Most efficient process to buy a boat >

Most efficient process to buy a boat

Notices

Most efficient process to buy a boat

Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most efficient process to buy a boat

Looking at a couple of boats and am curious as to what the norm or best practice is when going through the actual evaluation / buying process. For this discussion, I am assuming one has already determined what kind and size of boat they want, can afford, can insure, will fit in their storage space, etc.. The steps I can think of are following in an order that makes sense to me. Please let me know what you think and if I am missing something.

1. Look at the boat
2. Detailed inspection (Go through all of the compartments and accessories to see what works and what doesn't trying to get a feel for how it has been maintained, look at the oil, gear lube, trailer tires, wheel bearings,etc.)
3. Understand the price and if within reason for the boat move on to step 4, if not start negotiations subject to water test and survey.
4. Water Test
5. Survey
6. Negotiate (price, delivery, financing and accessories if from a dealer)
7. Pay for it and take delivery

Also, is there anything like a boat history report similar to Carfax for cars?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Stilwell
Looking at a couple of boats and am curious as to what the norm or best practice is when going through the actual evaluation / buying process. For this discussion, I am assuming one has already determined what kind and size of boat they want, can afford, can insure, will fit in their storage space, etc.. The steps I can think of are following in an order that makes sense to me. Please let me know what you think and if I am missing something.

1. Look at the boat
2. Detailed inspection (Go through all of the compartments and accessories to see what works and what doesn't trying to get a feel for how it has been maintained, look at the oil, gear lube, trailer tires, wheel bearings,etc.)
3. Understand the price and if within reason for the boat move on to step 4, if not start negotiations subject to water test and survey.
4. Water Test
5. Survey

Thanks.
You forgot CALL PIER 57 731-689-4000
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size boat and whats your approximate budget range? under 50K, over 100K, 250K? etc.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a seller I've always agreed on price before the survey and water test with the caviot that anything that shows up can be fixed or price adjusted then. Just like buying a house.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered

I was going to suggest a suit case full of cash... but your list will work too..
Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 've sold tons of boats over the years. But the fun part is helping someone buy one.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

ask Dreamer, he has it down to a science
Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
ask Dreamer, he has it down to a science
All except for the taking delivery part. He has no experience with such.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I inspected the boat, negotiated a price subject to successful survey and sea trial, then I bought it.

A survey, and hands on common sense are as close to a "Boatfax" as you can get...
Old 07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stilwell

1. Look at the boat
4. Water Test
5. Survey

Thanks.
You need this with step #7. The most important thing in my opinion is to get a Coast Gaurd Documentaion service to handle the paper work and the payoffs and make sure all of the stuff is done to protect the buyer and make sure when the money is transferred you own your boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.