Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by klaw
would like to see if it was actually lifted all searches come up with nothing

This is huge internet fodder so I would have thought if it has been lifted there would have been word from thh white house on it.
Yea I can't find anything on the net, it was on the news (TV). Shame on me believing the news.

Seems anymore that there are few trust worthy sources for REAL information, it's pretty sad really. Do you believe a web site that is hard to check or the programs that want ratings.

I don't trust anything anymore. Pulled the post, F*** it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Lets asume they lifted or lift the Jones Act today. It still takes weeks to get the skimmer ships here, plus the crew to man them.

Had the Jones Act been lifted days after the explosion the proper ships could have focused around the spill. Now its so bad they have to clean the whole Gulf.

Rather it be 5k gallons a day or 500K gallons a day the goverment sat on their hands instead of making a decison on a timley manner. That is the difference between a businessman and a politian.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I think that's ehy it's important to go back to April 20th, and work forward. BP did their best to convince the government, and NOAA, that the spill was minor. The 5,000 bbl figure was in place for some time, until many questioned it repeatedly. NOAA had access to sat photos of the surface. BP was diligent in using massive amounts of dispersants to keep the oil under the surface.

In these very threads, some were chastised for repeatedly saying the amounts of oil were dramatically understated, as was heard by political bashers. "Let BP clean it up then worry", they supportably stated

Had anyone known in April/May that the amounts were so much higher, I think better and more planning would have been done. Without knowing much about the business, I gather that the small amounts being stated would not be enough to stomp on BP and demand skimmers from around the world. My GUESS, is that BP deliberately understated the amounts, and did so to avoid heavier fines, increased scrutiny, and a total lack of control over what they were doing. Perhaps they will fond correspondence in their investigations regarding this.

If the original figure was 25,000 barrels per day or higher, I think everyone would have been better prepared much earlier. So I think the current level of outrage should be more directed towards BP, is all I'm saying.

Remember these?

The media is blowing this all out of proportion
Oil seepage occurs naturally everyday, and does no harm
Natural little creatures will eat up the oil in short term
Keep the government out of this and let the pros do their jobs
This is a small spill compared to ...............

We had a similar problem here in Vermont with underground leaking at a nuclear plant. The leaks were coming from pipes that the state was told do not exist. Of course this is the same company that wanted to spinoff the plant for cleanup to a new entity, one that would quickly go bankrupt, leaving the states with a huge decommissioning bill. Trust comes hard lately.
True,

But the president of the United States has the means and the authority and IMO the responsibility to find out exactly how many barrels of oil were leaking into the Gulf - and then make plans accordingly. The fact that this president choose to not even meet or speak with BP until two months into this explains how he and the American people were kept in the dark by BP for so long, and IMO is inexcusable. The guy has sucked balls IMO in responding to this disaster because he didn't even know there was a disaster.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The new Jones Act thing was a co-ordinated message three days ago. Some muttered about it awhile back. But the real drive was this.

http://mikk2.wordpress.com/2010/06/08/hayley-spills/

It seems the message changes everyday. If skimmers had been on standby, on site, the entire month of May, there would be jokes and theatrics about that.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I want to start by saying this is not an attack on the Democrats.... JAY....
This is me being pizzed off at the media.

WTF!!! Last time I checked, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was a huge ecological disaster not a "political problem" for the White House! Stopping the leak will be "Improving political environment for the Democrats"!!!!!! Priorities are a little screwed up huh!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...flection-point
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relief Well Status

They don't advertise this but as of 6-13-2010 the relief well is at 13,973 ft of a planned 18,000 ft. They did say they are ahead of schedule and this is a bit of good news. This is the only guaranteed way to stop the flow of oil. I sure hope it continues at this rate and they can start pumping the concrete soon!

That is, if they are not lying about the depth. One major problem is being able to hit the existing bore exactly, I am amazed that this would even be possible.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the goverment sat on their hands instead of making a decison on a timley manner. That is the difference between a businessman and a politian. tomtbone

How soon we forget that BP lulled the government to sleep with their spillage estimates. They said they could deal with 1000gal/day. Why would Obama not believe them?

BTW since America doesn't build those skimmer ships any more(if we ever did), the Jones Act needs to be repealed.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmando
the goverment sat on their hands instead of making a decison on a timley manner. That is the difference between a businessman and a politian. tomtbone

How soon we forget that BP lulled the government to sleep with their spillage estimates. They said they could deal with 1000gal/day. Why would Obama not believe them?

BTW since America doesn't build those skimmer ships any more(if we ever did), the Jones Act needs to be repealed.
I am not sticking up for BP. I am complaing about the BS Jones Act. A succesful Businessman would have asked the right questions, and had the right guys calling the shots. Not allow the wolf to watch the hen house and asume everything is OK.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
All would have been better served if the estimates of oil gushing into the Gulf were better earlier on. It wasn't until BP released the video that other experts began to estimate on their own.

As of last week, the operations were being recrafted into one of far more skimming. The logistics involved are being worked on, as they need to build mooring sites to allow for more tankers safely into the area. Foreign ships are already working in the area, and aside from news reports and requests like the one above, there had been no such official outcry before. I think if the dispersants hadn't been used in such a quantity, this would have been a skimming operation a month ago. They've just recently had a fire aboard ship on one of them. Nice of Jeff Miller to chime in a week after most of this was going down.

If BP had been solely in charge of this operation with no oversight or prodding, we'd still be hearing how this spill is small compared to others, and how letting the experts deal with it is best.

So as of last Friday, there were ".. Allen said, 25,000 people are working on the gusher in the Gulf using 400 skimming vessels, 500 barges, 2,500 government and contract vessels and 66 aircraft. I think the number you stated was 32 skimmers. A slight difference. The foreign skimmers already working in the Gulf are from Norway and Mexico.

Here's a story from direct sources from May 27th. It lacks the hysterics that some are fond of, but does state the events well.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ssistance.html
I agree with a lot of this, but as soon as you hear "explosion" on an oil rig, and oil spill at 5000 ft. in the Gulf of Mexico a govt. agency should have sprung into action.

That didn't happen. To make matters worse, BP broadcast images and experts speculated as to how much oil was spilling in the Gulf. Still the govt. did nothing.

You can blame BP all you want for the spill. I blame the HELL out of BP for the spill, but the Fed. Govt. botched the cleanup effort hard core. I don't care if BP said "hey, we got this" when you can SEE a chit-ton of oil all over the place, creeping onto the beaches you're already too late, but we STILL did nothing as tar balls and gunk began cluttering our beaches.

Governors, mayors and other public officials begged and pleaded for help and got nothing. Our govt. effed up, BIG TIME!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
They don't advertise this but as of 6-13-2010 the relief well is at 13,973 ft of a planned 18,000 ft. They did say they are ahead of schedule and this is a bit of good news. This is the only guaranteed way to stop the flow of oil. I sure hope it continues at this rate and they can start pumping the concrete soon!

That is, if they are not lying about the depth. One major problem is being able to hit the existing bore exactly, I am amazed that this would even be possible.

That's your corporate backup BS right there.
They've been ahead on that one relief almost right from the start
If they hit it, and hit it "early" (compared to thier own projection) they'll be heroes, or certianly in the PR sense get back some of what's been lost (and stock value)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.