Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   525s vs 700 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232667-525s-vs-700-a.html)

Nukid 06-14-2010 03:41 PM

525s vs 700
 
I am in the market for a 42 lightning. But confused between the 525s and 700s. I am told go for 525s if you want reliability and 700s for speed. I would appreciate any feed back. I am new to power boats and need advice.

Uncle Dave 06-14-2010 03:53 PM


Originally Posted by Nukid (Post 3135604)
I am in the market for a 42 lightning. But confused between the 525s and 700s. I am told go for 525s if you want reliability and 700s for speed. I would appreciate any feed back. I am new to power boats and need advice.


The powerplants could not be more different.

525 are fuel injection and ship (usually) with B1 XR's

700 are blown and injected and (usually ship) with NXT drives (very stout)

Both are very reliable.
The 700 has a few niggling electronic issues but they are well known, and almost all warrantied.


Dave Sampson

gerritm 06-15-2010 09:43 AM

I have an '05-- 42 EX, basically the same hull different cabins. I would go for the 700's if I did it again. Love my boat, but if you are a hard driver go with the 700 and NXT's. they will take more abuse. The XR's are running at their limits and are the weak point. The 525's are good engines with a few issues with the CMI/Mercury headers. If you can afford them go with the bigger power, there is no substitute for power, length, and weight.

Wildman_grafix 06-15-2010 10:23 AM

I always thought the 525's would last longer before a rebuild.

Can you get 500 hours out of both? This assumes a top end at 200 to 250.

Just wondering.

monstaaa 06-15-2010 12:19 PM

525's are great power however in a 42 they may leave thirsting for more performance. 700's are great in that package. 100+ and you dont feel as if the boat is slugish. very dependable either way. i ahve a new leftover 700 42 in stock and a 42 525 used from the original owner in good shape. shoot me a p.m if intersted. if not good luck . i think you will like the 42 700

AIR TIME 06-15-2010 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by monstaaa (Post 3136504)
525's are great power however in a 42 they may leave thirsting for more performance. 700's are great in that package. 100+ and you dont feel as if the boat is slugish. very dependable either way. i ahve a new leftover 700 42 in stock and a 42 525 used from the original owner in good shape. shoot me a p.m if intersted. if not good luck . i think you will like the 42 700

go with the 700 package its a better drive, and after a season or two you will want more power then you will have to upgrade the 525s with blowers and replace the drives to a konrad ace package which is very nice I bought one for my new blower motor which I should have next week. if you keep your motors flushed oil changes you should get same hours out of both. CHECK WITH MONSTAAA he said he is willing to deal a left over 42 700 you will love it.

PhantomChaos 06-15-2010 01:34 PM

Aren't the 525's closed cooling and the 700's are not?

omerta one 06-15-2010 01:37 PM


Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3136575)
Aren't the 525's closed cooling and the 700's are not?

both are closed cooling

PhantomChaos 06-15-2010 01:41 PM


Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3136576)
both are closed cooling

Nice.....!

jersey 06-15-2010 01:49 PM

Am I missing something you are going from not owning any type of powerboat to a 42 lightning with possibly 700s in it and no one on here is going to mention that maybe you should start with something alittle smaller and slower for your first boat :confused:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.