Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
I would say the talking heads on TV are useless and the real genus is found behind the scenes actually getting it done,they need left alone.
I think the real smart guys were left alone to do it to it Steve. Look at your Post #29 here http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/3101209-post29.html

People have questioned this one way or another since April. It certainly has been a roller coaster of emotions, not to mention actual happenings.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if someone has a fix, they are out here, or they know someone out here so they are heard.
the people who could have a fix, have a history in the industry, then they know people. if they have no experienced in the industry they dont know all the variables.

Last edited by sixmassive; 07-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I think the real smart guys were left alone to do it to it Steve. Look at your Post #29 here http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/3101209-post29.html

People have questioned this one way or another since April. It certainly has been a roller coaster of emotions, not to mention actual happenings.
Yes and they had NO fire booms as I understand, One was stocked in Florida ONE!!! these should have been on site the first day by the dozen and the slick just kept on growing to an uncontrollable size.

The ineptness of these people calling the shots in our Government is absolutely breathtaking. If I did not know better I would say it was deliberate.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sixmassive
if someone has a fix, they are out here, or they know someone out here so they are heard.
the people who could have a fix, have a history in the industry, then they know people. if they have no experienced in the industry they dont know all the variables.
I will tell you who has a fix that is John Wright the best RW driller in the world and he is on the job.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work on the Q4000. any events or details of operation cant be discussed unless it has been released by BP PR. Company policy.
Hey Six,

Good to have someone here with firsthand knowledge.

Have you seen this press release from BP saying all of its employees should feel free to talk to the media?

http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?...tentId=7063384

I agree with everything you have said and believe they are probably being overcautious because they are in the spotlight with live feeds showing almost everything they do. The media are just waiting to hang them for any thing they can blow out of proportion.

My neighbor is an engineer for BJ who had one of the frac boats out there for top kill. They definetly held back from what he told me using only up to 8100 psi and 14 lbs mud. They were just following orders from the brain trust of BP and the Gov.

From afar it looks like a case of too many Cheifs and not enough Indians. But I guess the Gov and BP figure we are used to the current situation and are trying to manage the risk of another perceived failure.

Good luck out there!

Ron
Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wally: exactly

Why BP is taking all the blame i do not know. BP is simply a customer who contracted Transocean to drill the well. they also contracted Cameron to build the BOP and then later modified it. Transocean has the final say of what goes on on the rig, not BP.
If you contract Joe Blow to build you a house, he states to build it, but starts to fall behind schedule, you start to rush him, he takes some shortcuts, and then the roof collapses. . . whose fault is that?
I am not saying that BP is not responsible nor am i pointing that Transocean is responsible. the media is having a blast just throwing names out there. once this is stopped, i guess they will figure out who gets the bill.

and on boycotting BP gas stations. . .stupid stupid. .
1. you are causing local business owners to lose money, not BP. look up how a gas station franchise is operated.
2. how do you expect BP to pay for the clean up if we dont support them? I sure as f dont want it taken out of the taxes i pay.

I am not yelling, angered or frustrated here with anyone. i am just posting. no hard feeling to anyone

I was wondering that also, the company I used to work for had a bad accident, left a pipeline open for a week or two trying to get it cleaned up(gas line, not oil). That company took all the heat for the mess, not who contracted us to do the job. However when the dust setteled and the law suits started flying, every company involved got sued. Same situation, corner cutting to save money.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Oil well appears capped!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Yes and they had NO fire booms as I understand, One was stocked in Florida ONE!!! these should have been on site the first day by the dozen and the slick just kept on growing to an uncontrollable size.

The ineptness of these people calling the shots in our Government is absolutely breathtaking. If I did not know better I would say it was deliberate.
I would have thought "assumed", that with so many drilling platforms in the GOM, things like that would have been stockpiled and maintained as a normal course of business. I was amazed that the first line of defense for such a spill were the oil booms. Everybody I read statements from in the business laughed at them in that type of area and spill. Limited use for sure.

I think everyone is aware now that the oil industry wasn't prepared at all for a large spill, let alone one of this magnitude. It is my opinion that Govenment's job now is to ensure that Everybody Is prepared in the future.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Oil well appears capped!
yep! sure like like it worked! now they will hold it at pressure for 48hrs and see if she holds! cross your fingers and toes!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wally
The reason they have to slowly close the valve on the current cap is due to whats called a Fluid Hammer, or more commonly known in residential plumbing as a water hammer. You get them when a fluid (usually a liquid but sometimes also a gas) in motion is forced to stop or change direction suddenly. Water hammer commonly occurs when a valve is closed suddenly at an end of a pipeline system, and a pressure wave propagates in the pipe. This pressure wave can cause major problems, from noise and vibration to pipe collapse. The resulting pressure spike can be as much as 10x if not more then the orriginal pressure output! So if the well is at 14k psi and they try and force all that top kill to try and stop the flow and create a hammer they could see pressures upwards of 140,000 psi!!!
I dont work in the oil industry or have much knowledge of how things work in that field...but i do work in the pumping field...the pumps we make range from 1gpm up to 200+ gpm and have seen some strange things result from fluid hammers. We make a 316 stainless pump for the military that has the pumps walls 1/4" thick and gets welded shut that we rate for 1000psi.....we have had them return one to us for evaluation and saw the entire rear housing blown out and busted open like a flower!! Now we have equipment to test the burst pressure of our pumps....we can simulte pressures up to 5000psi....that same pump only starts to distort the rear housing!!! so we can only assume they had WAY more then 5k psi in the pump head to cause that kind of damage!!!...and of course they cant tell us what they are doing with it!
Thanks Wally I had never heard of a 'fluid hammer'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.