Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico >

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Notices

Oil spill in the gulf of Mexico

Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

from what i hear they are testing the seafood better now than they were before and I'm not afraid to eat it.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
from what i hear they are testing the seafood better now than they were before and I'm not afraid to eat it.
So you trust the FDA to tell the truth about food contamination? I used to trust them BB(Before Bush) but I'm not so sure now...
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Yeah I know we're not hearing about it because the Obama administration is actively working with BP to restrict non-oil media access to the Gulf. The Coast Guard has forced reporters off the beaches and out of the marshes where oil has collected. I've never heard of anything like that before, have you?

As to the shrimp, clams and other seafood taken from the Gulf, can the oil-free seafood be kept separate from the other in the packing plants? How would that work exactly? Would the packages be labeled "Oil Free"?

As to actually catching my seafood, sounds like a great vacation, but we're not talking about a week or so in the marshes; we're talking about 30% of the seafood America consumes coming from the Gulf of Mexico and how safe it is. Until it is found to be safe, I'm sure you can understand the American people's reluctance to consume it...
The only area that has limited access now is ~750 Ft around where the accident occurred, now DURING the spill they had limited access to beaches, marshes, etc. not because they did not want them to see what was happening but from an Industrial Hygiene standpoint some of these areas needed respirators and other PPE to be safe. If there is an accident on the highway with haz chemicals, does the state police allow reporters go to into the "hot zone" with the clean-up crew, hell no. So, it was for their own safety. Again how do i know? friends of mine did the air quality monitoring in these areas for the workers.

All shrimp that is sold to processors gets visually checked by humans, sniffed by dogs, sampled and checked by GCMS. The USDA is checking all of it. It just doesen't go from the boat straight to the resturant. Again, the state does not want any problems, so they are going through extreme measures to be sure that it is safe. If that is not enough for you, then hey, don't eat it.
When i talk about fishing for trout or redfish, man if you haven't experienced it, there is nothing like it. A great time for guy's, girls, and kids you will never soon forget. You don't have to go for a week, it is not an offshore trip, just a few hours. All the fish you catch they clean(fillet), package and send it with you. A great weekend vacation, french quarter, saints game (if they start winning again), and a fishing trip.

Obviously, I cannot change you mind about it and i won't try. I eat seafood almost weekly,trout and redfish that my father in law catches (he fishes every weekend) shrimp that my friends caught, oysters that my family and friends caught (only grilled, i hate raw oysters!)sometimes a few times per week, if i go to a resturant and they tell me they do not serve louisiana seafood, i don't eat it. If i didn't think it were safe i would not let my wife and son eat it. I don't feel that way because the guberment told me it was safe, it is because i make educated and informed decisions. Again like i said in my above post, all i can tell you is the FACTS that i know, not what i have read.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info JLAY. We all want to see the Gulf seafood industry recover ASAP. We always bought Gulf seafood...
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So you trust the FDA to tell the truth about food contamination? I used to trust them BB(Before Bush) but I'm not so sure now...
man o man cat always gotta be political...."BB" give me a break!!! I don't trust any government agency!!! BB or not!!! government is the problem not the solution!!!! this is about people on the gulf and the gulf cost recovering...mother nature will be fine..she always is! I gotta die of something anyway just as well be from seafood !!!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was trying to think of BB's the same ways as DD (double D's), but just couldn't get both hands around the concept
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I was trying to think of BB's the same ways as DD (double D's), but just couldn't get both hands around the concept
I see or should it be C??? I do like motor boatn!!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VtSteve
VtSteve your mind is always in the gutter! Must be the weather up there...

Last edited by Catmando; 10-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've been listening to the Reich Wing media way too much. There is no money unaccounted for from the election; it's all in the DCCC bank accounts.

The "nincompoops" were the ones that did NOT win.

It does not surprise me that you support the Ayn Rand Paul head stomping thugs. Have you polished your Nazi jackboots today? Sieg Heil!
That commie Skank that kissed the sidewalk is a professional leftwing agitator on the Soros payroll, BTW show me some documentation on that Kenyan third world rubbish. Jackboots LOL You mean the SEIU chitbag Purple shirts and the New Black panther scum Right!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JLAY
The only area that has limited access now is ~750 Ft around where the accident occurred, now DURING the spill they had limited access to beaches, marshes, etc. not because they did not want them to see what was happening but from an Industrial Hygiene standpoint some of these areas needed respirators and other PPE to be safe. If there is an accident on the highway with haz chemicals, does the state police allow reporters go to into the "hot zone" with the clean-up crew, hell no. So, it was for their own safety. Again how do i know? friends of mine did the air quality monitoring in these areas for the workers.

All shrimp that is sold to processors gets visually checked by humans, sniffed by dogs, sampled and checked by GCMS. The USDA is checking all of it. It just doesen't go from the boat straight to the resturant. Again, the state does not want any problems, so they are going through extreme measures to be sure that it is safe. If that is not enough for you, then hey, don't eat it.
When i talk about fishing for trout or redfish, man if you haven't experienced it, there is nothing like it. A great time for guy's, girls, and kids you will never soon forget. You don't have to go for a week, it is not an offshore trip, just a few hours. All the fish you catch they clean(fillet), package and send it with you. A great weekend vacation, french quarter, saints game (if they start winning again), and a fishing trip.

Obviously, I cannot change you mind about it and i won't try. I eat seafood almost weekly,trout and redfish that my father in law catches (he fishes every weekend) shrimp that my friends caught, oysters that my family and friends caught (only grilled, i hate raw oysters!)sometimes a few times per week, if i go to a resturant and they tell me they do not serve louisiana seafood, i don't eat it. If i didn't think it were safe i would not let my wife and son eat it. I don't feel that way because the guberment told me it was safe, it is because i make educated and informed decisions. Again like i said in my above post, all i can tell you is the FACTS that i know, not what i have read.
Here are some facts from fishermen who were in the area of the "algal bloom";

On October 23, the Coast Guard claimed that the substance floating in the miles-wide areas of West Bay appeared to be "an algal bloom."

Lt. Cmdr. Chris O'Neil said a pollution investigator for the Coast Guard collected samples from the area, and while they had yet to be tested, said, "based on his observation and what he sees in the sample jars, he believes that to be an algal bloom."

Fishermen who have traveled through and fished in the area over the weekend, however, refute these Coast Guard claims.

"I scooped some up, and it feels like oil, looks like oil, is brownish red like all the dispersed oil we've been seeing since this whole thing started," fisherman David Arenesen, from Venice, Louisiana, told Truthout. "It doesn't look like algae to me. Algae doesn't stick on your fingers, and algae isn't oily. The area of this stuff spans an area of 30 miles, from Southwest Pass almost all the way over to Grand Isle, and runs very far off-shore too. We rode through it for over 20 miles while we were going out to fish, I dipped some up, and it's oil."

Arenesen saw the substance on Friday, the same day it was reported by the Times Picayune newspaper in New Orleans.

"It was at least an inch thick, and it went on for miles," Arenesen added. "It would be easy to clean since it's all floating on the surface."

Truthout spoke with Gary Robinson, a hook-and-line, mackerel, commercial fisherman working out of Venice, who was also in the substance in question recently.

"I was out in West Bay on October 22nd, and I was in this thick brown foam, about five inches thick, with red swirls of oil throughout it, and there was a lot of it, at least a 10 mile patch of it," Robinson said while speaking to Truthout on his boat. "I've never seen anything like that foam before; the red stuff in it was weathered oil, and there was sheen coming off my boat when I came back into harbor. I'm concerned about the safety of the fish I'm catching."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.