Notices

Cigarette vs Donzi

Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette vs Donzi

Although I know Cigarette boats I have no experience about Donzi's. What is Donzi quality, is it equal to Cigarette in terms of robustness, performance, handling?
Is there a real justification between the price of a Cigarette 39TG and a Donzi 38R (about 120K USD less)?
Thanks for your opinion!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Don't know about the Cig, but I bought a 38 ZR w 525s yesterday, (waiting for survey and financing to be done), but I couldnt find anything better performance wise dollar for dollar. Yesterday with 600 pounds of people, 1/3 tank of gas, flat water (no chop), and engines not broken in we hit 88 mph. It sure felt like there was more left also! There are some great bargains on the Donzi's right now, I would definately give them a look. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Can we toss Fountain in the mix just for S n'Gs?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcl
Although I know Cigarette boats I have no experience about Donzi's. What is Donzi quality, is it equal to Cigarette in terms of robustness, performance, handling?
Is there a real justification between the price of a Cigarette 39TG and a Donzi 38R (about 120K USD less)?
Thanks for your opinion!
Price difference was pretty close when new, difference used is due to high volumes of Donzis out there compared to lower production Cigs and Donzi is no longer in production. The 38 ZR's had some hull cracking issues a couple years back. I believe Donzi stepped up and took care of the owners but being the state of the company I wouldn't expect that now.

Maybe CustomRyder will chime in he has owned both, back to back if I recall.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Can we toss Fountain in the mix just for S n'Gs?

sure but to equal the size of a 38 cig or donzi it will have to be a 42' fountain.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
sure but to equal the size of a 38 cig or donzi it will have to be a 42' fountain.

Oh, see..........you haaaaaad to go there.

Now ya did it!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply!
What's about handling? And ability to rough waters?
I didn't know that the company is out of production. Does this means that they stopped the production temporarily or they intend to close the company?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcl
I didn't know that the company is out of production. Does this means that they stopped the production temporarily or they intend to close the company?
I believe mass production halted in June 2008. Two boats have surfaced as 2010's (Red 38 CC and Black 35 ZR) but I suspect they were assembled out of parts laying around the shop not actually new layups.

I believe the same company that owns Fountain, owns Donzi/Proline as well. What will come of the future is anyone's guess......
Old 07-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Registered

Donzi is not out of production, they have been building boats every month since last fall. Like everybody else, they slowed and periodically stopped production to get field inventory levels down, but since last November have been building 3-4 boats a month and from the Donzi rep I know, have a 2 month backlog of sold boats and a few new dealers that have come on board in the last few weeks.
Call the factory and talk to Craig Barrie, the same Craig Barrie that put Cigerette on the map.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

The dealer I bought mine from has 4 boats in the order bank in different stages of the building process- they are definately NOT out of production but stopped production for a few months due to the amount of new, leftover boats still out on the market. No different than any of the auto manufacturers do when there is a surplus of new inventory on the market....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.