Technical Questions For Steve 1

Notices

Technical Questions For Steve 1

Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Dave here is the Pad on a old Cheetahcat 40.

That is one wild look'in bottom. Do you have any other pics of it? How'd it work?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
That is one wild look'in bottom. Do you have any other pics of it? How'd it work?
It ran good and tracked straight I saw one last in Abu Dhaibi in 95,I was working the pad to pickup some lift from the rebound, only used that on 3 of the 12 Meter cats. and the reverse plug for the Diesel project.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave here was the 36 "B" Model leaving for Kuwait

Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, GREAT thread!!
Maybe you can answer this question for me in the simplest of terms in regards to strakes.

How are the angle and placement of the strakes determined? I know strakes create lift but what effects do outter strakes and inner strakes have on lift? Also, how do you decide on what kind of chine you're going to use such(reserse, angled etc)??
Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
Steve, GREAT thread!!
Maybe you can answer this question for me in the simplest of terms in regards to strakes.

How are the angle and placement of the strakes determined? I know strakes create lift but what effects do outter strakes and inner strakes have on lift? Also, how do you decide on what kind of chine you're going to use such(reserse, angled etc)??

Sure we used to divide the bottom into three panels or thirds then place a strake on the edge of those panels (In the back lift strip would be a better term in the forward area spray rail was the term)

the idea is as the boat was pushed down the strakes horizontal surface would provide lift and resistance to that event,at that point in the hull bottom, the 4” wide horizontal strake would provide the lift like 12” of 24 degree dead rise and the outboard strake providing lift when submerged ,The inboard strakes were short in a effort to make the boat squat in the old days and another thing was air running down the bottom of the strake and into the prop Mercury had an old video of it, but I always run them full length get a better prop!
The Europeans also run them full length sometimes and instead of two large Lift strips chose to use three or more smaller ones the effect is the same just not as harsh. I am talking Per Side here.

The reverse Chine people claim better handling (Turning) and the effect is like having a larger chine ,I use that trick in my pads on some of the Cats.

Now back to the bottoms a friend of mine ran a CUV with no strakes (Shead design) and said it ran ok But they welded strakes on it in the end.

Placemant ? Nowadays maybe closer to the keel for a pair. Strakes??? Water skis on your boat now a Pad?? Pad a great Ski down the Keel also a point of the greatest water pressure. Thank you for the nice Complement.

Last edited by Steve 1; 06-22-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave the 5 foot section I cut out of the now 35 went into this soon to be 50 it needed some added beam and the steps have to be radically reworked to get it back in balance.Too make a long story short someone sold them this thing before I got there but we got it working

Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Apache video.......running in it's element.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLoY4_U1YI
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Nice Apache video.......running in it's element.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXLoY4_U1YI
Thanks for the video!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave this was another Cougar Built by Asia Craft in the Philippines it was the 2nd 38 As I understand it , the first was built in England By Cougar and went to Favya. Dannys "S" Cougar Cat was done by Asia Craft as well. This one started life as the Arneson #6 Cat.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Dave the 5 foot section I cut out of the now 35 went into this soon to be 50 it needed some added beam and the steps have to be radically reworked to get it back in balance.Too make a long story short someone sold them this thing before I got there but we got it working

Hey atleast your splashing your own stuff

Steve i notice your cats have a sharper pointier nose on the sponsons. My understanding was that this type of profile was steered away from in more recent years for a steeper/blunter nose to help give the boats more rebound (for lack of a better word) to help prevent deep stuffing. What are your thoughts on this?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.