews as well. Remember a few things. Her parents did not want her to go. She went out and got the sponsorship and the backing to make it happen. That shows to me that she is not your average kid that is capable of more then maybe even you or I. I know I would have a damn hard time going out to get some one to help pay for my boating. I wish I could IMO she was not pushed into this it was something she loved (sailing) and then she thought of something that could change her life, a solo trip around the world.

As for risk and reward that is an arbatrary thing. What is the risk. She could in fact get hit by pirates. Well they very carefully planned this trip to avoid that. Pirates tend not to travel to far from shore and her trip was out there. Weather is a big factor but not the bigest. As we have seen the equipment failure is the bigest problem anyone can have. Looks like she did everything she was sapposed to do that shows that she WAS prepaired for this trip.

Reward, once she makes this trip she can punch her own ticket. She will be able to go to about any school, and any company would be foolish to not give her a good look. It takes a lot of drive to put together a trip like this and IMO she is wise far beyond her years.
Parents didn't want her to go? First I heard of that. If they didn't want her to go, she wouldn't. She is a minor. I have heard them say, "oh, we didn't want her to follow in her brothers footsteps and didn't agree with this."....That's an easy fix...."You're not going, it's too dangerous".

Is the reward worth losing your life? Or even better, would the reward be worth losing your son or daughters life so they can look good on a college resume? I don't think so.

I do agree it's one hell of a thing to do. And I'm not arguing that she is most likely mature beyond her years and obviously an expert sailor. Still doesn't chane that in my opinion it is stupid, dangerous, unnecessary and neglegent.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn

I disagree. I suspect she is going to be like last year's Olympic winner in some oddball event. Makes headlines for a few days and is soon forgotten. I can't name a single Olympic athlete other than Michael Phelps (due to the 8 medals won and the pot smoking video). It may be a notch on the resume belt but I don't think it is a blank check to opportunity. She could be a hippie idiot that can't function in the everyday world but feels at home out in the middle of the ocean.

The risk wasn't worth the reward. The 2,000 mile distance for help to travel is like the length of the east coast of the US (from Key West to Maine). That is pretty far when you get into a jam.......
Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I agree if the parents had held their initial ground and said no then she would not be out there now. She and her father did do many solo trips together side by side and she faired well in all of them even in a few storms she showed that she had the drive to make the trip.

While I used the College resume as an example that is just a small part of it. Kids that are able to tackle things like this are setting themselves up for success through out their lives. Takes a lot of drive to put this together and that drive will continue throuh out her life and give her untold success unless it gets stiffled by people/parents.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I disagree. I suspect she is going to be like last year's Olympic winner in some oddball event. Makes headlines for a few days and is soon forgotten. I can't name a single Olympic athlete other than Michael Phelps (due to the 8 medals won and the pot smoking video). It may be a notch on the resume belt but I don't think it is a blank check to opportunity. She could be a hippie idiot that can't function in the everyday world but feels at home out in the middle of the ocean.

The risk wasn't worth the reward. The 2,000 mile distance for help to travel is like the length of the east coast of the US (from Key West to Maine). That is pretty far when you get into a jam.......
Phelps is a millionair and still swiming. Most olympians go on to very successful careers. Most military guys/gals go on to successful careers.

Let me just put this all into perspective for you guys that are doubting her. Less then 1 year from now she could join the military and fight for our country but I do not see any of you down at the local recruiting office telling those kids or their parents that they are stupid. Does a "kid" grow up that much in a few months?

Last edited by Audiofn; 06-11-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,317 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

Deal with it.

We would be better served in developing ways to keep supersized (adult) egos alive in over powered Offshore boats IMHO.

T2x
What trucking safety legislation?

Sorry for the high jack.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

Deal with it.

T2x
Thanks Rich,

This 16 year old can handle a boat better than many who are twice or three times her age. AND she does it while inspiring young women around the world to follow their dreams, where ever they may lead them.

From what I have read, this young woman could teach us all a thing or two about open ocean cruising. While dangerous, her spirit exemplifies the difference between quantitative and qualitative living...

When I was ten I read the book "The Boy Who Sailed Around the World Alone." It made a profound impact on my impression of my own abilities and the limitless possibilities that were in front of me if I only applied myself.

I know quit a few 15 year olds who can pilot a boat better than most adults. When I was 15 I was taking my Dad's 42' Post to Snake Creek for fuel.. By myself.. Age and judgement don't necessarily coincide. There are plenty of 30/40/50 year old idiots out there.

If my daughter wanted to attempt such a feat, I would support her all the way.

Abby's endeavor is for our daughters....

T.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.