Notices

LOTO - No wake

Old 04-25-2002, 02:21 PM
Mrs 283Check

Angry LOTO - No wake

From the Lake Sun Leader:

Boating restriction on Glaize OK'd

Water Patrol approves Grand Glaize Safe Boating Association proposal with some modifications

By Joyce L. Miller

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - A controversial move to further restrict boating on the Grand Glaize Arm of Lake of the Ozarks has been approved by the colonel of the Missouri Water Patrol.

The proposal to impose an additional no-wake zone on that arm of the lake was presented by the Grand Glaize Safe Boating Association.

A committee of Water Patrol officers who serve on Lake of the Ozarks must review such requests and Col. Jerry Adams has the final say in approving the application.

The boating association has argued that their problems with traffic and property damage from wakes began about five years ago when Party Cove moved to Anderson Hollow Cove at the 4-mile marker on the Glaize Arm.

The GGSBA is made up of property and business owners on the Grand Glaize Arm.

Association members contend the traffic to and from Party Cove has caused a number of safety problems.

The decision announced Tuesday afternoon by Water Patrol Col. Jerry Adams will slow down the traffic on the Grand Glaize,

What Adams approved is a modified version of the GGSBA's original proposal, including a stipulation the no-wake zone will be reviewed in one year.

The changes, according to the Water Patrol, were made at the request of the buoy committee which is made up of two corporals, two sergeants and the captain at Lake of the Ozarks.

Boaters who travel the Grand Glaize Arm this summer on weekends and holidays can expect to spend an additional 15 to 20 minutes idling down the lake to Anderson Hollow Cove once the new restrictions are in place.

Beginning Memorial Day weekend, the proposal approved by Adams calls for extending the existing no-wake zone from the Grand Glaize Bridge to the 2-mile marker at the Moorings Yacht Club. The no-wake zone will be enforced on holidays and weekends or about 33 days a year from 10 a.m. to sunset. The no-wake zone will be in effect through Labor Day.

The existing buoys along the north shore of the Glaize Arm from the Moorings to Temple Resort at the 3-mile marker will be moved 500 feet from the shoreline to create a safety corridor for slower, smaller craft. The original application requested a distance of 600 feet. That will leave more than 1,100 feet between the north-shore buoys and the Lake of the Ozarks State Park side of the Glaize Arm for boaters traveling at higher rates of speed.

Additional changes to the proposal include turning down a request to buoy off the cove at Temple Resort, requiring additional navigational aides and moving the buoys on the north side of the Grand Glaize Bridge 300 feet from the structure instead of the current 400 feet.

The buoy committee also requested a move to lift the no-wake zone in Anderson Hollow Cove at sunset be denied. The final recommendation would leave the cove no-wake 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays. The restriction will be lifted during the week to open the cove for fishing and skiing.

The GGSBA will be responsible for purchasing about 20 buoys and several signs that will mark the idle speed zone.

The Water Patrol is also considering an additional regulation at the mouth of Anderson Hollow Cove to cut down on the number of accidents in the area. There was no information available on what those regulations might include or when the Water Patrol will make a decision.

Old 04-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bummer!
Old 04-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really have a problem with the no wake zone. If it helps create a little "good will" toward the cove so much the better. Plus with all the dumb ass and drunk drivers leaving the cove it will be a lot safer.

mike
Old 04-25-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

if i'm interpreting this correctly, the "idle zone" will only be from the Grand Glaize bridge to the Moorings Yacht Club, which is not a 20-30 minute idle....more like a 10-minute idle. i don't have a problem with it. although i loved to rip and tear across the sloppy water in that stretch.

am i wrong here?

jbk
Old 04-25-2002, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

link to the Missouri Water Patrol with info on the restrictionhttp://www.mswp.state.mo.us/
Old 04-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jbk
I think you've got it about right. You already have to slow at the bridge anyway. No big deal.
The bigger issue is what will happen to other parts of the lake now. Once one part of the lake gets a no wake zone, everybody from other parts of the lake are going to want their own regulations.
Troutly,
It's not a safety issue, it's about damage to docks and property from boat wakes. Slow speed zone would allow the cruisers to continue to plow through. They're the ones causing all the wake damage.
My $0.02
Gary
Old 04-25-2002, 03:43 PM
SpeedFreak

Chad,

I believe you are correct; I interputed the ruling the same as you did. Not a huge deal only about ten more minutes of idiling time. I guess it might help the property owners out along that small stretch of water, but it sure was fun water to run through on the wknds.

Barry

Old 04-25-2002, 03:52 PM
283CHECK

Wonder how many on the GGSBA own gas stations

I do agree that this will not be much more of an inconvince but now they are just moving any problem of getting on and off plane further down the shore line. If I remember correctly there are house just past the moorings. Also the point on the problem being caused by the cursiers is the main issue. There are way too many under powered cursiers on LOTO, either that or the operators needs to learn how to put the things on plane and then slow back to a crusieing spead!!

Old 04-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary- you are correct. they say it is a safety issue to slide it through and obtain public appeal, but in reality "property damage" is the real issue. you are correct on your assumption of the increase in applications of "idle zones". i think this is like a bad case of poison ivy....first it is on your arm, then it spreads to your hand, then your face.....next thing you know you are afraid to take a piss.......

Barry- one of the best stretches of the lake for the rough stuff!
Old 04-25-2002, 04:56 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree,,, I liked to fly through there as much as the next guy,,, and probably partially responsible for the new law !!! But it is probably for the best,,, I have seen smaller boats, and less expierienced boaters get into trouble in that area.

And another 15 minuts isnt going to hurt anyone,,,, ok maybe a couple of us who run rich at idle,,,, but a good time can get ruined quickly by injury or damage and its a long season,,, personally,,, I still can't wait !!!

Quick Reply: LOTO - No wake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.