Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for a reputable cylinder head shop in NH or MA (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/234468-looking-reputable-cylinder-head-shop-nh-ma.html)

502ss 07-11-2010 05:58 PM

Looking for a reputable cylinder head shop in NH or MA

Just got done yanking one of my engines with only 5 hours on it and it looks like a bent valve. Looks like the shop didn't assembly properly and one of the guides grabbed! Anyway, I need to have these heads repaired and have the other set on the other engine gone through completely. Who can I count on to due the proper diligence and put these together. I would prefer a shop in NH or MA

Thanks
Jim

wananewboat 07-11-2010 07:43 PM

You could call Paugus Bay Marina and talk to Reggie, he should know of someone.

letterrip 07-11-2010 08:00 PM

Hey I use Butler & McMaster in Auburn Maine...!

ask for Dave Butler or Spencer. they are full service soup to nuts! 15 employees etc..... a real company
they have a dyno, are very honset, very $ reasonable, & very kind.
they probably could pick up your motor if needed. they do for me and I am in MA.
also they are not part of the marine scam world like others.

I can't say enough for them.
... I do not know or have a angle or some connection with them just good honest guys that I stumbled across 3 years ago. and their reputation is large and well known when you start asking around.
pm me if you want to know any more.

Biggus 07-11-2010 08:53 PM

+1 for Butler & Mc Master. (Dave Mc Master BTW)

They do impeccable work. They've done a fair amount of work for me over the years and did the heads on my Top Gun the last time I re-freshed. Never an issue.

They are not too far from you in Hollowell, Maine

323 Water St
Hallowell, ME 04347-1341 map
Phone:(207) 623-8895

Kurt

blownincome 07-12-2010 05:26 AM

+2 For Butler!! Good People Sent customers there,They were Very Happy With them!
Hey Kurt How you Been?

TOASTY 07-12-2010 06:09 AM

There is a person either on this board or boat freaks dot something that is in the machining business. He does great work. Also owns a sutphen that goes 100++ i believe he is in mass. Bill something is his name. he owns a sutphen with an american flag cushin over the engine compartment... sorry i am vague but he is near you and does what you need

letterrip 07-12-2010 06:43 AM

Yup Billy, Sutphen 30 he is another great guy who could take care of ya!

Sick Stinger 07-12-2010 08:03 AM

Jim Reed or Precision Machine in dight MA thats who does mine.
-Mike

olredalert 07-12-2010 08:28 AM

-----Its Jim Reid, Reids Automotive in Whitman Mass, (near Brockton) but you have the right idea. He built every motor I had done for years until I moved to Michigan. Race motors (drag) as well as restoration motors (mostly Corvettes). Oh,,,He has a dyno on sight and isnt afraid to use it, LOL. Simply one of the best on the east coast IMHO. Cant lay my hands on my phone book or Id post his #, but call him and tell him I gave you his name........Bill Stephenson

502ss 07-13-2010 07:40 PM

Thank you all for the great recommendation's!

I posted the same question in the northeast forum and got several recommendations for Jim Reid. At this point I think he is my first choice since he is on my way home from work.

Kurt - I am really bummed I won't have the scarab on Sebago this year. It ran real good for the 4 or 5 hours it ran! I guess there is always next year!

Thanks again for all the good info

...Jim