Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Most efficient process to buy a boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/234298-most-efficient-process-buy-boat.html)

Stilwell 07-08-2010 12:10 PM

Most efficient process to buy a boat

Looking at a couple of boats and am curious as to what the norm or best practice is when going through the actual evaluation / buying process. For this discussion, I am assuming one has already determined what kind and size of boat they want, can afford, can insure, will fit in their storage space, etc.. The steps I can think of are following in an order that makes sense to me. Please let me know what you think and if I am missing something.

1. Look at the boat
2. Detailed inspection (Go through all of the compartments and accessories to see what works and what doesn't trying to get a feel for how it has been maintained, look at the oil, gear lube, trailer tires, wheel bearings,etc.)
3. Understand the price and if within reason for the boat move on to step 4, if not start negotiations subject to water test and survey.
4. Water Test
5. Survey
6. Negotiate (price, delivery, financing and accessories if from a dealer)
7. Pay for it and take delivery

Also, is there anything like a boat history report similar to Carfax for cars?

Thanks.

cdowns 07-08-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stilwell (Post 3154019)
Looking at a couple of boats and am curious as to what the norm or best practice is when going through the actual evaluation / buying process. For this discussion, I am assuming one has already determined what kind and size of boat they want, can afford, can insure, will fit in their storage space, etc.. The steps I can think of are following in an order that makes sense to me. Please let me know what you think and if I am missing something.

1. Look at the boat
2. Detailed inspection (Go through all of the compartments and accessories to see what works and what doesn't trying to get a feel for how it has been maintained, look at the oil, gear lube, trailer tires, wheel bearings,etc.)
3. Understand the price and if within reason for the boat move on to step 4, if not start negotiations subject to water test and survey.
4. Water Test
5. Survey

Thanks.

You forgot CALL PIER 57 731-689-4000:drink:

DollaBill 07-08-2010 12:20 PM

What size boat and whats your approximate budget range? under 50K, over 100K, 250K? etc.

Von Bongo 07-08-2010 12:27 PM

As a seller I've always agreed on price before the survey and water test with the caviot that anything that shows up can be fixed or price adjusted then. Just like buying a house.

Caincando1 07-08-2010 12:30 PM

I was going to suggest a suit case full of cash... but your list will work too..:lolhit:

DollaBill 07-08-2010 12:40 PM

I 've sold tons of boats over the years. But the fun part is helping someone buy one.

offshoredrillin 07-08-2010 12:43 PM

ask Dreamer, he has it down to a science :evilb:

Sydwayz 07-08-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3154051)
ask Dreamer, he has it down to a science :evilb:

All except for the taking delivery part. He has no experience with such.

seafordguy 07-08-2010 12:53 PM

I inspected the boat, negotiated a price subject to successful survey and sea trial, then I bought it.

A survey, and hands on common sense are as close to a "Boatfax" as you can get...

blume 07-08-2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stilwell (Post 3154019)

1. Look at the boat
4. Water Test
5. Survey

Thanks.

You need this with step #7. The most important thing in my opinion is to get a Coast Gaurd Documentaion service to handle the paper work and the payoffs and make sure all of the stuff is done to protect the buyer and make sure when the money is transferred you own your boat.