Technical Questions For Steve 1

Notices

Technical Questions For Steve 1

Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Technical Questions For Steve 1

Steve

Have been following your thread on here and wanted to ask you for your insight about something specific.

We constantly hear about the wavecrusher APACHE and its rep as the king of rough water.
Would like to hear your thoughts on why that is, why other than bulk weight and length made the Apache so famous on a technical basis.
Was its basic construction so much different than any other boat??
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM
GB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RUTRO, you said APACHE
Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I suspect the way they were built, similar to a Powerplay is the reason the boat performed so well. You can do some searching on the Powerplay 38 when OSO Steve bought the black 38 and took it out in 6 ftr's+ trying to break the flat screen TV off the wall......it didn't break no matter how hard they beat the boat! Keep in mind this was a 4 year old boat with 400+ hours on it and 10,000 miles logged on the GPS!

I believe Cashbar and Dollabill were on that ride.....
Old 06-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Steve

Have been following your thread on here and wanted to ask you for your insight about something specific.

We constantly hear about the wavecrusher APACHE and its rep as the king of rough water.
Would like to hear your thoughts on why that is, why other than bulk weight and length made the Apache so famous on a technical basis.
Was its basic construction so much different than any other boat??
The Hull !! a little about that first,with it's bow flair and the "rate" of convergence to 24 degrees at the transom (Cigarette genes from the old 35) , It changed like a degree a foot on the first 8 feet of entry along the stem knee which is fairly abrupt , Now with that said it needs a little forward mass for running in the rough because wherever that goes the boat follows.

In the late 70's we did a boat for Billy (Longshot) a Light Kevlar 39 Cigarette and testing in 6 footers and better we needed a lot of tab and eventually broke up the boat a little but that was the way the Boss wanted to run it that day(Knocked the bulkheads loose)

Ok what happened ? when Billy gave the boat a lot of plate the Huge Tabs and the staggered motors were saying we go straight but the bow said we are going up over this mess (This was a light Boat built for Mr "K" ,,,Food Time to be continued.

Last edited by Steve 1; 06-18-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To Continue: Like I was saying about the bow convergence and flair ,to make a long story short both the Bow and Stern won the Bulkheads said we are out of here and when I saw the kink in the rub rail that was a sign to take it home.

The Apaches (big Cigarette) had the right balance of forward Mass (you can't change the shape) and a well done internal structure to keep the boat in one piece (Stinson has a ton of pictures) and built with a resin that does not exist today in it's original form Atlac 580 05A a Urethane Acrylic Vinyl ester, real tough stuff and a lot of Kevlar, Pedro and His Dad worked for Ben Kramer in Lamination before coming to work for Danny at Powerplay. Nowadays of course we have programs that go 6+ places past the decimal point but the old guys knew what was needed.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see you are going to continue, great.

Let me ask another question in the meantime.

What V bottom, built as a production boat in 2010, most closely resembles that quality of wavecrushing as did the Apache?

If there isnt one, why not?

Would todays customer even want a boat with all that power thrown at it to go the speeds that resulted ?

Thanx pal
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

so basically it was the right balance of materials/design/CG/talent/all that stuff. I am guessing that was all done from experience rather then on a computer to, no CnC plug either

To tell the truth i had no idea how well they ran and rode till i copped a ride on one last year at the Cambridge poker run/race. Amazing . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-18-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I see you are going to continue, great.

Let me ask another question in the meantime.

What V bottom, built as a production boat in 2010, most closely resembles that quality of wavecrushing as did the Apache?

If there isnt one, why not?

Would todays customer even want a boat with all that power thrown at it to go the speeds that resulted ?

Thanx pal
Sir that would be the New Pantera 41 for one which has the old school Apache with modern computer corrected lines.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Alec i think most buyers these days are brainwashed into thinking some ultimate speed number in flat water is the most important thing, then again in defense of that most dont venture into the ruff stuff anyway. Any comparable boats these days are built in small numbers by companies like Saber generally dont get a lot of press (or as much). Personally I'll take a heavy slower boat any day over some potato chip.

oooo yea . . . good one Steve forgot about that bad boy from Pantera
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 06-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.