Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Difference in Dead Rise (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/232790-difference-dead-rise.html)

bert4332 06-15-2010 10:43 PM

Difference in Dead Rise

How much difference will a 23 degree deadrise be vs. a 24 degree in the rough?

thanx

onesickpantera 06-15-2010 11:02 PM

1 degree. :D

Sorry I had to! I wouldn't think it would be a major difference. Other things also come into play. What boats are you comparing?

Mastercraft240 06-15-2010 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by bert4332 (Post 3137091)
How much difference will a 23 degree deadrise be vs. a 24 degree in the rough?

thanx

Hypothetically the 24 degree will be better in the rough. The 23 degree deadrise will bounce unlike the 24 while will "cut". It'd be more helpful if you listed the boats considering many boats have changing deadrise's throughout the bottom.

Too Stroked 06-16-2010 05:32 AM

All things being equal – which they rarely are – the 24 degree hull will cut through rough seas marginally better than a 23 degree hull. But, you need to look at other factors too such as degree of entry (some boats actually have more deadrise near the bow), whether or not it’s a variable deadrise (some boats have differing amounts of deadrise as you go from keel to outside chine) or if the boat has a pad keel. All of the above factors and more affect how a given hull rides in rough water.

So, from a theoretical standpoint, the difference is probably pretty small. From a realistic standpoint, the difference could be huge.

wannabe 06-16-2010 06:41 AM

Toostroked is correct. One degree of deadrise is marginal and other factors such as width of lifting strakes and chines and other design factors will have more of an effct on rough water handling. They are both Deep V's. The Bertram 38 Comps have a 20 degree deadrise and they could run side by side with the Cigarettes in open class racing back in the day.

Wannabe

MidOcean 06-16-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 3137111)
1 degree. :D

Sorry I had to! I wouldn't think it would be a major difference. Other things also come into play. What boats are you comparing?

There is actually a lot of truth in this. What matters more is the entry deadrise which can be as much as 40 to 50 degrees. ALSO... if that deadrise is straight (Sonic, coyote, scorpion) or Convex (Cigarette, Apache, Nortech). Straight entry boats tend to stuff more than the Convex entry models.

Hope this helps.

T.

bert4332 06-16-2010 08:46 AM

I was looking at Advantage 32 Victory boats, all have 23 degrees and Shockwave Magnatude boats, all have 24 degrees. I heard that both are decent in the rough.

Too Stroked 06-16-2010 10:27 AM

Noticing your location, I'm assuming that you'll be running the boat primarily on inland waterways. That makes a big difference. If you were running on the great lakes (like me) or more importantly on ocean or gulf waters, deadrise and all of the other factors that have been mentioned here become much more important. On inland waterways, 1 degree of deadrise isn't going to make that much difference.

bert4332 06-16-2010 04:55 PM

There is always a threat of me moving to VA area, so I might just be in the ocean, that's why I'm asking.

onesickpantera 06-16-2010 10:30 PM

Remember one of the best rough water Factory One boats has a 22 degree deadrise.