Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury 700/NXT owners - be careful (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232475-mercury-700-nxt-owners-careful.html)

Mykalvballer 06-11-2010 11:52 AM

Mercury 700/NXT owners - be careful

First I wanna make sure this is not me bashing mercury but rather me looking out for fellow OSO members.

- Last weekend at the Jacksonville Poker Run when it was all said and done I pulled up to park the boat for the night and before I knew it I was fighting to control my boat. 10 Ft from docking and the port motor locks into forward and will not come out allow the shifter moved full forward and back. Somehow the wife stopped me from running into a pole and then into Hammertime which would have just made his day even better after talking with him.
- At the shop it was found that the shifter mount bolt inside the tranny just backed all the way out and was just lying there when they opened it up.
- Now the fun part - it backed out because no lock tight was used. Allthough its called for in the manual. Looked to Mecury for assistance and they said it had too many hours. (119) and was too far out of warranty
- 10 cents worth of lock tight caused me almost running into the dock and Hammertime and now hours in the shop and thousands in repairs.
- Thanks for the attention to detail Mercury:eek:

Uncle Dave 06-11-2010 12:08 PM

I take it you are using Mercury controls vs some other aftermarket controls?

UD

boating37 06-11-2010 12:11 PM

Sorry to here that, you think they would try and help you out.
And it wa nice meeting you and your wife in Jacksonville,
you should try and come do one of Westcoast powerboat club run here in Tampa this year.

Kurt Hamilton 06-11-2010 01:40 PM

In my opinion it could have 1000hrs on them, the fact is if they were supposed to put loktite on at assembly and didnt then its an issue which was present when the setup was in warranty and they should fix it now.
Put that to them in writing and if still no help threaten to send to whoever is the consumer affairs type mob in the states.
I like mercury and their products, i just hate it when they push you around cause they are a big company.

pm203 06-11-2010 02:01 PM

Its not the first time they failed to use Loctite and caused some damage. The instance I am talking about was with a friend of mine's outdrive.

wrinkleface 06-11-2010 02:08 PM

glad nothing bad happened!! yeah, I call BS on the no help thing!!! nobody wants 2 accept any responsibility anymore!!!:bsflag:

Chuck 06-11-2010 07:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mercury had a "bulletin" that as far as I know was never sent to customers but manufactuers and service departments. This bulletin was to let dealers know that they needed stop using the number six style prop shaft single nut immediately in favor of a double nut system. In some instances this nut has backed off and resulted in lost props or even worse. Well I got to experience "the worst" first hand. I lost a $5500.00 Herring prop and broke the prop shaft. I found out about the "bulletin" after the damage. I was six weeks getting parts last summer and never was offered any assistance from Mercury Racing. The most ironic part of the story is that the previous season after winning the Lake Cumberland Poker Run a Marketing representative from Mercury Racing came up and introduced himself to me. The conversation was that he knew that we do alot of poker runs and that he appreciates us promoting the Mercury Racing product. He told me that if I ever needed anything to please get a hold of him. Man,I sure wish I had kept that business card. That letter should have been sent to ALL Mercury 700/NXT customers!!!!!!

Jassman 06-12-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface (Post 3133428)
glad nothing bad happened!! yeah, I call BS on the no help thing!!! nobody wants 2 accept any responsibility anymore!!!:bsflag:

I do..why don't you move out of the cold, down to the beautiful MS south..endless bayou's, natural waterways with a pure and simple MayBerry atmosphere....Let Jassby Custom Homes, Inc. make your dreams come true...:drink:

C_Spray 06-12-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3133317)
I take it you are using Mercury controls vs some other aftermarket controls? UD

It sounds like the bolt that fell out was in the transmission, not the controls, so it's hard for Mercury to dodge that one...

After have some issues with a non-operational shift interrupt system a few years back, I am always prepared to dive for the keys (and the boat hook) around the docks.

Catmando 06-12-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 3133857)
I do..why don't you move out of the cold, down to the beautiful MS south..endless bayou's, natural waterways with a pure and simple MayBerry atmosphere....Let Jassby Custom Homes, Inc. make your dreams come true...:drink:

When are you getting another boat?