Notices

New to OSO & Larger boats

Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double R- So you guys took over Central Marine in Midland? I forget who I was talking to at the Gas dock last weekend?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Mercury ran the Alpha's on BBC's a number of years ago. On small blocks I've seen them handle up to 400 hp turing high rpms if you're easy on them.

One thing you can do that I think will be a good bang for your buck is to scrap the cleaver style props for a set of Mercury Mirage Plus.

You'll get on plane much easier and your mid-range cruise speed will be a lot higher. Top end speed will be about the same, possibly a little less but the boat will handle better in my opinion.

Good luck with her, she's a classic!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think the bravo is longer than the mr or alpha so if you go to bravo drives you will slow down like my friend did. There are shorter bravo drives to match the alpha.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

This past weekend I was currently running 53mph (GPS) @ 4300 rpm, with aluminum 21's. Whats the best prop combo for all around runnng/Paining/ top speed? Where should the rpm be at for this size prop? Want to get it dialed in this week- planing a somewhat off-shore tour...

Last edited by Drive_Eater; 07-06-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

So what do you want to know?? As long as the drives are in good shape, they should handle your power just fine, keep up on oil changes and drive showers wouldnt be a bad idea., also pull the tirebar and try to wiggle the drives side to side, if they wiggle you need to do a little work, also check the condition of the bellows. If you have any stalling problems while docking its most likely time to replace the lower shift cable..... you have a deep X if its unmolested, no need for the cleavers. Your boat was originally designed by a member of the board named 'Brownie' when he had Nova Marine. He sold the 24 to wellcraft. I get right around 47 with stock 302's. Looking at the pik, I believe the stringers/transom may have been redone at some point as the 77 had a tub in the back that the engines sat in. You have a great riding boat that looks to be in great shape.

Last edited by phragle; 07-06-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
One thing you can do that I think will be a good bang for your buck is to scrap the cleaver style props for a set of Mercury Mirage Plus.

You'll get on plane much easier and your mid-range cruise speed will be a lot higher. Top end speed will be about the same, possibly a little less but the boat will handle better in my opinion.

Good luck with her, she's a classic!
Originally Posted by Drive_Eater
This past weekend I was currently running 53mph (GPS) @ 4300 rpm, with aluminum 21's. Whats the best prop combo for all around runnng/Paining/ top speed? Where should the rpm be at for this size prop? Want to get it dialed in this week- planing a somewhat off-shore tour...

I think you'll do best with a mirage plus or maybe a laser II.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Registered

I have access to mirage's so i'll try them out.... Thanks for the input!