Notices

Fountain Deck

Old 07-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fountain Deck

I'm looking at 42' Fountain lightnings in about the '98-'2001 year range. I notice that they can have either the classic deck or the newer style deck. I'm undecided on which one I like better. Is there any real difference between the two except for how they look? I like the classic look, but I also like the more modern wrapped windshied look however it's quite a tall windshield in that year range. Just wondering if one has any sort of advantage over the other.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As fast as Fountains are I would get the windshield. The 42PR will protect everybody from high cockpit winds.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Newer style will give you a little more head room in the cabin and more depth in the cockpit. There are lower profile windshields available that would go on in place of the taller version. At one time there was a difference in the bottom design, now both are the same. I'm not exactly sure when they became the same but someone will likely answer that for you here. Fountain factory could do so as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I didn't know about the cabin and cockpit room. That is good to know because I am a bit concerned on how tight it is in there. I think I'm leaning toward the new style now. I figured I could change out the windshield for a lower one if I wanted.

I think this year range has the hull with the big steps too and of course staggered engines. I figured the big steps are faster than the smaller ones. I have also heard that the handling gets more squirrely though with the big steps.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The older Classic deck boats (Executioner Style) have smaller steps than the Lightning (newer style) boats in 06 Fountain started sharing the lower hull on both models. It was I think 02 when they updated the classic bottom but both running surfaces weren't shared till 06 if I remember correctly . The Lightning has a lot more amenities than the Classic also flush toilet fridge shore power is more common ect I know of a 07 EX for sale with low hrs Stg 525s motivated seller..I will give you his number if you are interested.

Last edited by blownincome; 07-12-2010 at 05:36 AM.