Notices

Family Cat

Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Family Cat

This is my first season with my 496 HO Rage and it's a very good, solid boat for our family of seven. I really can't get over how rough of a ride it can be when the wind kicks up though.

I've heard about Cats and the ride. I really didn't think they were for me with the kids but now I'm wondering? If you have an opinion about: 26'Daytona Mid-Cabin, Open bow or a Magic Sceptor Mid-Cabin Open bow or an Advantage Sports Cat I'd be interested in how they compare and you think they would suit our needs. We boat on lakes here in Texas, some bigger like LBJ & Travis. The kids range from 15 down to 7 and they enjoy skiing and tubing and once in a while I'll slalolm to relive the good ol' days.

Are there other boats besides these I should look at?

What will insurance run on a cat powered anywhere between 425 - 600 hp?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advantage has the 27 X-Flight. It's a bowrider that has sponsons like a cat but it's really a V bottom. Tons of room for families and handles great.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered

Default I saw that and the X-Flight 29

but I wonder about the ride? I'm quickly growing tired of the pounding on a rough day.

Can one reasonably tow skiier/tuber at 20 something behind a cat or an X?

Originally Posted by Catmando
Advantage has the 27 X-Flight. It's a bowrider that has sponsons like a cat but it's really a V bottom. Tons of room for families and handles great.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the X Flight's ride, never been on one, but the fact it's a V bottom means you can tow a skier and/or a tuber at almost any speed.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hammer down and let it air out they ride better on top of the waves rather than in and out
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts

Precisely why I bought a heavy deep v hull boat. Rides good at all speeds and at most any water......on my lake anyways.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I suggest taking a ride on a deeper V-bottom boat than your Nordic Rage. I think you will be surprised how well a V-bottom can ride.

If you are thinking of staying south of 30 feet in a single engine Cat, I don't think you will much if any noticeable rough water comfort than what you have now.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Registered

My cat rides great. I can drink hot coffee with 4 footers in my old cat at 70mph. Maybe newer lighter isn't better,,,,, If a vee is in your future I would go with as steep a hull as you can tolerate or just go with the cat you wont be dissapointed. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and I feel they are safer running 80 in my cat than other v hulls. The down side to a 30 footer is the minimum plane speed is a bit fast 30 or so but I could not be happier. stay away from a boat with surface drives if you plan on hanging a rope off the back!!

Last edited by kneeslider74; 06-21-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: addition