Like Tree0Likes

Which was better SBI Miami/APBA Daytona

Old 05-02-2002, 10:41 AM
Boat Girl

Thank you TOO OLD, Finally the voice of reason, but please can we stop confusing me with RG, I'm Boat Girl, not River Girl...I get too confused myself when that happens...

Thanks again Gasm, I had a blast...

Eric- UMMM so are you saying that people that left APBA to come to SBI cheat....UMMM I can think of one Super V team that might take offense to that...As far as the same old People, Reverie was brand new, and Priestley racing team is also new...There were several new faces...I like racing no matter who the promoter is from boats to pig racing, its just the thrill of competition, I just noticed some differences, as there are differences in the promoters...No harm no foul...I will go to another APBA race on non race week for SBI...

T2X- I miss you guys, I am gonna miss Skaterfest
but I will check out all the action on your son's website...

Last edited by Boat Girl; 05-02-2002 at 10:51 AM.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Default Hey SnglStack. . .better check YOUR numbers!

FYI

62 boats started in a total of 3 races on Saturday and Sunday at the APBA event in Daytona!

10 more were registered, but did not complete the start for one reason or another.

Here is the breakdown from Daytona:

Super Cat: 7 raced, 2 DNS
Super Cat Light Inboard: 4 raced
Super Cat Lt. Outboard Triple: 3 raced
Super Cat Lt. Inboard Twin: 1 raced
Super Vee: 3 raced
Super Vee Lt. Twin: 4 raced
Super Vee Lt. Single: 3 raced, 1 DNS
Factory 2: 8 raced, 1 DNS
Factory 1: 12 raced
Outlaw A: 2 raced, 1 DNS
PX: 1 raced
P1: 2 raced
P2: 2 raced
P3: 2 raced
P4: 3 raced, 3 DNS
P5: 2 raced, 1 DNS
One Design: 3 raced, 1 DNS

I can name them, if you like.

Realized Gain
One Design #1
Old 05-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

Ted Zoli,

Nicky not running with you any longer? The boat looks AWESOME!!!!!!! Saw it on the other thread. Good luck this season.

Shane
Old 05-02-2002, 11:14 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Eric knocks out tx2 , while T2x, sitting in the ABC corporate box, munches on hors doevres and observes the amazing resemblance between Treadwell and Muhammed Ali........... while wondering who tx2 is anyway....?

There are two separate and distinct points being addressed here. One is the accessability of racers at events, and that is a large one. In my experience this is somewhat dependent on how well prepared the team is prior to the event, the size of the team, and whether or not some capricious "gremlin" has bitten them while testing (causing a round the clock asses and elbows engine/drive/boat rebuild). Once a sport is established, true fans desire nothing more than a chance to , if not rub elbows with, get some friendly contact with drivers, crew people, et al. (autographs, pictures with the kids and so on) A good team would be wise to take every opportunity in this regard.....and Ted, specifically, has always gone out of his way to practice what he preaches...... Heck , he even talked to me a time or two..... before I became obsolete....

The second issue is more difficult but also involves the racers. That is the ongoing battle between sanctioning bodies. The damage from this is deep and not always obvious to the front line participants, for instance:

1. TV networks...... after too many years of constant wooing from too many groups claiming to be the "real" offshore series including not only APBA and SBI, but USO, Great Lakes Silver Cup, Popbra, etc........ have no real faith in the validity of any of them...... and this won't be corrected for quite some time. Couple this to the poor overall quality of the programming, including many of the ones I was associated with, with far too many classes, on far too many "Series", no recognizable "Stars", and no season long rivalries or discernable competition stories, and you have a product that has never been TV friendly to begin with.

Remember, It's not what you, the racers, want to see, it's what Joe Couch Potato finds interesting enough to commit viewing time to and the resultant sponsor "impressions". No civilian after watching SINGLE class racing at its best in CART, NASCAR, Formula One, etc, wants to waste time watching what are essentially over powered, over sized pleasure boats duking it out in 15-25 classes.....much less with "payoffs" to local sites that resemble 10 minute commercials on the wonders of the Florida Gulf coast....... The failure to recognize and effectively deal with this issue for the past 20 years is the single biggest failure in our sport's TV marketing effort.....and it can't be done with multiple sanctioning bodies....... while combined sponsor/manufacturer/participants call the shots.

2. Potential and lost racers:......... How many boat owners, disgusted by the ongoing shenanigans and war between the groups, have simply gotten out of the sport altogether? As in the TV scenario above, until the sport unifies and simplifies, true world class sponsorships will not be available to either the events or the race teams. 10 years ago a top competitor left the sport after racers (heavily influenced by one of the "leaders") refused to commit to a $2,000,000 annual series sponsor...... over a perceived loss of "control" by that same leader..... not much has changed in that regard...The emperor still has no clothes.

Most owners leave because of budget concerns stemming from constantly escalating equipment costs, and this will continue until real 6 and 7 figure sponsor opportunities exist.......based on those elusive TV viewers.

3.Sponsorships:.........While you may point to various "sponsorships" in place now, look objectively at the average time they stay on board, and the true size of their investment. When a multinational, multi-billion dollar enterprise commits a few thousand dollars, or some products, to a sport, that is not a commitment to build around..... Is it better than zero? Sure if it's going somewhere and the sport is on the upswing. Upswing?? Remember, Offshore racing has been established for over 40 years. Beach volleyball came and went in under 10, and the new extreme sports (Downhill skateboarding, BMX, etc) reach ESPN level in only months....... Let me see are we still on ESPN?
Sponsorships are highest on the networks, next the "major" (ESPN, Turner,) cables, mid range cable, and finally the "Knitting Network".......... we're slowly but surely moving down the scale, while kids on rollerblades rocket upward.

If I get a little "testy" at times it's only because I love the sport of boat racing and have been involved with it in some form or another since I was 9 years old. Last year I got more rest than I've had in 20 years...and went boating...where I found true enthusiasts who have no affiliations beyond a Poker Run or two . I also have more time to write......... that book about offshore....many of you asked about.

I wish all of you in specific order....Safe Races and Poker Runs, health, financial security for your families and enjoyable times on the water. Everything else is B.S. anyway.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-02-2002 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 36' cutdown Skater

Words of Wisdom, Rich with the TV issues being far-and-away the most important in my mind.

This is going to get flamed i'm sure, but the TV product is not THAT hard to fix...it is just that aspects of the fix may not be too palatable.

First, i believe we have to personalize the riding crews a lot. We need "spoken" rivalries such as "I'll push him on the beach next time!" (as long as we don't believe it!) Good guys and bad guys. Outrageos (not lewd) signs etc. It is the only way to attract and keep the "World Class Wrestling" constituency which, want them or not, are partially ours now.

We need turn cameras. If we don't have cameras in every important turn we will never "narrate" a race showing the excitement that is there. The cameras can be on the bottom and remote...it is not rocket science but it is more money.

We need scripts that have more "this is what happened last race, and here what we are looking for this race" kind of dialogue, highlighting all of the matchups. We need statistics to make the points here.

We need a digital light pole for TV and should have a real one for the site spectators. Just look at F1 (cars). You have SC and numbers, SV and numbers, SCL and numbers etc. top to bottom. This is the only way i can think of to un-confuse the classes.

We need a dramatic flash intro that showcases every boat that runs during the year for 1/2 second over a drum role al la NYPD, with the Offshore equivalent of "Let's get ready to rumble." Showing all of the race boats impresses the breadth of the sport and equipment one can relate to.

Lastly, we don't need parades. Painful as it is we need to "mix it up" for a number of laps so tight racing can be photographed. If the last two laps someone wants to and can blow away the competition, that's fine but anyone who has communication with their crew during a race and gets T + 20 seconds ahead and doesn't stabalize that lead is, in my mind, hurting the sport and their equipment needlessly.

Comments? Flames? Death threats???

Ted
Old 05-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 36' cutdown Skater

Shane,

Nicky will be throttling in Marathon...schedule conflicts in Daytona. Gary was great!

Ted
Old 05-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Registered

Ted,

Good points. You too T2x. Did anyone read my post?

Shane
Old 05-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

So many of us seem to "know" what the problems are. The question is...Who will be the one to finally make it happen? We all have our own ideas as to what needs to be done. Who has teh time, money and stamina to develop a plan and to put it into action? My personal view is that APBA has started but there is still a LOOONNNGGG way to go.

Ted,

Who is Gary? Gary Ballough?
Old 05-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Registered

Ted Zoli, T2X, Shane, Too Old, and other intelligent contributors:

I have a question. The circular format of the race course, as opposed to the straight line, and the close proximity to the shore was conceived for several obvious reasons. It serves to engage with spectators and it cuts costs on following boats that break down 50 miles away from the start line. However, since spectators don't account for a large enough segment of viewers when compared to the television universe, I wonder what would happen if a straight line race were resurrected from the past. It would allow viewers to follow the race more easily. Currently, it is so difficult, both from the shore and on television to watch several classes racing silultaneously, sometimes lapping each other with no clearly defined finishing line. As someone who has more than a mild interest in boat racing I find it hard to follow. Imagine the casual viewer who turns this on television for the first time. You might say, "NASCAR racies in a circle" but then again, they are all in the same class and up close. Look at a lit of endurance races that get coverage. Agreed, bike racing is not a household sport, but several races throughout the year get good coverage. I'd love to hear your comments. I am interested in brainstorming some possible solutions with everyone. I'm no rocket scientist, but I am confident that if a group of us know the problems we can apply the same kind of energy toward a solution.

Thanks Guys.

Randy Taylor
Old 05-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Registered

By the way,

The insight I have to offer is from an advertising perspective. I have been working here in New York for 8 years in the industry and am in business school right now. I have had a couple of Superboats in the past. I am aware that a lot of the folks in this forum have many years of professional experience and experience in boating. It would really be great to brainstorm. Let's get started.

Randy