Notices

decal removal ?

Old 04-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decal removal ?

what is easiest way to remove old vinyl decals with out harming gelcoat . need to remove old decals to replace with new ones , any sugestions ?
Old 04-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just peeled the graphics off my 96 Scarab tonight. Took the daughter and I about an hour to do both sides. Peeled right off! Didn't leave any adhesive behind or anything. This is a first for me? Usually not this easy. Might try and see.

Buck
Old 04-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Easy off oven cleaner will also do the trick for stuck on grapics.
but wear gloves,wont harm the gelcoat,but burns the chit out of your skin
Old 04-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Registered

Lightbulb Decal Removal

I've always had the best luck with using a hair dryer,
a little heat and they will peel right off,rub the surface with a little compond afterwards and you cant see a thing as to where they had been. works great on racecars and boats, Good luck,
eliminator219
Old 04-30-2002, 11:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try the hair dryer and use the EZ off as a last resort. It can sometimes cause the glass to oxidize a lot. It does work well to remove paint however. If you have adhesive left over get some Goof Off or De Solv It at Home Depot-works great.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:33 PM
Registered

3M makes a "rubber" type wheel that takes decals off. I use them on trucks all the time to remove stubborn old vinyl. They do not harm paint so I would assume they would not harm gel coat. You can get them at auto supply houses that carry paint refinishing products.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:46 PM
Registered

Default Decals

[QUOTE]Originally posted by insptech
I would try the hair dryer and use the EZ off as a last resort. It can sometimes cause the glass to oxidize a lot. It does work well to remove paint however. If you have adhesive left over get some Goof Off or De Solv It at Home Depot-works great. [
/QUOTE]

Insptech, you are on the ball as far as the goof goes but I never said a thing about Ez off, someone else did. I said to use a hair dryer, not a heat gun, and a little rubbing compound afterwards if it still show a little in the gelcoat.
just to clean it up. It has always worked for me without any burns.
eliminator219
Old 05-01-2002, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

We have to add and remove stickers quite a bit on the boat as each race location has different local sponsors. Our vinyl shop here uses a product in a small squirt bottle called "sticker off." I do not know who makes it, but it works really well for him. He squirts this suff on and waits for a few minutes then peels the decals off usually in one piece with very little or no glue left behind. It also seems that the grade of vinyl makes a difference too. If it is a good vinyl then it will peel off easily, but if it is a thin vinyl it may take some work. Check with your local shop that does vehicle lettering as they may have this product or be able to point you in the right direction.

Lynch Mob (F2-3)
Old 05-01-2002, 07:37 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

What can you use to remove the State sticker? It seems like it's made to not come off. I need to change them (in Ohio) every three years. Was thinking about the hair dryer.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

Try Hardline Products:

http://www.hardlineproducts.com/prod...tickeroff.html

They also make a product called Sticker On, which I've used to put decals on. Other cool stuff as well.

Quick Reply: decal removal ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.