Painting Bravo Lower unit ?? >

Painting Bravo Lower unit ??

Notices

Painting Bravo Lower unit ??

Old 04-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting Bravo Lower unit ??

I am looking to paint my lower on the Bravo....and maybe change the color. I figured i would take it down to bare metal, primer, then paint.

Is the best way to do this?? What primers/paints should i use, and where do i get them??
Old 04-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Registered

What color you want?
If you stick to the phantom black, they sell it at quite a few retailers.
If you change to silver like I did, then you should go to an epoxy urethane enamel or imron for durability, I tried the good ol rustoleum, some flaked off in 1 day doing 10-15 mph so it wont last worth a damn
If you have expendable cash, might try powdercoating it, heard good things about durability.

I plan on just polishing the lower half of my drives when I get her back, hell it is aluminum, it will polish up nicely with enough time spent sanding and buffing and using different sand paper grits and polishing compound on a buffer wheel.
THen im going to clear it with a urethane
Leaving the top black

Talk to you soon Bro
Jason
PS more prep work you do, the better the end result and more durability you will have
Old 04-29-2002, 02:55 PM
Registered

I really didn't want to dissasemble the drive in order to powdercoat it.....just sand, primer, and paint while i have it off to give it a lube job. I was also thinking of going with Silver (or Purple).

Just need to know:

1.) where to find the paint / primer

2.) how to apply it....(I don't have a booth set up for painting with a spray gun).
Old 04-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

Then your more or less stuck then
They sell the Phantom black (mercruiser and other companies with same color) in cans
Other than that, I never saw any Imron in a can to be honest with you. Plus cans dont spray worth a $hit

I guess I take it for granted I have a gun and a compressor at my house, if your interested, bring your boat up
can tape off transom and drive, sand it all down prep it up and prime it and shoot it
Jason
Old 04-29-2002, 04:42 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

After having drives stolen, I won't paint them anymore, just leave 'em looking like hell! Hell, even the thieves don't want 'em but they look God-awful sitting on the boat lift. Same strategy with the props, the water stain and occasional "schmearing" makes them an unappealing target. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 04-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Default Do a search...

Do a search on this topic. There was a lot written about it the last year or so. Personally, I repainted my entire drive last year. It was pearl orange when I bought it, wouldn't look too good on a blue and white boat. I had to pretty much strip the whole thing down to bare aluminum. I do NOT recommend glass beading or sandblasting when you do this - far too easy for grit to find its way inside the drive! I then primed it with Dupont DP90 epoxy primer, and then sprayed it with gloss black Imron. Result: a durable, deep gloss black finish. It even survived a high speed impact with a submerged log without a scratch!