Notices

Stereo gurus. need help

Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

get a meter and test the ohms at speaker leads where they come into the amp. also check and make sure the amp gains are not cranked all out and maxed.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast Rafe
1) wired to the wrong ohms maybe
2) amp is under powered how is an amp under powered?
3) power and ground wire to small it has a huge freakin wire abt 3/4"..lol sorry dont know gage
4) ground wire not grounded well dont think so bc sometimes it will jam then just cut off. its cut off while sitting on the trailer

here are the speakers i have

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+MM651UM.html
Originally Posted by kyboy1020
Amp is underpowered for the speaker set up is what that means. That sounds like your issue since turning it down fixes it. Check to see how you have the speakers wired and give us details of the amp
I think Kyboy is on the right track, it is more thant likely one of the above items.

Amps can easily be underpowered for the load they are seeing. As a matter of fact it is much better to have an amp that is overpowered (truly more power than you need, not just over-rated) than to have an amp that is under powered. That amp will have to work harder to produce the desired SPL and will more than likely start clipping. This is where the waveform flattens out because the amp is not stable at the required current. This causes distrtion and serious heat issues.

Sounds like this could be your problem and it could be as the others have noted directly related to how your 8(?) 4 ohm speakers are wired to the amp.

Also, you are on the right track re: the ground issue and the amp shutting off quickly. If it were a ground problem it would probably be a softer clip, for lack of better terms. However in a boat the ground issue would have nothing to do with whether the boat is on the trailer. It either has a good ground or not.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered

here is the amp and speakers im running.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r+ZX850.4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+MM651UM.html

so this is what i done last night

ohm on each speaker lead is 3.8ohm
if i wire 2 speakers parallel it bounces from 1.9 to 2

fyi my radio volume maxes at 34 and the amp gain is at a quarter

I hooked 4 speakers to its own channel and it played fine to 34 as soon as i changed one channel to 2 speakers wired parallel it cut out. If i lowered the volume to 25 it will come back on and play. but on high pitch sounds at volume 25 it cuts back out and 3-4 seconds pass and it comes back

did i confuse you?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

The ohm reading is a dc resistance measurement. The impedance can be much different, and it always varies with frequency. That is what the amp really sees.

Either way, sounds like the amp is not stable at the lower impedance you are trying to drive. Did you check each speaker ohm reading at the amp?

Why you say high pitch, you mean volume (spl) or bass, or highs?

Just for fun, raise your low pass filter up (high frequency, meaning less low frequency to the speakers) and see what happens.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You got 4 ohm speakers and a 4 ohm amp. Put each speaker on its own channel and you should be fine. There is no reason to parallell them you have plenty of power and don't need to lower to 2 ohm.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

high pass filter is on and eq is set to cut out all bass

kyboy
I have 8 speakers. If i run 4 speakers on its own channel then i have 4 speakers not hooked up
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

this stereo is really kicking my a$$

the worse is when the girls are booty shaking and just when the party is about to get started the stereo cuts out and everyone looks at me like WTF
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

You can try turning your gain up on the amp. It probably won't make a difference but it is worth a shot.

It seems to me your amp isn't liking the 2 ohm load. I'm pretty sure the real solution to this is to add another 4 channel amp to the system.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yep...you need a amp with more channels. Unplug four speakers for now and only run 4. It will sound better and work better. You are straining the amp with the 2ohm load.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Just because kicker said it is stable at 2 ohm doesn't mean it is.

Get another four channel amp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.