Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will Anyone Ever Break Warby's Record? >

Will Anyone Ever Break Warby's Record?

Notices
View Poll Results: Will Ken Warby's water-speed record of 317 mph ever be broken?
Yes.
60.00%
No.
40.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Will Anyone Ever Break Warby's Record?

Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Default Will Anyone Ever Break Warby's Record?

In 1978, Ken Warby set the existing water-speed record of 317 mph. That record has not just stood for 30-plus years, it has not even been approached.

Several years ago I covered the efforts of a British water-speed record campaign that never materialized. The driver/project leader told me Warby's record, "left a lot on the table."

I could only shake my head.

Covering the Phenomenon effort, which wasn't going after anything near the Warby record, in the past seven months got me thinking.

Will anyone ever break Warby's record?

My answer, for the record, is no for a number of reasons, the biggest one being economics. The publicity benefits/advertising benefits of breaking the record can't even approach the cost of what it would take to do it.

So what's your answer?

Have fun.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought it was no. No offence to Ken or any of the guys trying to beat the old record. I just think that is was one of those moments in time when desire and sheer luck met. It’s a very deadly speed and I think the mortality factor will be the restriction for beating it. I really doubt Ken knew how close he was to death back them. I think he figured it out after the fact and that why he’s never tried it again. No point to cheating death twice. The margin for error is so small that it is probably just not worth doing.

However if it is going to happen, it will be in a BIG craft like the Phenomenon boat. A larger craft will have a little bigger margin for error, thus lowering the risk potential…albeit only slightly.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe another reason is the last few people that attempted the record died trying.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Key word in your question is EVER. I believe at some point it will be broken but probably not in the next 20 years IMO. Technology will advance and at some point it will become feasable in a larger boat like mentioned above.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kenwarby.com/introduction.htm

wow that boat he broke the record in looks like a death trap
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forever is a very long time. Next 10-15yrs probably not
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would give it 20 years before anyone would even think about it with some new technology and a computer driven boat.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Registered

Good question... kind of like the 1/4 mile records the Rocket Cars set in the Low 3's at 400+ so long ago.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered

To go 317hp on the water takes huge stones....that man deserves major respect and then some!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

I think it could be done, but the consequences will prevent people from trying for the foreseeable future. Several people (two, I think) have completed a flying kilo at greater than 300, but Warby is the only man to have survived the second one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.