Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233082-oil-spill-gulf-mexico.html)

schnydo 05-03-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 3101045)
huh?

10 BILLION A YEAR EPA NO ACTION FOR A WEEK,BILLION
QUICK ACTION FUND UN USED

racer-x6 05-03-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 3101041)
Atleast my engines water passages want rust:eek:

What about the Smoking the Sound race?

NEW: LATEST WORD 5/3/2010 from Biloxi race producers and Coast Guard, the Biloxi Race is still a go! Keep posted on the latest here at www.offshoresuperseries.com

Austin 05-03-2010 05:26 PM

Just a quick jump over here to the Bahamas for your summer vacations! www.sealevelcottages.com / www.lubberslanding.com

Mention OSO for a discount!

Catmando 05-03-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shorgasm (Post 3101056)
I love the gulf stream talk now.....OH NOES its gonna go up the east coast of the US if this goes on for another 3 months or some ****.

Just stop it.

Well you better hope that dome works, but even if it does, there will be millions of gallons of oil pumped into the Gulf Stream before the well can be capped. Think what all that will do to the Keys, much less the Atlantic Seaboard.

chuckbeecher 05-03-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_H (Post 3101011)
I'd like to know why the Obama administration let this happen and THEN do absolutely nothing to help stop it. Heads should roll over this royal Obama screw up.

How did they "LET" this happen?
and
what were they to do/ You must gather the info first since this has NEVER happened just like this before.
as long as you depend on this stuff as a fuel source then there will be risks.
we can power vehicles on the surface of other planets with other fuels but you can't do it here.
GO figure

handfulz28 05-03-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3101181)
millions of gallons of oil pumped into the Gulf Stream

And how much bilge gunk do you think gets pumped out of ships each year? We've been stepping in heavy oil gunk on the beach here for at least the 30+ years that I can remember.

Lefty enviro wackos are making a much bigger deal of this than it should be. It's not the end of the freaking world. It will suck for a while, it will get cleaned up, and it will pass. BP is ready to start injecting dispersant directly at the leak to help.

It's not like this area is a stranger to natural disaster or anything...

jayboat 05-03-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 3101184)
And how much bilge gunk do you think gets pumped out of ships each year? We've been stepping in heavy oil gunk on the beach here for at least the 30+ years that I can remember.

Lefty enviro wackos are making a much bigger deal of this than it should be. It's not the end of the freaking world. It will suck for a while, it will get cleaned up, and it will pass. BP is ready to start injecting dispersant directly at the leak to help.

THAT is about as misinformed a post as I've ever seen.

Greasy bilgewater isn't a good thing, but comparing it to millions of gallons of crude oil is beyond moronic.

As far as 'sucking for a while' - why don't you run over to south Louisiana and say that around some fishing docks? Prince William Sound is still feeling the environmental impact of the Valdez spill twenty+ years after the fact, and that was refined oil, not crude. To this day, it hasn't been cleaned up. Yay for the oil companies!

And a little FYI for ya... the dispersant is MORE TOXIC than the freakin oil. How much of that do you think they will need to use on the estimated 200,000 gallons of oil estimated to be spewing daily?

They're now saying the oil will hit the loop current tomorrow. Then, it's on the Keys and beyond.

good grief.

Catmando 05-03-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 3101184)

I don't know but I bet it's nowhere near the amount that has already leaked.

I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and I never stepped in any oil gunk.

Yeah well what if the containment measures fail? There has never been a well blowout this deep. Don't count your chickens just yet bud.

Steve 1 05-03-2010 06:06 PM

There are systems for dealing with this since 1994, One is a fire boom where the oil is burned off on the surface in a large containment ring ,why this is not in place and working is the Question?

schnydo 05-03-2010 06:13 PM

Millions Of Gallons Of Crude Seep Thru Gulf Floor
Every Year. They Ok Drilling In 5000' Of Water But Not
On Land In Alaska