Attn. Fl Boaters, espeically Lee County boaters

Notices

Attn. Fl Boaters, espeically Lee County boaters

Old 05-01-2002, 11:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs down Attn. Fl Boaters, espeically Lee County boaters

I found this @ www.standing-watch.org The STM will NEVER STOP until they control the Fl. Waterways. I'm not sure what to do about this, other than spread the word! Check out the map @ Standing-Watch about what they are proposing to INCREASE the Manatee Zones in Lee County!
MD

"Keeping Our Guard Up"
By
Jim Kalvin

The celebration over the passing of the Harrington Bill was short-lived. Forget about the fact that Save the Manatee Club immediately took credit for pushing the bill through – even though they lobbied against it, and called for all politicians to “defeat this anti-manatee legislation” until minutes before the final unanimous passage by the House and Senate. There are items in the works that make this issue pale by comparison, and could immediately affect all boaters and water access enthusiasts in Florida.

First and foremost, the Judge presiding over the Administrative Challenge to the Brevard County Manatee Protection plan ruled against all issues raised by the boating interests. You can read more detail on that in my letter, “At The Helm” elsewhere in this newsletter.

Second, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has stopped all dock permitting in Lee County. Period. In the release issued by the “Service,” they state – in their own words, “It is unclear if there is anything an applicant could do to get a permit.” This is done due to pressure from Save the Manatee Club, and is the first flex of the muscle that is known as the D.C. Settlement Agreement – whereby the Service is expected to take “emergency management measures” at the behest of the Club – when it is deemed that there is “inadequate protection” in place for manatees.

This second issue is worrisome, because manatee mortality in Lee County spiked immediately following the implementation of vast, and comprehensive speed zones that were put in place by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. These zones force all boats in the Caloosahatchee River into the Intracoastal Channel to run on plane. Synoptic survey data shows that the edges of this channel is where the manatees travel when they leave the power plant to attempt to find food much further to the west.

They concentrated all vessel traffic right in with the manatees, and mortality spiked. And now, regulators, scientists, and resource managers are perplexed at the record fatalities attributed to boat strikes. Rather than re-evaluate the new speed zones that were put in place immediately prior to this, the Club and the Service have chosen to stop the issuance of permits throughout the County.

The effect on businesses? Devastating. Marine Contractors, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, boat-lift manufacturers, hardware & lumber suppliers, and all related employees will be directly and immediately impacted. Space prohibits discussion of the impact on the life-styles of waterfront property owners.

On another topic, which could be even more devastating to ALL OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS IN FLORIDA - Save the Manatee Club has intervened in a case going to the Florida Supreme Court that was filed by the Carribean Conservation Corporation, Inc. The case number is SCO1 – 1885. The Case is Carribean Cons. Corp. vs Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. At issue is whether the FFWCC is answerable to the Legislature on any issues regarding protection of protected species – namely, manatees. SMC contends that the FFWCC is a constitutional agency, and that this exempts them from any “interference” by our elected officials.

The Marine Industries Association filed a brief explaining that the Legislature delegated the rule-making for manatee protection to the FWCC after they became an agency (via Florida ballot in 1999). Therefore, the Legislature should retain responsibility and direction over the issue. They were successful, and the Judge ruled that the Bureau of Protected Species Management (as an arm of the FFWCC) is answerable to the Legislature. SMC is taking the matter to the Supreme Court, and if they are successful, BPSM and the FFWCC will be able to operate as they wish, with our elected representatives having no say, or control, over what the agency is able to do.

Given the present state of affairs with respect to unanswered questions, perceived abuses of regulatory authority, perceived excessive regulatory programs, the lack of consideration of public input or the economic impact of these regulations – all while the agency is answerable to the Legislature – I shudder to think of what the so-called “environmental” special interests will be able to do if this initiative is allowed to win the day.

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 05-01-2002 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's another sickening display of over-regulation and misguided legislation.

Rather than re-examine the particular manatee zones which were contributed to record numbers of deaths, what do they do?...They make more nonsensical zones and restrictions. It's absurd.

That new initiative is scary.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Nick,
You are correct, this lawsuit that the STM wants to take to the Fl Supreme Court, would basically allow the FFWCC to be funded by the Fl. Leg. (AKA the Fl. taxpayers) and allow the FFWCC to be accountable to NO ONE in the State of FL. Gov't, or Fl. citizens!! The only people the FFWCC will be accountable to will be the STM Club, The Sierra Club, PETA, etc! And remember, this isn't just about boating in Fl., it will affect anybody who is an OUTDOOR ENTHUSIAST!! This action on the Behalf of the STM club is their response to us TAYPAYERS getting our State Reps involved this year and passing the NEW Manatee Legislation!! The STM Club wants NO more interference from the Fl. Legislature!!!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 05-01-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Dean
I just bought a house on the Cal river about a mile from the power plant, and just had the manatee regs lifted. Heard about the dock permit situation, but thought it was a temp thing till they get it resolved. BTW the STM folks go up to the power plant and pitch lettice into the water to lure the manatees up..and they got caught. I dont know the outcome. but the pricks will try anything its obvious. So far I've been lucky..I got my dock in and havent hit any of the friggin things yet. Its gonna be a tough one this year..I'll try to keep abreast of things. Look foward to meetin you sometime.
Dan
Old 05-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by DanB
...the STM folks go up to the power plant and pitch lettice into the water to lure the manatees up..and they got caught...
Well, isn't that nice...Job security is priority #1, manatees come second!

How ya been, Dan? Do have an article of that, I would love to read it...
Old 05-02-2002, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean,

I am sure glad I don't live in Florida. Unbelievable! It is so frustrating and infuriating that I cannot even think straight. Good luck to everyone fighting these eco-terrorists!

Shane
Old 05-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

DanB,
I too would be very interested in reading ANYTHING you have on that story about the STM pitching lettece to the Manatees. I'm glad you got your dock in before they stopped issuing permits. I also have a Q?, in your post said the Manatee Regs were lifted? Do you mean they took some Manatee zones out? How far do you have to idle? Do you know how the NEW Zones are going to affect you?
The BIGGER worry is if the STM can BEAT this lawsuit before the Fl. Supreme Court, then everything OUTDOORS in Fl. will be up for regulation by the tree-huggers, and we, the citizens of Fl. or OUR Fl. State Gov't can't do ANYTHING about it!!!!!!!
I too look forward to meeting you and family, and BTW,
WELCOME to FL.
Shane,
Good morning, and yes it so frustrating, yet I REFUSE to let these MFer's ruin our way of life and they are TRYING to keep Manatees in Harm's way!!
BD,
Hey brother,
MD
Old 05-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Dean
I didnt see the lettice thing in the papers, it was on a local radio station here. The no wake manatee zones run from about nov to mar on the river, then its back to the normal stuff.
Funny thing..a manatee came up to me when i was working on my dock and just laid there lookin at me for about 20 mins.....i guess he thought i was a stm'er and thought i'd feed him. They got them trained now i guess. Didnt think much about it at the time till I heard about the lettice trick.
Dan
Old 05-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These things migrated up from the West Indies they are not indigenous to Florida Period! Maybe that is the answer we need to find what, and import some! Natural enemies that is.

Best Regards
Old 05-04-2002, 03:10 PM
supercrash

Steve1...Sorry to dissagree...but...there are fossil records in Florida that place the Manatee there 45 million years ago....And this also bears repeating....We are the only species on the planet that has the power to protect ALL the Species...Think about it...

Quick Reply: Attn. Fl Boaters, espeically Lee County boaters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.