Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf
Whoa there big fella. Nowhere did I defend anyone. And if you read my post, I said "no bash". I agree with you regarding this whole debacle. It is a travesty that it has continued this long. The difficulty capping this thing is that it is such new territory no one has an answer. The oil companies retain engineers when these scenarios play out. I would assume BP has retained some of the best in the business at this point to cap this blow out. That is where I was curious as to where one would look for closure to such an event. My bad if it was not communicated clearly.

The bottom line, things happened that should not have. At this point all attention needs to be on a solution, not on what should have and what could have. Let that be another day. Yes, there needs to be compensation for the actions of BP, and they need to be held accountable. But now, focus on the problem at hand.

Sam
Sorry...I guess I took it the wrong way.

I spent years as a subcontractor at one of our countries premier aerospace corporations and have seen first hand how diligent they are to prevent these type of communications and business disasters. I can say that it is the foremost directive in this company to the point of annoyance at times that things like this don't happen. It's engineering applied to management and it's effective and it is drilled every day from the chariman down the the lowest level employees. I got a real appreciation and understanding how some companies that have tremendous responsibilities engineer their processes to eliminate errors or turnbacks to incredibly low levels. These processes are out there, there's no excuse when a company foregoes these initiatives. It's clear that BP's business motives are not in line with the level of impact their business can have. I don't think any of the other oil companies are any different either.

Last edited by Indy; 06-16-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Wonder what the total estimated volume of this reserve is and how much of it is estimated to have to bleed off before the pressure of the oil/gas and the sea water equalize? Scary to think that the final solution is for nature to run its course. I'm just sick for everything and everyone affected by the spill. I've vacationed in the panhandle region many times since '78.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In some industries, execs listen, others, not so much. There was fairly widespread support in the Gulf states every time Bush 41's offshore drilling ban came up for renewal. Yes, #41 signed the ban for 3-100 miles out for new exploration and drilling. Limited gains for higher risks. Jeb, for obvious reasons, supported it. Magically, in 2008, they started to think about lifting the ban. Political pressure due to high oil prices. More than one Gulf State Governor knew full well what would happen should a major spill occur.

As it turns out, the industry isn't equipped to handle much of anything beyond a simple little spill. The contracts they entered into were supported by nonsense about safety and environmental concerns, and filled with a pack of lies. It's taken this long and longer, because they haven't a clue as to what to do. I think they always realized this was going to hurt more than their financial positions, once the records were visible, and events leading up to the negligence.

I suppose this time it will be far easier to not only reorganize the MMS, but come out with verifiable and enforceable rules and restrictions to ensure that what is needed is actually done and implemented. I agree that currently producing wells should remain producing, no sense adding to the despair. But the first rig I would check out thoroughly is Atlantis. Probably anything else run by BP as well.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Wonder what the total estimated volume of this reserve is and how much of it is estimated to have to bleed off before the pressure of the oil/gas and the sea water equalize? Scary to think that the final solution is for nature to run its course. I'm just sick for everything and everyone affected by the spill. I've vacationed in the panhandle region many times since '78.
I am sure someone, somewhere has that calculated. Very good question, for sure. I would think a subsurface casing breech would be of the utmost concern. I Pray that does not manifest it self in reality.

Sam
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Enough BS, how are we gong to stop the leak. Why cant they cut the pipe off not shear it and deform the pipe. Cut it like you would cut any tubing and press fit a tapered cylinder in the pipe and cork it. I know it sound simple but why not. This blunder is an example of exactly the problem we have allowed our elected officials to create. We are literaly handicapped in making any quality decisions and implimenting them because of the mass of governmental agencies afraid to make a decision and over step their bounds, sickening. The states are also handcuffed by the Feds because of these redundant agencies. If I was in charge from day one every slinger and oil boom would have been on its way to the site period and BP would pick up the tab. Nobody is going to protect you like you.
The well casing below the sea floor has been broken. BP is drilling a relief well 10,000ft below where they estimate the break is. This may be the last hope they have to seal the well.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if even if they were to find a way to "plug" the visible pipe you're saying the oil would gush from someplace else??
Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
So if even if they were to find a way to "plug" the visible pipe you're saying the oil would gush from someplace else??
Possibly. The subsurface casing may be compromised. They do not know for sure though. If it is, as Cat says, a relief well is the only solution for closure.

Sam
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Well said.

The scary thing, for me, was something I heard on AM radio news st yesterday, in which another oil industry executive was quoted as saying his company's plans for managing a disaster like this were—get ready for this—the same as BP's. He even admitted they'd be about as effective.

In other words ... there was no real plan. There is no real plan. Smart engineers are coming up mostly blank, and it's hard to blame them. They're being asked to come up with a plan—right now—to fix a disaster no one planned for.

So why wasn't there a plan? I'm guessing these guys are just arrogant or greedy (take your pick) enough to believe it would never happen.
Last night on CNN they discussed the disaster plan of four other oil companies that drill in the Gulf. quoting CNN " they all must have Xeroxed the same document." They were almost identical which implied they may have had the same outside firm contracted to write the document.
To show how wrong the documents are they had procedures for saving walruses. Yes, walruses in the Gulf.
ed
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To show how wrong the documents are they had procedures for saving walruses. Yes, walruses in the Gulf.

Almost like the Jamaican bobsled team.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I've picked up a couple walruses near the gulf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.