Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Time
Because that's what people want to hear....it is what got him elected. I'm pretty sure I even heard him say that the Gulf would be cleaner then before this event. You would think that people would start to catch onto his BS, but they don't.
Speaking of BS, two words: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

It was a bit of a stretch- I don't see how we will ever get the Gulf 'cleaner than before'... I think he's just trying to reassure the people in that region that he means business when it comes to the cleanup. The $20 billion escrow fund is an amazing accomplishment- but, I wonder if it will be enough.

What got him elected was a total rejection of the party and president that have become a symbol of incompetence and cronyism. This catastrophe is but one more result of the cozy arrangements bush and cheney fostered with big oil.

drill, baby, drill.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
This catastrophe is but one more result of the cozy arrangements bush and cheney fostered with big oil.

drill, baby, drill.
There is plenty of blame to go around but no one has more of it than the liberals who shut off easy to access oil fields on land and forced companies like BP to drill in 5000ft of water where there is little room for error and it's about impossible to stop a leak once it has started.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Marginmn
There is plenty of blame to go around but no one has more of it than the liberals who shut off easy to access oil fields on land and forced companies like BP to drill in 5000ft of water where there is little room for error and it's about impossible to stop a leak once it has started.
Do you mean like, our National Parks? That 'easy to access' land?

Those areas need to be shut off from drilling, as does deep water stuff like this mess in the gulf.

Just because there is oil under a place does not mean we should drill for it.

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Registered

Do you mean like, our National Parks? That 'easy to access' land?

Those areas need to be shut off from drilling, as does deep water stuff like this mess in the gulf.

Just because there is oil under a place does not mean we should drill for it.
I'm not saying all areas should be drilled but for instance the remote tundra in Alaska that only a handful of people ever visit might be a better option than drilling a mile down in the Gulf where an accident can have horiffic environmental and economic damages for both the wildlife and for millions of Americans.

Until we come up with a better solution to fossel fuels we will continue to drill for oil. It would be far better to do it in areas where the accidents aren't biblical in proportion because it's near impossible to stop them once they start.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recived these in a email today,.Say Gulfshores
Attached Thumbnails Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico-dscn0280.jpg   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico-dscn0278.jpg   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico-dscn0276.jpg  

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico-dscn0277.jpg   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico-dscn0279.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'm not saying all areas should be drilled but for instance the remote tundra in Alaska that only a handful of people ever visit might be a better option than drilling a mile down in the Gulf where an accident can have horiffic environmental and economic damages for both the wildlife and for millions of Americans.

Until we come up with a better solution to fossel fuels we will continue to drill for oil. It would be far better to do it in areas where the accidents aren't biblical in proportion because it's near impossible to stop them once they start.
It doesn't make any sense to wreak havoc in those pristine areas, regardless of how many people visit them, to drill for oil reserves that will supply such a small percentage of our needs.

call me a treehugger, but think about what if the developers had won the war to develop Yellowstone. same thing. buy the friggin oil from the arabs.

Rob, those pix are sickening. And it's only the beginning. Damn.

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of BS, two words: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Come on Jay, mission accomplished? Really? The newest estimated from the US Gov't is that there could be anywhere from 35k to 65k barrels of oil per DAY still spewing into the Gulf and you want to raise a victory flag. I would say the most important mission at this time is to stop the flow of oil into the Gulf, and that mission is far from being accomplished. If you ask me, that is the only mission that should count right now and that is where all of the efforts should be concentrated.

The $20B set aside will not be enough in the end...did you notice BP's stock went up when they essentially announced they were going to take a $20B hit? I wonder why....? I see this as the Administration negotiating a # that in the end will most likely fall far short from the real cost of this disaster (which you also alluded to). I would not call that mission accomplished. In the end I hope BP will (and has the resources to) step up and do the right thing and cover ALL of the costs associated with this disaster.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, the ban on additional drilling was put into place years ago by Bush 41, and had been supported every year continuously through 2008 by every Governor and Legislator in the Gulf States. 2008 was a particularly bad year for politicians due to the high cost of oil and gas, so they told people what they wanted to hear then. Generally speaking, before 2008, most Republicans (and Dems too) in the Gulf States, said the risks to their economies and livelihoods were far greater than the minimal benefits.

Obviously, this was music to the environmentalist's ears. Some of the smart ones actually had reasons for supporting the ban.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I think he was talking about when Bush said that about Iraq.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

It doesn't make any sense to wreak havoc in those pristine areas, regardless of how many people visit them, to drill for oil reserves that will supply such a small percentage of our needs.

call me a treehugger, but think about what if the developers had won the war to develop Yellowstone. same thing. buy the friggin oil from the arabs.

Rob, those pix are sickening. And it's only the beginning. Damn.
50 years ago they had to wreak havoc into order to get the oil out on land. That is no longer the case. I'd take te risk of drilling a 1000 ANWR's rather than what has happened in the Gulf. It seems like you would rather not a single well be drilled in the US. It sounds nice for the environment but that industry supplies a lot of jobs to Americans who need work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.