Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/233082-oil-spill-gulf-mexico.html)

handfulz28 06-23-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3142848)
Some of the contractors have hired "unsavory characters".

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/20...ntractor-army/

Can you please show everyone where the article specifically uses the words "unsavory characters" as you quoted?

Bringing in some folks from Cali and not sharing every last subcontractor doesn't make a scandal...

klaw 06-23-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by racer-x6 (Post 3141241)
uhhhhhhhhhhhh........ How did my thread's title get changed from Oil spill in the gulf to relief well?????????????????

I was the one who started the releif well post. I did that because it was explaing how relief wells worked

These are related topics but vastly different.

I was also confused when they were merged Not sure why you merged them Jon.

Audiofn 06-23-2010 02:19 PM

I was just thinking they were talking about the same topic. People that are interested seem to be reading this one. Hope you don't mind.

Catmando 06-23-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3142915)
Catman that artical is awful! If BP had not hired those people then who? Do you need a degree to clean that stuff up? It actually sounds like a great idea to hire people like that. Get them cheap and they can stay on the job longer. Not like there is a huge pool to select from when it comes to these clean ups.

I don't mind cheap but BP and its contractors have not been doing background checks on the people they hire. Just run their ID through computer, how hard can that be?? There have been reports of criminal activity from the workers. Not only that, BP has been preventing people from working if they show up with hazmat clothes and respirators. So now people are getting sick from the fumes. :mad:

Not a huge pool?? Millions are unemployed. Hell if I was younger I'd go down there and help out.

Neverfastenuf 06-23-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3143280)
Not only that, BP has been preventing people from working if they show up with hazmat clothes and respirators. So now people are getting sick from the fumes. :mad:

Not a huge pool?? Millions are unemployed. Hell if I was younger I'd go down there and help out.

Sad fact is many that are unemployed, not all, but still many, will not lower themselves to do menial labor. The ones that show up with hazmat suits probably have an alternative agenda also. Everett, I am sure you would go and work. Unfortunately the there is NOT a huge pool of people willing to do honest, hard manual labor.

Sam

racer-x6 06-23-2010 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clean-up is going well on the Gulf Coast. Got this picture the other day.:party-smiley-004:

Catmando 06-23-2010 05:09 PM

^^Looks like Nigerian guys in their Delta oil fields. :eek:

birdog 06-24-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3143280)
I don't mind cheap but BP and its contractors have not been doing background checks on the people they hire. Just run their ID through computer, how hard can that be?? There have been reports of criminal activity from the workers. Not only that, BP has been preventing people from working if they show up with hazmat clothes and respirators. So now people are getting sick from the fumes. :mad:

Nobody can work on those ships/rigs without a federal issue "TWIC" card that involves a background check
If they dont have one...The contractor is violating Federal Law.

BP will not allow you to show up with your own Protective eguip. {PPE}...They issue it to you. They dont want to be responsible if your equip. sucks and you get hurt

JLAY 06-24-2010 08:52 AM

They don't have to have TWIC cards, they're not working at docks or on platforms. They're on beaches and in the marsh.

Catmando 06-24-2010 11:36 AM

BP will not allow you to show up with your own Protective eguip. {PPE}...They issue it to you. They dont want to be responsible if your equip. sucks and you get hurt

They're not allowing respirators to be worn period.